Montblanc Solitaire Calligraphy Gold Leaf Flex Nib

Michael R.

A few weeks ago this pen was delivered. I was very sceptical before arrival if I would like the flex nib. It took me some adjusting and tuning but I getting used to it the more I write with it. Slower and more controlled writing is necessary for me to use it for regular writing. Also it benefits from any free flowing ink. Yet I yet have to use it even more to decide how well it works for me.

It is not a true flex but more responsive compared to other modern Montblanc nibs. I've yet have to compare it to some other nibs like the Bock #8 Titanium nib on my Conid Kingsize or vintage Montblanc nibs.

I have tried to exchange the original feed with other modern Montblanc 146 feeds and none of them worked. So it might use a special feed to deliver more ink which is needed. Also the nib slit seems to extend a little bit over the nib hole; this is visible on all true-life pictures but not on any official advertisment images.

The tipping is shaped different compared to other modern pens I have handled. It is flat (looking from the side) but still rounded Iooking from the top). I assume that this was done to enhance the difference in written lines in addition to the responsive nib itself but remain a smooth writing experience like that of a round nib.

The finish is very smooth, almost glossy. The golden flecks appear to be real gold leaf showing the typical uneven surface. But this impression remains visual as they lay under a very smooth layer of lacquer. All accents are deep black and smooth just like the cap and barrel. This results in a very interesting combination of a very modern and contemporary look but also very classic and almost splendid design. If I remember correctly Cartier used a similar design on pens many years ago.

Still I'm very curious to find out how identical or different the design is on individual pens!

In my opinion the single tone golden nib matches the pen's design very well.

It was a little bit more difficult to take pictures of that pen as I expected but here they are:

49078107093_56e295cf63_3k.jpgP1490496 by pensninks, auf Flickr

49078834367_72f4956565_3k.jpgP1490445 by pensninks, auf Flickr

49078834632_9ecd280357_3k.jpgP1490447 by pensninks, auf Flickr

49078632211_37849820d2_3k.jpgP1490454 by pensninks, auf Flickr

49078104038_22fbe5c562_3k.jpgP1490455 by pensninks, auf Flickr

49078835637_4379c62b5c_3k.jpgP1490457 by pensninks, auf Flickr

49078104503_270b2e768b_3k.jpgP1490460 by pensninks, auf Flickr

49078632771_cd297390b0_3k.jpgP1490458 by pensninks, auf Flickr

49078106413_adbe60f067_3k.jpgP1490490 by pensninks, auf Flickr

49078107363_f9a96a12d7_3k.jpgP1490501 by pensninks, auf Flickr

49078836517_3d2770edfd_3k.jpgP1490472 by pensninks, auf Flickr

49078104678_5bbe0bf499_3k.jpgP1490464 by pensninks, auf Flickr

49078837017_552fb63027_3k.jpgP1490474 by pensninks, auf Flickr

49078837507_30a99bc0d6_3k.jpgP1490482 by pensninks, auf Flickr

49078106773_5e3543475e_3k.jpgP1490493 by pensninks, auf Flickr

Cheers

Michael

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mjchuang9

• Tom Kellie

• freshmaker

• InesF

~ Michael R.:

I'd hoped for quality images of the Solitaire Calligraphy Gold Leaf Flex Nib by FPN friends.

You've answered that wish with such a wealth of photos from all angles.

Thank you so much for the time and care in making these images.

The lighting, golden paper, handwriting sample, presentation box — they all enhance understanding of the pen's beauty.

Your explanation of writing with the Expression Nib clears up many of my misunderstandings.

I hope that with time and use, your pen will become a treasured writing tool for specialized tasks.

With Much Appreciation,

Tom K.

Michael R.

Congratulations :) Such amazing photos, thank you very much for sharing!

When I first got it I was skeptical as it doesn't behave as one would expect from a flex, but within days it became one of my favorite pens of all time.

Just had to learn how to use it. Its tenacity/persistence not to flex compared to its 149 brother allows it to be a great nib for day-to-day writing on the go, then with some effort it unleashes its potential. I am hoping to pick up the 149 soon (which in contrast needs effort not to splay the tines as it flexes effortlessly) think they'll compliment each other nicely.

The feeder is actually a regular modern 146 one. I can confirm via Axel Nier's correspondence and more importantly my own experience when I personally changed the nib (to rotate on a different body) at the boutique upon my purchase. At Montblanc, every time a nib is pulled out a new feeder must be installed (they consider the old one damaged even if it isn't). Basically, I liked one nib but the body had a scratch so they allowed me to do the switch in-house with the proper tools and technician. The 149 version does require a special/different feeder.

I am sure you have but if you didn't, hold it vertically and look at it with a downward angle in strong light-- amazing the 3D effect of the gold that appears :)

Hope you enjoy it to the max my friend.. congratulations again.

fpn_1574312552__6c4a5c53-9abb-444b-bead-

It's getting harder to write with other pens than expression. It feels like that I almost don't need the other pens anymore.

It's getting harder to write with other pens than expression. It feels like that I almost don't need the other pens anymore.

Do you like feeling that way? It could be a little scary suddenly feeling you dont need your other pens but to me it could be a good feeling and liberating.

Edited by Joane

Happiness is a real Montblanc...

~ mjchuang9:

Thank you for posting the side-by-side comparison image.

The saddle brown leather underneath them is a nicely effective contrast.

If it's ever convenient, it would be especially welcome to see a side-by-side handwriting comparison.

Seeing the difference in how the two Expression Nibs write would be helpful to those who haven't yet acquired one.

They must be superb daily writers for you to consider not writing with your other outstanding Montblanc pens.

Tom K.

Edited by Tom Kellie

fpn_1574780781__4bffb178-cd05-48eb-8abd-

~Tom:

The left is written by 149 flex with elixir marine blue and the right is 146 gold leaf flex with Herbin Rouge Grenat.

Edited by mjchuang9

The left is written by 149 flex with elixir marine blue and the right is 146 gold leaf flex with Herbin Rouge Grenat.

~ mjchuang:

Thank you so much for posting this helpful comparison.

I'm looking carefully, seeing how the strokes vary with each nib.

As it happens, both inks sit on my writing desk, so their characteristics are familiar to me.

If both nibs are equally comfortable for use in your writing, you have a lovely pair.

May they bring you much writing pleasure in the years to come.

Tom K.

Hard to say they write equally comfortably but bring different writing pleasure. You can see 149 have more degrees of freedom to flex but a bit scratchy, however gold leaf writes more smoothly but cannot flex as much as 149 does.

Edited by mjchuang9

• 1 month later...

Corrected version: For what its worth, Id like to add my experience with the Mb Flex Gold Solitaire. Unlike all of my other MBs, getting the ink to flow adequately is an almost daily problem. To start writing I frequently have to adjust the ink flow with a twist of the piston filling system to release a drop or two of ink. Related is frequent railroading when flexing, even with a slow, deliberate downstroke. Once the ink is flowing well, I will say that I can produce some attractive writing that obviously comes from a flex nib. So, its largely a finicky, fair-weather friend. For close to $2K, I expected more from Montblanc. I wasnt expecting the performance of a vintage flex and am content with its modest flex capability, but its unreliability is a serious deficiency.

Corrected version: For what its worth, Id like to add my experience with the Mb Flex Gold Solitaire. Unlike all of my other MBs, getting the ink to flow adequately is an almost daily problem. To start writing I frequently have to adjust the ink flow with a twist of the piston filling system to release a drop or two of ink. Related is frequent railroading when flexing, even with a slow, deliberate downstroke. Once the ink is flowing well, I will say that I can produce some attractive writing that obviously comes from a flex nib. So, its largely a finicky, fair-weather friend. For close to $2K, I expected more from Montblanc. I wasnt expecting the performance of a vintage flex and am content with its modest flex capability, but its unreliability is a serious deficiency.

~ uticarose:

Thank you for explaining the challenges which you've encountered in writing with your Montblanc Calligraphy Gold Leaf 146 Expression Nib.

The irregular ink flow is a vexing issue. It's disheartening to read that its performance has been unsatisfactory in major several key respects.

Do you feel that over time the problems may diminish...or...does it seem as though these are inherent issues?

Tom K.

Edited by Tom Kellie

Interesting, I guess I am fortunate as I have not had this issue with mine. I will admit that from time to time i find the flow a bit lite, it has performed very nicely. I did do a very thorough flushing prior to filling it as I have had a few pens that needed this to be acceptable. I have also never been able to get mine to railroad. I would definitely send it back to MB with examples of your issues!

My gold leaf performs very well. It is more stable than 149 flex. I have changed the second 149's nib however the tines are still easily misaligned ( although it is easily tuned too ) and has click sound no nib creep though. Only one thing to be concerned is had better choose dark wet inks in gold leaf. If you choose light color and dry inks it will hardly be seen without pressure and be scratchy.

Gold leaf is the most beautiful solitaire I have.

Edited by mjchuang9

• 1 month later...

It's so hard to find comparisons of the Gold Leaf flex and 149 flex nibs, so thank you so much for the writing sample! Do you by chance own any Aurora flex nibs? I'm curious how they compare.

Regarding this comment:

I've been considering these pens for a while, leaning more towards the Gold Leaf Solitaire. But this comment from uticarose really gives me pause. I don't want to pay 2k for a pen who's feed needs to be primed and baby'd with every use. I've seen a few videos of the 149 flex that seems it's able to keep up, but haven't been able to find one for the Gold Leaf.

@uticarose, have you tried getting Montblanc to fix your pen?

@mjchuang9 is your Gold Leaf pen a daily driver for you?

Thanks so much!

It's so hard to find comparisons of the Gold Leaf flex and 149 flex nibs, so thank you so much for the writing sample! Do you by chance own any Aurora flex nibs? I'm curious how they compare.

Regarding this comment:

I've been considering these pens for a while, leaning more towards the Gold Leaf Solitaire. But this comment from uticarose really gives me pause. I don't want to pay 2k for a pen who's feed needs to be primed and baby'd with every use. I've seen a few videos of the 149 flex that seems it's able to keep up, but haven't been able to find one for the Gold Leaf.

@uticarose, have you tried getting Montblanc to fix your pen?

@mjchuang9 is your Gold Leaf pen a daily driver for you?

Thanks so much!

Yes both 149 and GL flex are daily drivers. However GL is harder to flex than 149 I recommend to use wet inks. if you use light color and dry inks it could not write well especially without pressure.

Are you saying it requires pressure when using dry inks because it hard starts? That would be unfortunate as well :(