The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Ebay Uk Pricing

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 northlodge

northlodge

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,352 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 November 2019 - 20:34

I have noted an increasing? trend for UK based pen sellers to list items for sale in US$ - such as this example:

Item  333267035944

Being sold by someone who sells lots of pens this way and is living in Bedford, England; both the item and the postage being quoted in dollars.

(Ignoring the over-inflated prices which occur in any currency)   Is there really an obvious benefit in this  $ approach that I am overlooking??

The seller of this highlighted pen has numerous items that are certainly worth a look..... as this "excellent, restored, no faults noted" Parker Duofold appears to be equipped with what looks like a Summit s.75 clip, there is a green CS15 with a CS58 clip ingeniously fitted, a "typhoo" with a "excellent clip" that looks to be truncated, and an interesting Esterbrook Icicle! ....  

However there are also some very good UK based pens to be found sold in $, I recall seeing (an oxford based?) seller who regularly lists very nice Wahl pens this way (and at finishing times clearly aimed at the US buyer).

enlighten me please!  

Edited by northlodge, 22 November 2019 - 20:36.

Sponsored Content

#2 praxim

praxim

still on twig

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,729 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 November 2019 - 21:04

A few things which might be influencing it:

• US$ is the most traded currency (followed by the Euro) so if you are looking for overseas buyers as well as local then you are, in effect, speaking the lingua franca of finance.
  • In which direction do you believe your currency is travelling in relation to the US$, now and in the near future? It can be a way of preserving value during the time to sell.
  • If items tend to be priced higher in the US market than in the British market (after currency conversion), then go with what people read in the US market and make more.
  • Payment via Paypal in US$ creates a short term store of currency for direct US purchases, avoiding a conversion (and see the second point above). Short term, because there is no other investment return.

I sometimes put into an ad (when I manage to ginger myself up for the rare sale) that local buyers should contact me for a home currency price. It will be a little lower, because we avoid two instances of currency conversion costs.

"...all observation must be for or against some view if it is to be of any service." Charles Darwin

#3 mikey_abz

mikey_abz

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 November 2019 - 22:10

I have noted an increasing? trend for UK based pen sellers to list items for sale in US$ - such as this example:

Item  333267035944

Being sold by someone who sells lots of pens this way and is living in Bedford, England; both the item and the postage being quoted in dollars.

(Ignoring the over-inflated prices which occur in any currency)   Is there really an obvious benefit in this  $ approach that I am overlooking??

The seller of this highlighted pen has numerous items that are certainly worth a look..... as this "excellent, restored, no faults noted" Parker Duofold appears to be equipped with what looks like a Summit s.75 clip, there is a green CS15 with a CS58 clip ingeniously fitted, a "typhoo" with a "excellent clip" that looks to be truncated, and an interesting Esterbrook Icicle! ....  

However there are also some very good UK based pens to be found sold in $, I recall seeing (an oxford based?) seller who regularly lists very nice Wahl pens this way (and at finishing times clearly aimed at the US buyer).

enlighten me please!  

my ebay shows in £'s for this item.

Mike :)

#4 northlodge

northlodge

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,352 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 November 2019 - 22:29

Interesting observations on how to play the currency market - perhaps explains why I am poor ;-)

However I do not seem to be able to list an item in $ on the ebay.uk site, they offer no alternative to a £ listing.

Mike, I can also see these prices in £, but it makes it clear to me that these are converted from the original $ price.

#5 Uncial

Uncial

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,036 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 November 2019 - 23:48

The US market pays more (especially for Parker) and I would imagine that if its listed in dollars it might come up in ebay.com searches more easily and may help some forget about import duty.

#6 praxim

praxim

still on twig

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• 4,729 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 November 2019 - 02:07

For me it comes up in USD. From comments above, it looks like that is to do with being overseas or not. In fact, the search result before I go to the listing has it only in ebay's idea of a conversion to AUD.

"...all observation must be for or against some view if it is to be of any service." Charles Darwin

#7 Inkysloth

Inkysloth

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,079 posts

Posted 23 November 2019 - 18:30

Northlodge, was the items postage treating you as being in the UK?

Ive seen a (non pen) item that was in the UK, but the price was in $, and if I tried to add it to my basket it also added international shipping... but Im also in the UK. It seemed like a glitch rather than a deliberate choice.

Instagram @inkysloth 
My website http://inkysloth.moonfruit.com/

#8 northlodge

northlodge

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,352 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 November 2019 - 22:43

Northlodge, was the items postage treating you as being in the UK?

the items i refer to all show international postage rates, although as I would not buy from this particular seller I do not know if it defaults back to UK postage charges after purchase.

There is another example I have just come across (item: 264543689994)

Here the seller is not a "pen enthusiast" and only has a 67 feedback score so not even a regular seller- which might suggest he has not conciously taking a decision as to the currency being used.

#9 ImThatGuy

ImThatGuy

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 November 2019 - 17:34

Odd. Comes up in USD here

FWIW I’ve bought from this seller and they were fine (vintage Onoto)

#10 dapprman

dapprman

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 857 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 November 2019 - 21:33

I see it as a USD item as well.  It may be a case he's listing on ebay.com - with worldwide shipping any search on other ebay sites would pick it up unless you block international sellers.

#11 peterg

peterg

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,076 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 15:09

When looking up both sellers E-bay describe them as 'International Sellers'.

Her name suggests that she is East European and the postage rates, that she is not actually based in the UK. I thought that trick was limited to the Chinese! Her prices suggest that her market is gullible foreigners.

Greenford man's prices seem quite reasonable except for the Pitmans Fono!

Sponsored Content

|