The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

What To Buy?

sailor platinum pilot fountain pen

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Adityakashyap

Adityakashyap

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 November 2019 - 11:28

I am in middle of buying a fountain pen in the near future. I am stuck deciding between 3 pens and need held narrowing down to one. The first one is a SAILOR PROFESSIONAL GEAR with a Medium Nib, the second one is a PILOT CUSTOM 823 with a Medium Nib and the last one is PLATINUM PRESIDENT with a Medium Nib.  Can you please help and give some advice. I am looking for a daily writer. Also, these pen as similarly priced in my region. So price is not a deciding factor. 

Sponsored Content

#2 Namo

Namo

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,452 posts

Posted 24 November 2019 - 19:34

First, it's very difficult of anyone to recommend a pen to anyone. What one can do is share a subjective experience and give a few objective information about the pen and the work it's used for. 

Platinum nib are the most tactile of the three pens you mentioned, although I don't have a lot of experience with the President model. The Pilot will give you the most "glass smooth" experience (which I find both boring and difficult to control). 

The 823 is a vaccum filler, which means that you will have a more than  decent ink capacity. It might be annoying to clean, but if you aim at writing with the same ink it's  not a problem. The two other pens are c/c fillers, which means smaller ink capacity, but also the possibility to use (proprietary) cartridges, which is nice when traveling or writing outside your home a lot. Sailor convertors are famous for their very, very low ink capacity. The Japanese are using a bigger cartridge mouth, so you are unlikely to experiment surface tension problems with either filling system. 

The three brands will offer an excellent product. The Platinum will probably feel a little cheaper than the two others (and I am pretty sure you can find a President for half the price of a 823), but it will give you an awesome writing experience nonethless.

If value for money is of importance, then I would say the Pilot is your choice: the filling mechanism adds costs to produce where c/c filler is easier and cheaper in this regard. 

Finally, Platinum will give you less choices for changing the nib if you want to anyday. The 823 will give you the possibility to look for soft nibs or faclon nibs, and the Sailor will let a world of amazing pieces of art and technology. 

Hope this help, including the caveat starter.

Edited by Namo, 24 November 2019 - 19:37.

amonjak.com

cropped-amonjak-partie-4-de-4_page_4-modifiee1.jpg  

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

#3 The Good Captain

The Good Captain

Gaston F Limoges

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,744 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 November 2019 - 21:26

I've an 823 and it's real belter. My President is due any day now but with a B nib as I think it'll suit my current writing style - I've got a #3775 M which is a little fine. Likise the Sailor M nibs.

All down to personal taste and whatever else comes to mind. All three are great pens though so just enjoy!

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

#4 mongrelnomad

mongrelnomad

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,378 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 23:21

All three are great pens. I think the 823 may be something you leave for later though, as the filling system is not necessarily for newbies, and has a foible with air bubbles getting trapped beneath the feed and stopping ink reaching to the nib. A cartridge-converter is way less intimidating.

For that reason, as a newbie, Id go for the Sailor or the Platinum; personally Id go Sailor just because I prefer the nibs, but thats personal taste.

Your call. There is no wrong answer.
Too many pens; too little writing.

#5 sansenri

sansenri

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,029 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 November 2019 - 23:38

I have the 823, a very nice pen, but for some reason I prefer the Sailor, it's something in the shape that fits my hand well.

Be aware it's a smallish pen (short) so If you have big hands it may not be your pen.

fpn_1574811390__p1160436-3_sailor_pro_ge

Edited by sansenri, 26 November 2019 - 23:38.

#6 peroride

peroride

Write now, enjoy pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 November 2019 - 09:12

I'd go for SAILOR PROFESSIONAL GEAR with a Medium Nib - small converter/cartridge but easier maintenance

• My 823 is sitting in the box until I need a long writing session
  • My 3776 B is not a President but my Sailor nibs beat it and the fancier Nakaya 

Edited by peroride, 27 November 2019 - 09:12.

#7 mongrelnomad

mongrelnomad

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,378 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 10:38

My current EDC (Every Day Carry) pretty much says it all as to what I think about Sailor...

RWM72Cz.jpg

Too many pens; too little writing.

#8 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,781 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 November 2019 - 10:50

...PILOT CUSTOM 823 ... [/size]

This.

Just try the pen at the shop first to make sure the pen writes well, before making payment. Most Indian shops allow that for serious buyers.
In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

#9 RaviG

RaviG

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 November 2019 - 16:59

Don't buy any costly pen without trying it, you may regret it later.

The review here can help you but unless you write with the pen you may not know about the balance, grip and overall writing experience.

try it somewhere you can before making the decision.

#10 JunkyardSam

JunkyardSam

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 December 2019 - 15:05

I'll chip in with some opinions:

1. Rule out the Platinum President. That pen has some potential, but look at the cap band. It is long overdue for an update. The print on it is very '70s', and not in a good way, and also it has a sort of engraved look. Compare that to the current generation of 3776 Century, where the cap band has molded lettering. It is a night and day difference. But that's just a cosmetic issue.

The Platinum President has a functional issue which is annoying... You have to line up the cap a little carefully. One thing I like about MOST Japanese pens is capping is a mindless experience. That's not the case with the President. If you handed the pen to a random person they would likely misthread it during capping. You really need to counter-spin to find the click and then cap it. It has to do with the design of the pen and again, it's overdue for an update.

2. The Sailor is a good pick if you are more interested in a unique writing experience. The M nib feels good, and Sailor's nibs are a little more chiseled than rounded in shape -- so there's a subtle feedback that many people find delightful. That said, the Pro Gear is a little short as far as pens go, in my opinion. I personally prefer the 1911L as it has a little bit of extra length. 

Another issue with Sailor is the limited converter size and questionable converter quality. It doesn't take up a lot of ink, and also -- while Sailor pens feel amazing, Sailor converters always make me wonder, "Is this counterfeit?" I get converters in cheap Chinese pens which are higher quality, seriously.

So if you go with the Sailor, I recommend using a syringe to refill cartridges.

3. And finally, the Custom 823. What a pen!  It holds a ton of ink -- especially if you do the double-fill trick where you push the ink out and go for another dunk. (Be careful if you do that, it's a little awkward, but you can get a full body fill which is a TON of ink.)

The nib experience isn't particularly exciting. Pilot's M nib is very reliable but it's just a very smooth nib that is actually a little wider than Sailor or Platinum M nibs. Some people say it lacks character... It's just really smooth. Not so smooth as to have that gross writing on glass feel, but smooth enough that it just lacks interest compared to the Sailor.

The pen, though, feels really nice. It's slightly back heavy, though. The 743 actually has a better balance, although weighing less it feels a little less substantial in comparison... and it doesn't have the exciting vac filling system.

And finally -- my one problem with the 823 is that I actually don't like the blind cap. You have to unscrew it about 2mm for reliable ink flow as it has an ink shutoff mechanism. I don't find that mechanism particularly useful and I don't enjoy the gap in the pen so I actually used Goulet's guide to remove that feature from all three of my 823s. ( https://blog.gouletp...ler-pen-o-rings )  Beware that disassembly like that is risky and requires extreme caution.

I love my 823s and they are 'keep forever' pens... But so is my King of Pen M nib and Pro Gear Sailor-Wancher Purple Demonstrator. 

I would rule out the President and decide between those two. I would rank the 823 4.75 stars and the Pro Gear M 4.5 stars. =) I would rank the president 2.5 stars. (Out of 5.)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sailor, platinum, pilot, fountain pen

Sponsored Content

|