The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

1910S Sheaffer - Nib Repair Or Replace?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Ray-Vigo

Ray-Vigo

Parts Bin Digger

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,725 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 November 2019 - 14:20

I bought a pen recently that I think is a fairly early Sheaffer - it's a slender pen with an imprint that has an "S" with a picture of pen going through the S. It has threads on the barrel, but the threads are of a wider diameter and stick out. It seems like a 1910s era pen. Color is OK, nothing great. I had to replace the rotted spring bar.

The nib has one tine that broke off right below the tipping and a small breather hold crack. It's a #2 self-filling nib.

Is this the sort of pen where it would actually be worth having the nib repaired? It came out of a second hand junk sale for like $30. Or is it more effective to look for another #2 nib for the pen?

Sponsored Content

#2 Ron Z

Ron Z

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,867 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 14:42

#2 self fillers are available, but maybe not with that stamping.  I would expect repairing a tine, in addition to retipping to be expensive.  Greg can do it, as could John.  I don't know of anybody else who could.

banner200.jpg
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

#3 Roger W.

Roger W.

Irish Wolfhound

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 20:33

I think this imprint is circa 1915.  It is one of my favorites.

Roger W.

#4 Herobrinefly

Herobrinefly

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 November 2019 - 03:06

It depends on what kind of your nib is. If it has a teardrop shape vent hole which is quite early and not so easy to find, I think repairing is a better idea.

#5 Roger W.

Roger W.

Irish Wolfhound

• Member - Gold

• 3,396 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 04:16

It depends on what kind of your nib is. If it has a teardrop shape vent hole which is quite early and not so easy to find, I think repairing is a better idea.

I'd be surprised if the nib had a tear drop vent hole as it should be just past that time period.  By 1915 the Progressive Pen Company was making at least some if not all of Sheaffers nibs and they had a heart shaped punch.  The two owners of the company were persuaded to sell to Sheaffer with one remaining for many years in Ft. Madison, Winfield Kay, which I write about in the issue of the Pennant currently coming out.

Roger W. 

#6 Ray-Vigo

Ray-Vigo

Parts Bin Digger

• Member - Gold

• 2,725 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 November 2019 - 13:44

1915 would be one of the oldest pens I have. Most of the stuff I have is after WWI. I repaired the pressure bar, disassembled and cleaned the pen about 3 months ago. But I hit a stopping point with the nib issue and put it aside in a box. At this point, it's the only pen I have in the box that I have not gotten to repair fully, so I thought it time to re-visit.

I appreciate the information. I had guessed a nib repair might run $50 originally. Do you think it would be even more than that? I wish I had a spare early #2 self-filling nib in my parts box, but I don't have anything that old.

Edited by Ray-Vigo, 21 November 2019 - 13:45.

#7 Ron Z

Ron Z

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,867 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 19:31

I had guessed a nib repair might run $50 originally. Do you think it would be even more than that?

Greg charges $70 plus return shipping to retip.  If part of the tine has broken off, its likely that he would have to rebuild that part of the nib, so significantly more.  He has a laser welder, so can do quite a bit for a nib.

banner200.jpg
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

#8 Ray-Vigo

Ray-Vigo

Parts Bin Digger

• Member - Gold

• 2,725 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 November 2019 - 20:57

So this sounds pretty expensive then. I guess you could call it a broken tine. It broke off right below where the tipping began from the look of it. The other tine is intact. There's a tiny crack at the breather hole as well. I'm leaning toward locating a decent substitute #2 Sheaffer from roughly the same era, re-saccing, and then calling it 'good'. This project got sidelined when I located a rather nice #34 smooth black hard rubber Sheaffer. The 34 was a larger pen with a nicer nib and that took up my time restoring.

Edited by Ray-Vigo, 21 November 2019 - 20:59.

#9 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

Brain freeze, mmm... got pens?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,208 posts

Posted 01 December 2019 - 02:17

Can you post a picture of the broken nib?  Might be easier to source a replacement knowing what to look for.  Replacement nib will almost certainly be less than a tine rebuild and retip.

San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 23-24-25, 2019 AND August 28-29-30, 2020. Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

#10 Ray-Vigo

Ray-Vigo

Parts Bin Digger

• Member - Gold

• 2,725 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 December 2019 - 19:05

Attached a picture.

Attached Images

• 20191207_100438.jpg

Edited by Ray-Vigo, 07 December 2019 - 19:06.

#11 FredRydr

FredRydr

Have Pen. Will Travel.

• Member - Gold

• 4,499 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 December 2019 - 02:19

The broken tine hardly shows.  Send better photos of the damaged area to Greg and get his quote.

#12 NathanielHarter

NathanielHarter

Sheaffer Pen Museum Volunteer

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 December 2019 - 01:33

I think this imprint is circa 1915.  It is one of my favorites.

Roger W.

I thought that this was the imprint that came after the "squared S with an arrow through it" imprint. Did they have that imprint until 1914, or am I missing an imprint somewhere?

Thank you

Nathaniel Harter
Sheaffer Pen Museum Volunteer
spmlogofpn.png

Sponsored Content

|