Since I've handled the pen for a day now I think I can give an initial impressions regarding the pen (haven't inked it yet) :
- The matte rose gold center band and clip looks so elegant. I am very pleased that they didn't go for the glossy finish like the nib for the clip and center band.
- The magnet is strong, but you still need to push the cap magnet into the barrel a bit to move the piston magnet.
- Which means that there is a large risk of scratching the surface of the barrel if you push the cap too hard against the barrel
- The nib is less decorated than the standard PenBBS nibs and it has a mouse etching on it. The nib unit is interchangeable with other PenBBS nib units.
- The piston magnet as expected is coupled with some kind of a guider component to keep the orientation of the magnet in check. However my piston magnet seems to tilt a little bit and I worry that ink might leak through the piston magnet and pass to the back of the pen.
All in all, PenBBS is releasing this pen to commemorate the Chinese New Year. The ballsy move though in my opinion is that they are using this special occasion as an experiment testing with the magnetic fillers. You can tell this is 1st gen stuff since the mechanism is not seamless and have many potential issues.
I am enjoying the ride following PenBBS though. There is no other fountain pen manufacturer right now in the world that is releasing pen after pen with new mechanism to keep their followers on their toes in excitement.
That's wonderful! I ordered one within hours of them being released and was told they wouldn't even ship until the end of February.
I think you will be pleased with the rose gold trim that the pen has once you are able to review them. Will be waiting for your video on this pen especially regarding the filling mechanism.
I'm calling it after a week of heavy use. it won't come unscrewed unexpectedly.
I still really think all it needed was knurling on the knob end similar to the finial of the wing sung 698. it's really not a satisfying mechanism to unscrew, even though it does work 100% as advertised.
Same case with mine, I feel that it won't unexpectedly unscrew by itself.
Edited by penzel_washinkton, 29 January 2020 - 11:45.