Pelikan Colors For Business Setting

DCirjan

Hey,

After a lot of years time as a researcher, I am forced to enter a (even) more conservative, quasi-corporatist environnent. It is a rather strange change for me, but I was wondering about something. My EDC pen in the last years has been a M205 in blue marble: I like it more than my M1000 urushis or my vintage 700. I like the style, the color: plus I am not a big fun of big pens, as I grew up using vintage-sized pens. My issue is whether you would consider the M205 to be appropriate for a very conservative work environment: I like the elegance of the colors, more than the Souverens in Blue, but the pearlescent shiny effect might be too much. For people more accustomed to a classical business setting, what do you think: is the M205 too much, are the shiny effects too much on the "showy" side of life?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DCirjan

• Tom Kellie

• Karmachanic

• Bo Bo Olson

~ Pasenow:

Although my career has also been as a researcher, it was never in a corporate setting.

Like you, I'm not a fan of larger fountain pens. Pelikans MXXX models are ideal for many of my writing needs.

Two months ago I gave a Pelikan M205 Blue Marble to a long-time friend who is a Head of School in the United States.

Next year he'll relocate to northern Africa to another Head of School position.

He told me that his M205 Blue Marble is ideal for his workplace setting.

It's very slightly flashy, yet sufficiently understated to fit in well in a sedate office.

I admire the discreet elegance of the type of fountain pen you have.

Thank you for asking this question. It caused me to pause and think.

Tom K.

Get a Black M205 as back-up, and fill it with subversive ink. KWZ Walk Over Vistula for instance. :)

Add lightness and simplicate.

Thanks so much for the replies ... I am really attached to the pen and since I don`t like changing work-pens too often (the rotating pens strategy does not work for my workhorses), I was hoping the M205 blue flashiness would be just that right amount of stylistic cheekiness which is pushing it but it`s still not beyond the pale for a conservative setting.

I see nothing wrong with using that pen in a conservative setting. Maybe others will be more interested in the fact that you are using a fountain pen rather than a ballpoint. ;)

If you want a color that's really conservative (and don't want a black pen) try to find one of the Anthracite Stresemanns. When they came out with that color in the M800 size, I was going "Dang -- too big and heavy a pen for me. But if they came out with them in the smaller M400 size? I'd be knocking over banks to pay for one...." :rolleyes: Then when they *did* come out with the M405 Stresemann a couple of years later, it was at a perfect time for me because due to circumstances that will never happen again, I was able to afford one (and ordered an M405 in the Striated Blue as well). The Anthracite is definitely darker than the publicity photos led me to believe, BTW; I was actually hoping for a lighter grey, but it's still a nice color (and also my most expensive pen...).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I'm retired now but when I was working, if any member of staff had time to notice or care what I was writing with, people would have thought they weren't working hard or efficiently enough.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

:thumbup:

With in three minutes no one will have time to worry.

Green stripped would stand out to those using ball points.

I would have trouble thinking of a modern work place with mono-tone neck ties.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

To me the blue marbled m205 is quite elegant and may be well accepted in a conservative environment. The only time that I had to work in such an environment I used a m605 solid blue (the Galeria-Kaufhof LE)... and it was ok, though it is bigger, with two-color nib and very shiny blue. In comparison the m205 is less flashy and may be the right choice. Or as an alternative, like inkstainedruth already suggested, a m405 stresemann.

I am using a black Parker 51 Special at work and meetings. People actually notice that it is not a common ball point pen, but if you use the same pen over years, no one will care about. It will be just part of you.

Just my experience.

Good luck with the new job!

c.

Edited by christof

In my 40 years in the insurance corporate world, I used a Parker big red, across Townsend gold plated, and striped pelicans – blue and tortoise. The only ink I ever used was Parker penman emerald. Providing your competent, it matters very little what you write with or what your hobbies are.

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

I work in an environment that is very pro-technology in many ways, but a fairly conservative profession within a relatively conservative industry. (accounting - the company is in real estate. They own Senior Housing, Commercial (office) and Multifamily properties) Very few people even realize that I use fountain pens. I am aware of one co-worker company wide that has/uses fountain pens on any sort of basis.

I will use anything from a M400 White Tortoise to a 50's 140 and 400 NN among my Pelikans. I even have a M200 Gold Marbled, Brown Marbled, Blue Marbled (old style) and Cognac. With nib sizes from EF (400 NN) to OB (Blue Marbled)

Edited by Runnin_Ute

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

In all the years i found that almost never someone cares....it may be noticed that i am the one mostly using a fountain pen, and thats it. Regardless if the pen is understated or bling, low or high cost. Most people will have no idea about the costs of a specific pen anyway. Occasionally some slight interest or a question about, mostly when it is a demonstrator or a intense ink.

That unfortunately changes when i carry a Montblanc, that snowflake Is too easy recognized after decades of the luxuritymarketing. Well, we have to live with it. For my own amusement, when we dont have customers on site and the dresscode is no one cares, wearing a metal t-shirt and using a MB sometimes produces almost comical facial expressions. Contrary kind of thoughts battling in the head. ;o)

Edited by scratchofapen

In all the years i found that almost never someone cares....it may be noticed that i am the one mostly using a fountain pen, and thats it. Regardless if the pen is understated or bling, low or high cost. Most people will have no idea about the costs of a specific pen anyway. Occasionally some slight interest or a question about, mostly when it is a demonstrator or a intense ink.

That unfortunately changes when i carry a Montblanc, that snowflake Is too easy recognized after decades of the luxuritymarketing.

I agree with this statement.

While I agree that other people probably don't notice/care what you use, if you're concerned the Blue marble might be too flashy, you might check out the Brown marble; it's perhaps a bit more understated. ;)

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

I'm retired now but when I was working, if any member of staff had time to notice or care what I was writing with, people would have thought they weren't working hard or efficiently enough.

+1. Nobody gives a rat's behind what you are writing with. Seriously, if your choice of pen damages your reputation there, you have way bigger issues to worry about at that job...

I wouldn't worry about it, rhodium trim might be the more staid choice.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell