Change To Piston Seal Montblanc 146?

CS388

Hello all

Found an elastomer seal in my 146 bits box. It fits the barrel of my 146g perfectly, snug and airtight. Slides the length smoothly.

I have some other old Meisterstucks which are using elastomer seals, and they've been working, trouble free for years. So, I'd like to try this one out. Problem is: it's completely different fitting system - the original has the cork seal and the threaded collar nut, the elastomer is (?) a clip, fit ... perhaps?

I don't want to do anything irreversible (glues etc) to the pen, but I have a few half-notions of a possible method.

These are everyday working pens, not collectible stars!

Any suggestions, or known fixes, welcomed.

If I can't get it working, I'll cut a new cork.

Thanks.

Some phone snaps. No artistic merit implied, but may help to clarify.

fpn_1574357273__146g_-_1.jpg

fpn_1574357474__146g_-_1_1.jpg

fpn_1574373931__146g_-_1_2.jpg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CS388

• Erik Dalton

• siamackz

• eckiethump

Shellac should be way enough to reverse no? And it wont be in contact with the ink, and wont be subjected to that much torque/stress even so it might be an easy fix?

My Vintage Montblanc Website--> link

Thanks, Sia. Good thinking.

However, I'm not sure if the shellac would grip enough on the return stroke - over repeated fillings? The seal has good suction, so I'd worry that it could become detached, as the shaft returned to the top.

When I said that I didn't want to do anything irreversible, I was referring to the pen. The seal can be modified. I'm thinking of drilling and cutting it, so that it is around the same dimensions as the cork seal, then I can use the threaded collar nut, to hold it in place.

Am away from home, at the moment, so these are just ideas I can try on my return.

Thanks, again. Hope you're well.

Thanks, Sia. Good thinking.

However, I'm not sure if the shellac would grip enough on the return stroke - over repeated fillings? The seal has good suction, so I'd worry that it could become detached, as the shaft returned to the top.

When I said that I didn't want to do anything irreversible, I was referring to the pen. The seal can be modified. I'm thinking of drilling and cutting it, so that it is around the same dimensions as the cork seal, then I can use the threaded collar nut, to hold it in place.

Am away from home, at the moment, so these are just ideas I can try on my return.

Thanks, again. Hope you're well.

Thats's what I would do, if you really don't want to use a cork again. A lot of the time I use "O" Rings for piston pens, but very rarely on Vintage MB pens, their 50's celluloid is not the most stable.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge (Charles Darwin)

http://www.wesonline.org.uk/

Maybe drill a tiny hole in the brass shaft above the threads, same on piston head. Pin it together. It’s removable and allows for a return to the cork seal if you want.

Thats's what I would do, if you really don't want to use a cork again. A lot of the time I use "O" Rings for piston pens, but very rarely on Vintage MB pens, their 50's celluloid is not the most stable.

Thanks, Eric. Appreciate the insight.

I hadn't taken the fragility of the barrel into account. Worth bearing in mind. If this one gets broken, I can't afford to replace it, at today's prices - and it's a much used/much loved pen!

That said, it is a good solid example - and I do have other celluloid Meisterstucks which are running the plastic/elastomer seals. So I may be brave and give it a go. Only have myself to blame, if it goes pear shaped.

Thanks again.

Maybe drill a tiny hole in the brass shaft above the threads, same on piston head. Pin it together. It’s removable and allows for a return to the cork seal if you want.

Thanks, Old Salt.

It's a nice idea and sounds like it's a workable fix.

As I said, I'll not be doing anything immediately, but I'll put your idea on the list, for when I eventually get round to the job.

Thanks again. Much appreciated.

Looks to me your cup seal is a" long" version only suited for the modern Monblanc pens.

The modern seal snaps on the piston rods is too lang.and is not applicable on your vintage 146

You need a vintage piston cup seal or a new cork installed ..;

Francis

Looks to me your cup seal is a" long" version only suited for the modern Monblanc pens.

The modern seal snaps on the piston rods is too lang.and is not applicable on your vintage 146

You need a vintage piston cup seal or a new cork installed ..;

Francis

Ah. Thanks, Francis. Your advice is always welcome - and much appreciated.

I think I'll go with a new cork, then.

I think I was avoiding it, as I cut them by hand and it takes me an age of trial and error to get it exact!

But, worth it for a faithful old pen.

And thank you to all for suggestions and advice.

I may try some of them on the seal in some other vintage frankenpen experiment!

Best wishes. CS