Montblanc Carrera Help

Rafiki76

Hello, I recently purchased a Montblanc Carrera fine nib from Ebay and while I am waiting for it to arrive, was wondering if anyone had any tips or advice on it. I heard from several sources it takes Montblanc cartridges, and some sources said it takes International shorts. Do they both work? And is there a manual or video on cleaning the pen? I have found very limited information on it.

And if any current owners have any advice for using the pen I am all ears. I have fallen deeply into fp's for about a month now so I still have a lot to learn.

[i will post pictures when the pen comes]

Thank you

U.C. Berkeley Economics | Public Policy

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rafiki76

• austollie

• Doug C

• Jerome Tarshis

I have a Carrera but it is a piston fill. I don't know if they made CC versions (and mine is leaking from the ink window).

the Danitrio Fellowship

I have a Carrera but it is a piston fill. I don't know if they made CC versions (and mine is leaking from the ink window).

The Ebay Listing states it takes Montblanc and Pelikan cartridges, but I guess I gotta get the pen fist and see.

In principle Montblanc c/c pens take standard international cartridges. MB carts are not proprietary in the way that such brands as Parker, Aurora, Cross, Platinum, Pilot, and some others are.

I have owned two Montblanc c/c pens, a Noblesse and a SlimLine, and have never used Montblanc cartridges in them. They've done fine with a Pelikan converter and a Waterman converter, too. (The push-fit MB converter they take is no longer easy to find at ordinary prices.)

The reason I say "in principle" is that the word "standard" in "standard international" is more wishful thinking than fact. Quite a few "standard" carts will turn out to fit and work well; others won't. Like so many other pursuits, this is a journey of exploration.

In principle Montblanc c/c pens take standard international cartridges. MB carts are not proprietary in the way that such brands as Parker, Aurora, Cross, Platinum, Pilot, and some others are.

I have owned two Montblanc c/c pens, a Noblesse and a SlimLine, and have never used Montblanc cartridges in them. They've done fine with a Pelikan converter and a Waterman converter, too. (The push-fit MB converter they take is no longer easy to find at ordinary prices.)

The reason I say "in principle" is that the word "standard" in "standard international" is more wishful thinking than fact. Quite a few "standard" carts will turn out to fit and work well; others won't. Like so many other pursuits, this is a journey of exploration.

Thank you, I'll stop by my local Montblanc store and see if I could use those first.

My MB. Carrera is c/c . Pelikan and other brands of international standard cartridges will work in your pen. ;)

Thank you, I'll try Pelikan and some internationals as well.

• 2 weeks later...

The Montblanc cartridges do fit in any standard pen, but they are (or were) a bit thinner at the fitting.

So it is possible that older and high-value c/c pens from Montblanc will not work well with standard cartridges.

But I did have a Montblanc Carrera ( I still do have it, but I mislaid it) and I never used any other carts than Pelikan,

which meanwhile has become the standard.

Good luck with you Carrera!

• 2 weeks later...

The Montblanc cartridges do fit in any standard pen, but they are (or were) a bit thinner at the fitting.

So it is possible that older and high-value c/c pens from Montblanc will not work well with standard cartridges.

But I did have a Montblanc Carrera ( I still do have it, but I mislaid it) and I never used any other carts than Pelikan,

which meanwhile has become the standard.

Good luck with you Carrera!

Thank you I have some international cartridges I can't wait to try so I'll order some.

Why is mine a piston fill? Did they make both?

Probably did the same thing they did for the 22x series in the 70s, like how I have a Montblanc 225 that's a piston filler, but I also had a Montblanc 221 that was a c/c. There were 220 that came in both c/c and piston as well. And since the Carrera was a budget model, it wouldn't surprise me they made both for that as well.

If yours has a gold nib, it's possible it was intended for export to other countries such as Japan (having gold nib + piston filler).

A while back (about 40 years), I had a steel nib yellow/black Carrera that was a piston filler. I still have a 220 that is also a piston filler.

Probably did the same thing they did for the 22x series in the 70s, like how I have a Montblanc 225 that's a piston filler, but I also had a Montblanc 221 that was a c/c. There were 220 that came in both c/c and piston as well. And since the Carrera was a budget model, it wouldn't surprise me they made both for that as well.

If yours has a gold nib, it's possible it was intended for export to other countries such as Japan (having gold nib + piston filler).

Thanks for the information.

I just developed a leak at the ink window so it doesn't matter how it fills now. It is out of commission.

the Danitrio Fellowship

There are different models of Montblanc carrera.

Carrera 522 is a piston filler.

Piston knob is usually yellow but some have black knob.

Whether they are "frankenpen" or "original" I don't know.

Carrera 522P is a cartridge/converter filler often supplied with a converter.

Carrera 522PG is a cartridge/converter filler with 14C gold nib.

I don't know whether 522G (piston filler with gold nib) were produced or not.

And, Carrera 5225 is a cartridge/converter filler with silver color metal barrel.

Unfortunately, 5225 do not have white star on its barrel end.

Perhaps, other FPN member will provide further information.

I'm a Pelikan lover, as you can see.

But I like Carrera so much too.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi TorPelikan,

I am impressed with your knowledge regarding Montblanc Carrera models. Like you, my primary interest is Pelikan pens, but I also collect Montblanc Carrera (and a couple of other types). My piston filler Carrera has a black knob and is not a "frankenpen". I'm still looking for one with a yellow knob for my collection. As I understand it, the piston fillers were made for export only. That would make sense, because when I was a kid in Germany, virtually all school children and students (and the Carrera line was marketed at students) used standard international cartridges. All school children were required to write with a fountain pen.

Hi Rafiki76,

As far as cartridges are concerned, the Montblanc Carrera will happily take any international cartridge (or even a proprietary GeHa cartridge). Both the short (which is all there was in the 1970s when the Carrera was made) and the long cartridge will work fine in your pen.

I absolutely love Montblanc Carreras, because their design and the colour (of the yellow/ orange version) just screams "1970s". As much as I like Pelikan student pens (i.e. Pelikano), there is no denying that the Montblanc Carrera line is a notch up in terms of quality. I have more than a dozen Montblanc Carrera pens and I absolutely love them.

Cheers, Ollie

Thank you all for sharing your incredible knowledge of this pen. I just received it today and it looks so cool. I am a huge Porsche fan so this pan stuck out to me along with the idea of Montblanc making a school pen, 3 years left of undergrad to use this pen.

post-134009-0-15944500-1576901340_thumb.jpg

post-134009-0-03658100-1576901350_thumb.jpg

post-134009-0-60434400-1576901366_thumb.jpg

post-134009-0-19092900-1576901383_thumb.jpg

Congratulations on your new purchase. I see that the chrome at the top of the cap is still nice and shiny. That tells me that the pen has not seen a lot of use, because the chrome wears off over time.

I hope you enjoy using it. I certainly love writing with my Carrera pens.

Congratulations on your new purchase. I see that the chrome at the top of the cap is still nice and shiny. That tells me that the pen has not seen a lot of use, because the chrome wears off over time.

I hope you enjoy using it. I certainly love writing with my Carrera pens.

Thank you, it is in very nice shape, some small scratches on the black barrel but very minor. Do your Carrera's write dry though? I have mine inked with Diamine Blue Black cartridge and it skips a little and is a little dry. Is this normal?

Hi Rafiki76,

I wouldn't say that my Montblanc Carrera pens are particularly dry writers and none of them skip. Given that your pen is 40 years old, it may be worth giving it a good soaking (the feed may be partially blocked) in water and a little detergent. If that doesn't work, I'd gently floss the tines (there are plenty of articles in this forum from people more adept than me). That should take care of any issues that you may have.

Good luck with your pen.

Ollie

Hi Rafiki76,

I wouldn't say that my Montblanc Carrera pens are particularly dry writers and none of them skip. Given that your pen is 40 years old, it may be worth giving it a good soaking (the feed may be partially blocked) in water and a little detergent. If that doesn't work, I'd gently floss the tines (there are plenty of articles in this forum from people more adept than me). That should take care of any issues that you may have.

Good luck with your pen.

Ollie

Thank you I will give that a shot soon