New Penbbs Model?

drathbun

Are there some interesting penbbs model for less than 15 euro, apart 494 ?

Some patterns for the PenBBS 308, 323, 491 and 471 I believe are all below 15 Euros from Beini's Etsy store.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• penzel_washinkton

• drathbun

• Honeybadgers

• Mech-for-i

Are there some interesting penbbs model for less than 15 euro, apart 494 ?

You've asked that question repeatedly. Google "etsy penbbs" and convert all the prices from USD to euro. Then look at those models on ebay.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

You've asked that question repeatedly. Google "etsy penbbs" and convert all the prices from USD to euro. Then look at those models on ebay.

Looks like still undecided whether to pull the trigger or not.

Anyway PenBBS announced (again) new models. The 468 which is a torpedo shaped pen with a cat roll stop and a 492 which is claimed to be magnetic filler?

The 492 is also the first PenBBS with a rose gold trim CMIIW. There are also new colors coming out for the 500.

I wish I held off the previous purchase for these new batches to be honest .

I really did not expect them to announce new colors to the 500 so quickly.

Edited by penzel_washinkton

According to the text the 468 will in latter batch be also provided with an option to had just a normal clip

According to the text the 468 will in latter batch be also provided with an option to had just a normal clip

Is that so? Then I will hold off buying the 468 and focus on trying to get the 492 since I think it will be very limited.

Long just posted the mechanism for the magnet filler where the top part of the cap contains another magnet that functions as a tool to move for the magnet piston.

I have my concern regarding this magnet filler. Sure, out of all the filler mechanism, this can extract the most out of the barrel of a pen as a reservoir (after an eyedropper) but if there is another magnet that attracts the magnet piston... accidents might happen..

So, has anyone received their 500 yet?

I just got my 491 yesterday. I ordered it December 15. I ordered my 500 within five minutes of it going up on Etsy. I expect I'll see it in February.

"There are thousands of thoughts lying within a man that he does not know 'till he takes up the pen and writes."

- William Thackeray

I got mine yesterday

This one has a good nib. You all know what a PenBBS upturned is like.

Machining on the threads is nice and crisp. Threads are quite small, lots of multistart points, 1.5 turns on/off.

The section is very long on this one, there's the grip - a tiny, smooth 0.5mm step up, a chrome "made in china - SHANGHAI" band below that, the threads, and another smooth section beyond that - nearly 1.5cm of extra section behind the grip itself. I honestly really love that. I can hold it all over.

Clip is the standard one they use on their higher end models

cap threads are acrylic on acrylic, so nice and smooth

The piston knob works surprisingly great. I can't really explain why, but it doesn't seem to want to come unscrewed - though I'll put it in my pocket on days off and see what happens

The knob is unscrewed using the pad of your finger and it just snicks right in/out very easily. it's honestly a little uncanny how easy it is, but that it still seems to want to stay in place. I would have preferred some texture or the knob to be bigger/locking instead of just screw down, but I can't deny that it works and is satisfying.

After unscrewing, the knob counter-screws (so left to unseat the rod, right to thread it into the piston) and after that, it fills nicely. Mine has a slightly sticky piston initially, just requiring a bit more force to free for the first pump, but I suspect that'll break in

I am surprised with the stepped back that it doesn't post for (bleep). It goes on there securely, but becomes stupidly long and back heavy with the metal finial. Kind of annoying for me, but it's a really good length unposted

The mechanism backweights it a bit. not a lot, and doesn't bother me at all, but it's not a neutrally balanced pen.

Overall, the only major disappointment for me is the inability to post, but it's not a deal breaker, and the rest of the pen's fit and finish are superb. It kinda feels weird at first using the piston, feeling how on earth the knob can stay tight, but initial impressions and one day in the pocket thusfar have shown that it stays put. And even without knurling on the knob, just the friction from my thumb rolled along it is plenty to unscrew it, and it doesn't feel awkward at all. I imagine it would be a pain if your fingers were greasy or wet (I have pretty oily fingers, so bad that I hate polished sections, and don't have a problem)

It's not a replacement for the 456, but it is an alternative to the 355 potentially, which has a mechanism that can be annoying if you don't have a transparent model.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

I just posted a first-impressions review too: https://www.fudefan.com/2020/01/penbbs-500/

The more I use this pen, the more I like it. The filling system could be tweaked (textured cap etc), but it works, once you get used to it, and everything else about the pen is solid. Perhaps my favorite PenBBS so far.

fpn_1579404218__500-fnf.jpg

Japan pen show recaps and more on fudefan.com | photos on Instagram (@fudefan)

Overall, the only major disappointment for me is the inability to post, but it's not a deal breaker, and the rest of the pen's fit and finish are superb. It kinda feels weird at first using the piston, feeling how on earth the knob can stay tight, but initial impressions and one day in the pocket thusfar have shown that it stays put. And even without knurling on the knob, just the friction from my thumb rolled along it is plenty to unscrew it, and it doesn't feel awkward at all. I imagine it would be a pain if your fingers were greasy or wet (I have pretty oily fingers, so bad that I hate polished sections, and don't have a problem)

This was the initial worry I have with the pen but it seems it is not an issue.

Will be waiting for mine which shoud arrive by this week.

I got mine yesterday

This one has a good nib. You all know what a PenBBS upturned is like.

Machining on the threads is nice and crisp. Threads are quite small, lots of multistart points, 1.5 turns on/off.

Thank you guy, that answer plenty of my Q regarding the pen, and now am off shopping for one ..

I just posted a first-impressions review too: https://www.fudefan.com/2020/01/penbbs-500/

The more I use this pen, the more I like it. The filling system could be tweaked (textured cap etc), but it works, once you get used to it, and everything else about the pen is solid. Perhaps my favorite PenBBS so far.

fpn_1579404218__500-fnf.jpg

great review. superb photography!

This was the initial worry I have with the pen but it seems it is not an issue.

Will be waiting for mine which shoud arrive by this week.

I can't promise they'll all be that way, but I'm going to take mine to work week after next (once I've given the ensso italia two weeks of use for the brass threads to settle in) so it'll get a real torture test on whether or not that knob wants to come undone.

Mine has no issues with the solid base coming unscrewed, and it seems like it does a bit for fudefan.

I did just try to pick it up after eating breakfast (olive oil fried eggs and an english muffin) and my slightly greasy fingers were still able to open it, but i do really think the mechanism needs some tactile inlay, maybe something like the cap on the wing sung 698, so you can spin it with your fingertip.

Edited by Honeybadgers

4 days into my work abuse routine and the knob hasn't even hinted at being loose.

So far, so good.

Got my 500 and I could see what you are trying to describe HB. It seems they made a loose fit at the threading part of the collapsible clicker rod when it is in the collapsed state. Hence it seems quite easy to disengage with your fingers but you feel that it won't come loose by accident.

Sorry for double posting (again) but if anyone cares I have surprisingly got a PenBBS 492 somehow currently.

The box that it came is huge compared to other PenBBS pens and I also heard that this is a limited edition since it is celebrating the 2020 year of the mouse.

I will try to answer any lingering question to the best of my experience with the pen.

Edited by penzel_washinkton

Sorry for double posting (again) but if anyone cares I have surprisingly got a PenBBS 492 somehow currently.

The box that it came is huge compared to other PenBBS pens and I also heard that this is a limited edition since it is celebrating the 2020 year of the mouse.

I will try to answer any lingering question to the best of my experience with the pen.

That's wonderful! I ordered one within hours of them being released and was told they wouldn't even ship until the end of February.

"There are thousands of thoughts lying within a man that he does not know 'till he takes up the pen and writes."

- William Thackeray

I'm calling it after a week of heavy use. it won't come unscrewed unexpectedly.

I still really think all it needed was knurling on the knob end similar to the finial of the wing sung 698. it's really not a satisfying mechanism to unscrew, even though it does work 100% as advertised.