New Penbbs Model?

drathbun

Since I've handled the pen for a day now I think I can give an initial impressions regarding the pen (haven't inked it yet) :

- The matte rose gold center band and clip looks so elegant. I am very pleased that they didn't go for the glossy finish like the nib for the clip and center band.

- The magnet is strong, but you still need to push the cap magnet into the barrel a bit to move the piston magnet.

- Which means that there is a large risk of scratching the surface of the barrel if you push the cap too hard against the barrel

- The nib is less decorated than the standard PenBBS nibs and it has a mouse etching on it. The nib unit is interchangeable with other PenBBS nib units.

- The piston magnet as expected is coupled with some kind of a guider component to keep the orientation of the magnet in check. However my piston magnet seems to tilt a little bit and I worry that ink might leak through the piston magnet and pass to the back of the pen.

All in all, PenBBS is releasing this pen to commemorate the Chinese New Year. The ballsy move though in my opinion is that they are using this special occasion as an experiment testing with the magnetic fillers. You can tell this is 1st gen stuff since the mechanism is not seamless and have many potential issues.

I am enjoying the ride following PenBBS though. There is no other fountain pen manufacturer right now in the world that is releasing pen after pen with new mechanism to keep their followers on their toes in excitement.

That's wonderful! I ordered one within hours of them being released and was told they wouldn't even ship until the end of February.

I think you will be pleased with the rose gold trim that the pen has once you are able to review them. Will be waiting for your video on this pen especially regarding the filling mechanism.

I'm calling it after a week of heavy use. it won't come unscrewed unexpectedly.

I still really think all it needed was knurling on the knob end similar to the finial of the wing sung 698. it's really not a satisfying mechanism to unscrew, even though it does work 100% as advertised.

Same case with mine, I feel that it won't unexpectedly unscrew by itself.

Edited by penzel_washinkton

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• penzel_washinkton

• drathbun

• Honeybadgers

• Mech-for-i

Sorry for the lighting and also this is unedited:

fpn_1580309618__492_resize_1b.jpg

fpn_1580309636__492_resize_2b.jpg

Did you get it with the commemorative year of the mouse ink bottle?

This one:

O1CN0140fZDS1rex7tOq2Ec_!!64235657.jpg

Edited by Theroc

so.... there's a magnet in the cap which is used to move the slider in the barrel for filling?

Very interesting and quirky!

I really like the mouse graphic! much squee :D

David-

So many restoration projects...

so.... there's a magnet in the cap which is used to move the slider in the barrel for filling?

Yes, exactly

7phqTe8.jpg?1

Edited by drathbun

"There are thousands of thoughts lying within a man that he does not know 'till he takes up the pen and writes."

- William Thackeray

My YouTube review:

"There are thousands of thoughts lying within a man that he does not know 'till he takes up the pen and writes."

- William Thackeray

I think the additional chrome accents of the 500 look great with Galaxy over my 308...

I agree. I've just ordered another Penbbs 308 in the "Infinite" transparent blue but with gold hardware and nib. I think it is a very classy look and I love the combination on my WingSung 699.

il_794xN.1900267857_l84v.jpg

- William Thackeray

Just saw on Beini's IG account that shipping might be pushed back to March due to the Corona virus issues. Hopefully everything clears out there with more than 250 deaths already confirmed.

I browsed their official store site on Taobao. The new model (492) is a limited edition (500 total). You get a pen and a mouse cap ink bottle if you purchase. People who purchase before Fed 10 can choose the number they prefer( if that number is still available).

I browsed their official store site on Taobao. The new model (492) is a limited edition (500 total). You get a pen and a mouse cap ink bottle if you purchase. People who purchase before Fed 10 can choose the number they prefer( if that number is still available).

I got one the moment they came out with it. I received a note that it will be well into February (now March because of the Corona virus) before they ship.

- William Thackeray

Having used this penBBS 500 model for a couple of weeks ((Autumn colorway, RM nib), I would say that the filling mechanism is quite simple to use, once you follow along with the instructions first couple of times to familiarize yourself with the mechanics. the knob to look the piston is a bit too flush for my liking, and doesn't have much grip to work with, and the cap doesn't post though the bottom of the barrel suggests it would, otherwise I cannot really fault this pen. Another small irritant is that the Autumn colorway does not really allow me to see whether I got a good fill, but thats to do with the choice of acrylic and not the design - I didn't want a translucent/ transparent acrylic in this one, cos I don't really fancy the spring showing through, so it was a necessary compromise....

fpn_1581118478__penbbs_500_autumn.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, the box is huge and heavy. Shipping was $$$!

Yeah I was really fortunate that I got mine closer to $50 with shipping.

Either way it is a limited edition pen with a unique filling mechanism and even at that $100 price I would pry it off someones hands.

• 2 months later...

Seems the 491 was overshadowed by a fancy filler. But the 491 seems to be a bulkier pen and less step-down than Moonman C1 with a more interesting nib.

DR I saw your online review. Who else has one that could comment? The ugly mojito colour is cheapest version left. I might hazard a try.

Seems the 491 was overshadowed by a fancy filler. But the 491 seems to be a bulkier pen and less step-down than Moonman C1 with a more interesting nib.

DR I saw your online review. Who else has one that could comment? The ugly mojito colour is cheapest version left. I might hazard a try.

I'm a fan. Wrote about it here.

I'm a fan. Wrote about it here.

Thank you, I actually read your very good review.

I dusted off a 352 to try the upturned nib with my current favourite ink I thought might resolve some previous problems I had had with this nib, but no, the skipping on rapid cross strokes continued. It's a shame. I will continue with the delike minifude nib for now.