Comparable Ink To Bungubox 4B

kittytoug

I know this question was explored a while ago, but since so many new boutique ink producers have emerged like Robert Oster, I guess it is worth revisiting.

I would love to get a bottle of Bungubox 4B. I, as many others I am sure, cant easily find it and am annoyed at the companys decision to charge more for less ink.

Any ink out there that would compare to 4B?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SashK

• lapis

• aurore

• Barkingpig

I’ve wanted 4B for quite some time as well but have never brought myself to buy it. I’ve found several inks that keep me from pining for it. I don’t know how close a match any of them are, but they do what I imagine 4B does perfectly well. I imagine 4B as blue, but very dark. Not black, not grey, but intense dark blue. I hope that makes sense.

The top contenders are Sailor Yonanga and Herbin Bleu de Profondours. I favor the Herbin since Yonanga has the same price issues as all other Sailor inks and the Herbin always performs perfectly and looks great even on sub-par paper. Yonanga performs well, but needs good paper to show off. Diamine Regency Blue is more blurple but has that same intensity. It’s firmly dark blurple, not grey or black. R&K Verdigris has that same quality but runs teal.

Yet another Sarah.

• 2 months later...

Currently on a bit of a blue-black kick. I'd give Kobe #7 Kaikyo Blue a try. In terms of sheen it seems the closest comparably speaking. The colors are not exactly the same, but the Kobe ink is a Sailor-made ink for the Nagasawa stationery store, so it has all the usual Sailor ink properties. It's wet, it sheens heavily, it is well behaved and shines on quality paper.

Aurora blue-black is one I don't mind recommending, it is average on wetness, but is well-behaved on even garbage paper. It shades nicely, right through each word, and on good paper the bottom half is all coppery-red sheen.

I'll be getting my hands on 4B and Yonaga next week, so hopefully I can compare them side by side, and report back.

There is a great review for Kobe #7 that compares it with a series of other inks, including 4B. It is courtesy of @macchiatoman and it is how I made the decision to grab Kobe #7. In any case, the review is superb, as always. No affiliation.

Kobe Nagasawa 38 Kitanozaka Night Blue is not quite the same but similar and I actually like it more :)
Wo7RzU9.png
(the photo taken from https://macchiatoman.com/blog/2016/8/2/ink-review-kobe-38-kitanozoka-night-blue )

Edited by aurore

Seeking a Parker Duofold Centennial cap top medallion/cover/decal.
My Mosaic Black Centennial MK2 lost it (used to have silver color decal).

Preferably MK2. MK3 or MK1 is also OK as long as it fits.  
Preferably EU.

(On Kobe #38) Ooh, I can't seem to find it online, but it is on a list for future ink purchases, haha

What a hobby.

Simply Sailor blue black. Nearly the same amount of sheen, heavily saturated, darker and more neutral/conservative, better water resistance, lighter for the purse.

If we include Sailor Blue-black, I'd throw in a vote for Taccia Auguro blue black. Same vein and properties but with more sheen (if that's your thing). It is one of my favorite blue blacks, period.

S.T. Dupont's Blue Nuit / Dark Blue. Réf. 040111. Unfortunately today only available in cartridges. Just buy a few boxes and suck out the ink with a syringe for storage in a bottle. Lamy's Azurite (in the new "crystal ink" line) is also strikingly similar, but easier to get and less expensive.

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

(On Kobe #38) Ooh, I can't seem to find it online,

Let me help.

That's not an exhaustive list of suppliers from whom you can order Kobe INK Story inks online. I have no affiliation with them, other than having bought inks from NSC on RGM, and Milligram as well, without any issues.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

(On Kobe #38) Ooh, I can't seem to find it online, but it is on a list for future ink purchases, haha

What a hobby.

You might also check on EBAY; Seller, cool-japan, has it listed with price to include free shipping. I find him to be a very good source for not only the Kobe inks but also some other difficult to source Japanese inks (an additional site on Ebay he hosts under the name, 21tgif, may offer some other inks you might find interesting.

I am not affiliated with him, merely have enjoyed his making many of the harder to source inks available. (If you type in Kobe ink on Ebay's search, you will find most listings are his.)

What a hobby.

Just contact Kobe Nagasawa directly. The cheapest, the easiest, there is no better option. penstyle-den@kobe-nagasawa.co.jp

Edited by aurore

Seeking a Parker Duofold Centennial cap top medallion/cover/decal.
My Mosaic Black Centennial MK2 lost it (used to have silver color decal).

Preferably MK2. MK3 or MK1 is also OK as long as it fits.  
Preferably EU.

You might also check on EBAY; Seller, cool-japan, has it listed with price to include free shipping. I find him to be a very good source for not only the Kobe inks but also some other difficult to source Japanese inks (an additional site on Ebay he hosts under the name, 21tgif, may offer some other inks you might find interesting.

I am not affiliated with him, merely have enjoyed his making many of the harder to source inks available. (If you type in Kobe ink on Ebay's search, you will find most listings are his.)

I'd like to confirm that. Very dependable, fair prices, very fast delivery. If he has any questions and/or open suggestions, he'll reply immediately.

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Let me help.

That's not an exhaustive list of suppliers from whom you can order Kobe INK Story inks online. I have no affiliation with them, other than having bought inks from NSC on RGM, and Milligram as well, without any issues.

A Smug Dill - This is wonderful, thank you so much. That list is more than enough, appreciate you taking the time to post a reply. I did not even know I could go straight to the source!

I've order a couple of pens once from him. Very polite and fast shipping to America. Actually, one of the first ebay sellers I heard about on FPN. Haven't looked at his store in a while, should probably do that. Thanks!

Just contact Kobe Nagasawa directly. The cheapest, the easiest, there is no better option. penstyle-den@kobe-nagasawa.co.jp

Thanks Aurore, this is more invaluable information. Especially since they are still adding to their ink line it seems. And it takes a minute for it to go global.