Disney Skyline, I Broke My Own Rule

Addertooth

Well, I broke my own darn rule. I must admit that I was never attracted to the following sales pitch...

"It is a Limited edition, serial numbered, cartoogliac bompass snootdorner golden eclipse Lancaster edition Bendix pen!"

It seemed that some limited editions seemed to lose their meaning and value over time. So many times, special editions have a rather timely context to their labels.

But....

I had wanted to get one of the 1990s Skylines for a while. They always seemed to bid up to a high price ($175 to $350ish), and I didn't want one that badly.

The Bold nib on the 90s Skylines seemed to have more presence than the 1940s skylines, and the fact they are a Cartridge/Converter pen seemed like an

interesting choice to revive a product line which was 50 years old in the 90s.

So, flipping through E-Bay, I saw the "Walt Disney" Skyline pen listed with a "Buy It Now" price of $125.

I would have gladly paid that price for a pristine unmolested 90s Skyline, but...

Disney had been in promotional advertisements in the 1940s, he was known to use a Skyline.

It was number 381 of 750, with original box, documentation, and certificate.

It was freshly listed, so only about 6 people had seen the listing (6 people in the past hour according to E-Bay counters).

It was a snap decision, but it was snagged.

Enough chatter, the pictures:

fpn_1574811890__pen_horizontal_cap_on_in

fpn_1574812015__pen_horizontal_cap_on_in

fpn_1574812076__pen_cap_off_zoom_nib.jpg

fpn_1574812144__authenticity_certificate

fpn_1574812234__walt_disney_promotional_

Edited by Addertooth

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Addertooth

• Ted F

• jchch1950

• crescentfiller

Top Posters In This Topic

I will be able to answer that when it arrives. It most likely will be one of the pens which gets curated, rather than used to any measurable amount. There are a few truly amazing writers in my (group of pens which I refuse to call a collection). I tend to rotate through those pens, which show some wear and are not diminished by actual use.

A picture which was taken at a Walt Disney Museum. The museum holds some of the contents of his office/workspace. The picture was not taken by me. Courtesy of some unknown photographer.

fpn_1574861101__from_walt_disney_museum_

I've read that Walt was especially fond of the snootdorner on his Skyline.

Be sure to let us know how the cartoogliac bompass snootdorner performs on yours!

I had always heard that Snootdorners are critical when using Pigment based inks, as versus saturated dye inks. The Snootdorner, true to its name, magnifies the coriolis effect, and insures a constant mixing action which is critical for heavy pigment based inks. Once those pigments fall out of suspension, you can end up with unequal application of color/pigments to the paper, and clogging of the feed. Everyone also has concerns about the effects which highly saturated red dye based inks (such as Noodlers) has on latex sacs, the highly vaunted cartoogliac-action should delay any degradation and decay of the latex sac. It's ionic-transfer of cross-matrix linked Palladium within the latex sac, should prevent the delicate membrane from being disrupted. But then, this is all quite hush-hush, the Nibmeister who told me this swore me to near-secrecy. In all fairness, I truly believe the bompass feature is overblown with no net gain in aligning straight lines due North.