The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

L.a. Pen Show -- February 2020

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#41 AnnaZed

AnnaZed

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 January 2020 - 21:30

Yes concentrate on the fun and try not to worry about making a complete ass of myself. Good plan. (seriously)

Sponsored Content

#42 Calabria

Calabria

Pelikano

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 January 2020 - 01:38

I almost didnt go to the LA show for all the criticism it gets here. Ive been two times now and think its lovely. I guess I dont mind paying 55$ for a show pass; I enjoy the less crowded days. Its less hectic and I make better decisions.

The old location had meter parking which was totally reasonable. Dont know about the new location. Hotel parking is always a ripoff. Thats life! Im going to stay overnight this time and combine it with visiting some art galleries.
"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."
– Lin Yu-T'ang

#43 Greenie

Greenie

Collectors Item

• FPN Mabie Todd Group Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 January 2020 - 02:40

Well this year you can easily park at the mall and walk over to the hotel!  

#44 TitoThePencilPimp

TitoThePencilPimp

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 January 2020 - 05:29

Sounds kind of outrageous to charge the amount of a decent dodger stadium ticket for a pen show imo.

#45 Calabria

Calabria

Pelikano

• Member - Gold

• 1,646 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 February 2020 - 02:17

Sounds kind of outrageous to charge the amount of a decent dodger stadium ticket for a pen show imo.

Depends on what you prefer! 😂
"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."
– Lin Yu-T'ang

#46 terim

terim

Antique

• Premium - Ruby

• 1,890 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 February 2020 - 21:54

Agreed!  We are going this year to scope out the new setting and see if it's something we want to do in 2021.

Change of plans! We will not be attending the show this year, but we do plan on selling in 2021. Unless the feedback about the show and venue is discouraging .....

Teri Morris, PEYTON STREET PENS

Visit the Peyton Street Pens web site.

Instagram for Peyton Street Pens
We list new pens on the web site daily ....here's a link to the very latest additions.

#47 MisterSheaffer

MisterSheaffer

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 23:42

Change of plans! We will not be attending the show this year, but we do plan on selling in 2021. Unless the feedback about the show and venue is discouraging .....

Bummer to hear. Was looking forward to seeing you at the show.

#48 Seney724

Seney724

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 February 2020 - 04:25

Bummer to hear. Was looking forward to seeing you at the show.

Me too!  You will be missed Teri......

Looking forward to a great few days at the Show!!!   :thumbup:

#49 AnnaZed

AnnaZed

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 February 2020 - 21:09

I am going for one day, actually just part of one day - tomorrow. Given that the tables are first come etc. you will likely find me sitting on the floor with my collection of Japanese Pocket Pens and a wary smile. I am a diminutive grey haired person of eccentric style, always wearing a grey smock over my clothes.

#50 Stompie

Stompie

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,443 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 February 2020 - 16:22

I see on Instagram that one of the pen stalls has had an entire tray of Mont Blanc pens stolen!!!

#51 AnnaZed

AnnaZed

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 February 2020 - 17:06

I am going for one day, actually just part of one day - tomorrow. Given that the tables are first come etc. you will likely find me sitting on the floor with my collection of Japanese Pocket Pens and a wary smile. I am a diminutive grey haired person of eccentric style, always wearing a grey smock over my clothes.

Crikey! I'm headed there now. Maybe I should be glad that my pens are relatively obscure!

#52 GoldenNibs

GoldenNibs

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 February 2020 - 17:07

I see on Instagram that one of the pen stalls has had an entire tray of Mont Blanc pens stolen!!!

Yup. It was Sarj Minhas' tray of Montblancs. They took the whole tray and ran. I hope they catch the thief. 

#53 pen lady

pen lady

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,421 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 February 2020 - 17:30

Oh my goodness! That's just awful, what a way to start a show and he travels from the UK does't he?

#54 GoldenNibs

GoldenNibs

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 February 2020 - 18:33

It is awful. I know the occasional pen or two gets swiped at shows but a whole tray is pretty crazy. What's next? Thieves swiping a whole 48 pen binder right off a vendor's table?

#55 AnnaZed

AnnaZed

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 February 2020 - 04:52

I was there today with my Pocket Pens. I met Stan!! He's the most debonair man.

I'm amazed that a thief got away with stealing anything given that there were so few humans of any stripe in that room. As predicted a roomful of afficiados looking askance at each other's goods.

I sold 1 pen.

#56 Parker51

Parker51

Old dog

• Member - Gold

• 1,744 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 February 2020 - 16:44

I am curios about Security at the LA show?
Do they have uniformed Security?
Do they require the wearing of a Landyard with an identifying placard with your name on it matching your advanced registration for weekend participants/ exhibitors?
Are there a number of Security personell patrolling the pen show, is there only one way to enter and leave the show and is there a full time Security staff person on duty at it?
Does security check to make certain that every person entering the show has paid admission/ identifying placard?
I ask as that is what I have experienced at the Ohio Pen Show.

#57 Barry Gabay

Barry Gabay

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,236 posts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 17:37

Awful about Sarj's  pens! He is such a kind and friendly person. Of course, it is terrible for anyone to be robbed under any circumstances. I hope the thief is caught and pens returned to this very nice gentleman. 

#58 AnnaZed

AnnaZed

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 February 2020 - 20:03

I am curious about Security at the LA show?

1. Do they have uniformed Security?
2. Do they require the wearing of a Lanyard with an identifying placard with your name on it matching your advanced registration for weekend participants/ exhibitors?
3. Are there a number of Security personnel patrolling the pen show,

4. is there only one way to enter and leave the show and is there a full time Security staff person on duty at it?
5. Does security check to make certain that every person entering the show has paid admission/ identifying placard?
6. I ask as that is what I have experienced at the Ohio Pen Show.

1. Yes, but not much in evidence; this is during the hours after the crime when I arrived.

2. They issued me one as a Trader. A curious feature of this lanyard being that, probably purchased in some spasm of cheapness, the single band of ribbon caused the placard to flip over (showing its back) almost regardless of what one did to place it correctly. (seriously, what in the ....)

3. Not that I saw, not any.

4, Yes, one entrance, un-manned. There is a registration desk, but yards from the door. My husband wandered in and out all day bringing me coffees without a badge.

5. See #4, in other words no.

Additionally the hotel itself seemed curiously indifferent bordering on hostile. The WiFi required a room number (and those folks paid extra AND it didn't work for them most of the day). Also, everyone's phone had next to no bars. 

#59 EclecticCollector

EclecticCollector

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 February 2020 - 04:37

Also, everyone's phone had next to no bars. 

I'm with T-Mobile. I had near full bars throughout the entire space.

#60 peerless1

peerless1

Antique

• FPN Super Moderators

• 1,842 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 13:40

Parking.

Park in the Del Amo Mall parking structure or lot across the street. It is free. And you get about 1/8 of a mile exercise getting here.

Sunday only:

Today is the day. This is as mentioned a historical accident and should be corrected. There may be additional costs in opening the doors on Saturday that the organizer does not wish to have. 

Lighting:

Poor in most areas. Look at pens closely. You DO NOT need a flashlight.

Space:

Bigger room. Wider aisles. Maybe more tables, which is a big plus.

Who is there?

There were a number of new sellers on Friday and Saturday. Whether they have tables today is unknown. A number of manufacturers representatives are here. Monteverde, Luxury Brands, for the first time. Taccia. will have lots of Japanese stationary today. Others. Some new small firms with interesting pens. Several sellers mentioned sales are lower than last year and last year was a mess. Could be some good buying opportunities as most sellers want to go home with less pens.

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens
The oldest and largest buyer and seller of vintage Japanese pens in America.

Member: Pen Collectors of America & Fuente, THE Japanese Pen Collectors Club

Sponsored Content

|