The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Draw Filler

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Bluto Carpaccio

Bluto Carpaccio

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 19:49

Hi,

Anyone know if and where I could get a draw filler like on the Edison or Wing Sung pens?

Thanks, Bluto

Too many pens, not enough fingers

Sponsored Content

#2 OCArt

OCArt

OBB

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,583 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 November 2019 - 20:44

Not sure what you're asking but the PenBBS 456 is also a vacuum filler.  I'm a huge fan of the WS699, have you tried it. Oh, of course there is also the Pilot 823 that the WS699, cough, emulated.  

#3 Bluto Carpaccio

Bluto Carpaccio

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 21:57

Sorry, I wasnt clear. Looking to modify an existing pen and wondering how to get my hands on a vacuum or draw filler unit. At last resort maybe I can scavange one from another pen?

#4 Bluto Carpaccio

Bluto Carpaccio

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 22:06

The Pilot Custom 823 is a great pen though too small for my hand. I have a WS699 on the way but that type of vacuum filler - as opposed to a Parker Vacumatic type - wouldnt be suitable. I just dont much like CCs. My do everything pen is a 2012 Bexley Owners Clud with a piston filler. Sweet.

#5 Bibliophage

Bibliophage

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 22:24

So you want a cartridge converter, that fits over an existing nipple, or you want to slice and dice the barrel and insert a full piston or vacuum assembly?  

I have a Wing Sung pen right here that uses a big bore chinese converter - and I have converters for that.  I also have the WS 3008 which uses the entire body as a piston converter (twist).   Then there's the WS 699 and 699a that have button triggered vacuum fillers. 

#6 Bluto Carpaccio

Bluto Carpaccio

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 22 November 2019 - 02:43

I guess slice and dice.   I'm thinking of something self-contained like a P51 vacumatic filler or one of the Edison draw fillers.  I don't think I could install a negative vacuum system like an 823.  How much volume in your big bore chinese converter?

Thanks, Bluto

#7 Bibliophage

Bibliophage

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 22 November 2019 - 21:37

I guess slice and dice.   I'm thinking of something self-contained like a P51 vacumatic filler or one of the Edison draw fillers.  I don't think I could install a negative vacuum system like an 823.  How much volume in your big bore chinese converter?

Thanks, Bluto

Realistically, the 'big bore' (Yiren, Wing Sung, etc) converters aren't any different, capacity wise than the standard international or even Jinhao (mostly part way between international and the big bore size).   

The problem with the Vacumatic and Edison draw fillers, as well as the various aerometric fillers, is that you need the breather tube.   I'm not sure how you could retrofit that into a pen.  

The closest I could think of doing something like that is pretty silly.   Whack off the end of the pen, and find a syringe in which the seal portion is the same size at the barrel.   Once you know it fits, cut off the plunger, leaving just a small section.   Drill a hole (or two holes) in the plunger shaft, and tie a string on to it.  

To push it down, you'd need a straight rod of some sort (the rest of the plunger shaft), but you could suck ink up by pulling the string.  Once you've pulled enough, just coil the string into the remainder of the barrel. 

I told you it's silly :)

#8 Bluto Carpaccio

Bluto Carpaccio

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 23 November 2019 - 16:38

Thanks, Biblio.  Sounds like fun...

Sponsored Content

|