• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TSherbs

• Intensity

• inkstainedruth

• BaronWulfraed

That is cool! I hope they bring it out in interesting colors.

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Pelikan M1000 "F" nib running Birmingham Sugar Kelp

Sailor King of Pens "M" nib running Van Dieman's Heemskerch and Zeehaen

I guess that makes for a more silent use in a meeting setting or something like that? And/or a technology show off?

Edited by seattlefrenchman

I'm flying back to Japan :puddle:

<mutters repeatedly> "I don't need another pen!"

Just kidding, I really enjoy my Fermo and hope that the weight is not over that as the Luxury Silent looks beefier though its odd that the order form shows LX a la Lamy. :huh:

:unsure: The Luxury Purple is looking bloody reddish and the Luxury Blue is looking Blurple

:wacko: Con-40 urgh, but that portends the same nib standard as previous models, meaning they may be swappable. B)

@liubrian Thank you for sharing the exciting news!

Edit: I switched my monitor to cool blue and the colors render more true to label

Edited by peroride

That is cool! I hope they bring it out in interesting colors.

Erick

Some decade -- based on the advert the initial is stealth black, gloss black, blue, and burgundy

I guess that makes for a more silent use in a meeting setting or something like that? And/or a technology show off?

I'd think the twist to retract might "snap" more than current guiding the button does.

Can't say I'm enamored of the pocket clip -- now it's just staked to the body (plastic?) rather than the nose piece.

Interesting. Not sure about that high MSRP - seems quite high compared to the original. I'd rather get a raden VP for that price myself. I also prefer the more streamlined design of the original, without the metal insert ring of smaller diameter compared to the rest of the pen, with that odd diagonal ribbing. The silent/quiet extension mechanism is the only benefit of the new design for me personally.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

Don't care for the long slender knock.

Like the slender clip aesthetic.

$350? I'll pass.

Edited by Karmachanic

Add lightness and simplicate.

Is that an ink window?

Not an ink window, unfortunately. Just a metal (metal plated?) non-transparent design element.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

Looks kinda cool. But at that price (plus the fact that VPs are too large for my hand), makes it a "not for me" pen.

If they ever extend the tech to the Decimos, though? And made reasonable (not girly) colors available in the US? I'd definitely be interested.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Nothing wrong with "girly colors". It's the marketing of certain colors being for certain groups of people that's bad.

I haven't kept up -- but just what are the "girly colors" in the Decimo? I bought mine ten years ago and it is gold-flecked red lacquer.

There's no upside for me as I'm happy with the regular "knock" mechanism of push to extend, push to retract. I would be concerned about a downside of additional weight in the pen, particularly if it's at the back end.

Looks kinda cool. But at that price (plus the fact that VPs are too large for my hand), makes it a "not for me" pen.

If they ever extend the tech to the Decimos, though? And made reasonable (not girly) colors available in the US? I'd definitely be interested.

You're opposed to ordering from Japan?

Not in the least. I got my Decimo from a Japanese seller on eBay -- and that saved me the Pilot-USA markup on the price, and I had the pen delivered to my front door (I had to sign for it) 11 days after ordering it -- even with the Thanksgiving holiday in between (the seller had warned me that there might be a delay due to the time of year; there wasn't... and the thing flew through US Customs in NY in a matter of a few hours).

Hey, if Pilot's stupid marketing department doesn't offer certain colors (like the Light Grey) in the US, that's on them. Not everyone wants a girly color....

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

And why again would one need BOTH a click and twist mechanism in a pen?

"What? What's that? WHAT?!!! SPEAK UP, I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!" - Ludwig van Beethoven.

Definitely not what was available a decade ago (without/with cellphone flash -- tweaked in PhotoShop to reduce contrast)

fpn_1575044658__decimo_nf.jpg

fpn_1575044838__decimo_f.jpg

I had thought it was gold-flecked, but closer examination shows one of those odd metallic flakes that reflect different parts of the spectrum based on incident angle.

Not in the least. I got my Decimo from a Japanese seller on eBay -- and that saved me the Pilot-USA markup on the price, and I had the pen delivered to my front door (I had to sign for it) 11 days after ordering it -- even with the Thanksgiving holiday in between (the seller had warned me that there might be a delay due to the time of year; there wasn't... and the thing flew through US Customs in NY in a matter of a few hours).

Hey, if Pilot's stupid marketing department doesn't offer certain colors (like the Light Grey) in the US, that's on them. Not everyone wants a girly color....

Right, so I just didn't get why you emphasized the "available in the US" part. Buying in the US is overpaying for these Japanese pens, IMO.

Definitely not what was available a decade ago (without/with cellphone flash -- tweaked in PhotoShop to reduce contrast)

I had thought it was gold-flecked, but closer examination shows one of those odd metallic flakes that reflect different parts of the spectrum based on incident angle.

Pilot initially test-marketed the Decimo with two colors, the sparkly red one that you have, and a sparkly blue.

They also tested a limited edition of the "Sesenta", which is the same pen model as the Decimo, but with a marbled color pattern in red, green, or brown, similar to the marbled capless pen.

After the test market, they released the Decimo in the nine colors that are currently available today.

Scientia potentia est.