The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

'El Toro' by WTM Pens

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Phthalo

Phthalo

Ultra Fine

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 10:57

Several weeks ago, I read a review by Blackhill regarding the El Toro pen she purchased from pen creator Wayne Mason (aka 'samuel07'). The unusual shape of the El Toro immediately appealed to me, and as I quite like small, stout pens I decided I would order one.

Two and a half weeks after contacting WTM Pens and deciding on the wood type and trim finish for my El Toro, I received an email advising me that my pen was ready to ship. When I had first emailed Wayne, he responded to my message within a day, with all my questions clearly answered. Subsequent emails were handled the same way – such prompt and personal service was very nice.

For my pen, I chose for my pen Macassar Ebony with Platinum-plated trim. Macassar Ebony is an extremely hard, dense wood with attractive markings.

My El Toro arrived very well packed and presented. A handsome wooden presentation box protected the pen, and included were four cartridges (Private Reserve "Velvet Black" and "Black Magic Blue"), as well as a full-size converter for nib flushing / cleaning.

Appearance / Design / Finish

While the proportions and size of the large cap and short barrel make for a somewhat unusual visual combination, it works. I think my El Toro is a very striking pen, with its bold, shiny trim and chunky look.

The cap unscrews in two and a half turns, and then posts on the threaded barrel-end with one turn. I really like pens that do this, even though the pen is usable un-posted.

Wayne's attention to detail is excellent. The workmanship of my El Toro is perfect - all parts are flush-fitted, smoothly plated and cleanly finished. The finish of the Macassar Ebony wood is particularly nice, with the wood having a beautiful, extremely smooth and silky feel.

This is a heavy pen, at approximately ~48g capped. The cap is a few grams heavier than the body, and the body weighs approximately ~22g. The pen is 115mm / 4.5" capped, 105mm / 4.1" uncapped and 146mm / 5.75" when posted. Posted, the weight is a little more than I am used to, but the pen is well balanced and comfortable to hold, with the slightly-raised metal rings on the grip section providing a subtly-textured gripping area.

Design-wise, I have no complaints about this pen - except for the fact that the clip is very stiff. Due to the weight though, this isn't really a top-pocket pen. It's rather robust and solid - you could put it in your jeans pocket with your keys and not worry about it (except for scuffing), as it's a tough little thing.

Nib / Performance

The El Toro has a very large steel nib imprinted with "Iridium Point Germany" as standard, but a 14K gold nib is available for ~$50 or so extra.

I originally chose a Fine steel nib for El Toro, and was in luck when Wayne was able to manipulate it more toward XF for me. As soon as I was ready to use the pen, I popped a PR Velvet Black cartridge in and started writing on the second stroke! Writing is smooth with no skipping, and the nib is on the side of soft as opposed to a nail.

Filling System

The El Toro takes an international size 'short' cartridge, but the barrel is long enough to accept a squeeze-type or 'bantam' mini converter with a few millimeters to spare. I believe Wayne is trialling these small converters and including them with future pens.

Final Thoughts

The El Toro is a really neat little pen, and the ability to pick a wood and trim combination which appealed to me - plus the lovely workmanship - gives this pen a very personal feeling. (Thank you Wayne!)

Here's the El Toro with another of my stout pens, a JP Lepine "Attila". While these are not pens I can write with all day, I'm rather pleased with my little El Toro! smile.gif

Enjoy! smile.gif

Edited by Phthalo, 30 June 2007 - 10:59.

Laura / Phthalo
Fountain Pens: My Collection · My Weblog · My Flickr Gallery
Follow me on Twitter: @Phthalo

Sponsored Content

#2 jd50ae

jd50ae

http://www.chaeyahne.net

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,400 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 June 2007 - 11:15

I have a pen in that "style" and agree 100% with your review. They are very nice pens and of course I use mine posted.

#3 FrankB

FrankB

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,345 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 11:56

Thank you for another excellent review, Phthalo.

I was completely unaware of WTM Pens. The pens look interesting and I am going to spend some time checking out the web site.

#4 Keng

Keng

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 14:52

Nice review Phthalo. I have also acquired a pen from Wayne recently, customized to my choice of size and wood. He is highly recommended.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money.
- Cree Indian Proverb

#5 MYU

MYU

... The key to it all is Capillary Action! ...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,254 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 July 2007 - 15:48

Excellent review, Laura!

I very much enjoy your attention to detail. I really feel that you've captured the essence of this pen and this has perked my interest to look into what Wayne is up to with his pen crafting.

~Gary
Posted Image
[MYU's Pen Review Corner]

"The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

#6 Dan Carmell

Dan Carmell

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 16:06

Is the nib an Iridium Point Germany or a Schmidt or something else entirely?

I think was sets this handsome pen apart from the typical kit pen is that all the hardware appears to be made just for this pen.

Very cute and nice choice of wood!

Dan

#7 PAKMAN

PAKMAN

Say that again, I have a pen here somewhere...

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,738 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 July 2007 - 16:33

Nice pen. I have one really nice pen from a wood turner and it has the sweetest smoothest nib I've ever used.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif             fpn_1321906507__vanness_sign.jpg 

My Favorite Pen Restorer                            My favorite Brick and Mortar              

now selling online!

#8 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,679 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 July 2007 - 05:04

very pretty pen. wink.gif It remembers me somewhat the chateau lafitte rotschild made by omas.
Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time
Posted Image

Sponsored Content

|