The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

If It's Stupid And It Works...

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,819 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 November 2019 - 07:29

Last night I was pulling the nib from a ratty old eversharp skyline and the barrel cracked clean in half, right around the threads and down into the barrel.

Figured the pen was basically junk anyways, I filed the edges with a needle file to add in a gentle taper, mixed up some JB weld, did a modest schmear all around, clamped it in a block, and 24 hours later.

It worked. Perfectly. I'm putting a pretty unreasonable amount of pressure on it and it's rock solid.

The crack is barely visible (nobody would see it unless I pointed it out), and since JB weld is easily wiped up with water before cured, cleanup was a snap and the threads weren't mangled with epoxy even though the crack extended into them.

.... Has anyone else used JB weld before?

I can hear you cringe, Rob. The pen was junk before it broke  :P

Edited by Honeybadgers, 15 November 2019 - 07:30.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Sponsored Content

#2 FredRydr

FredRydr

Have Pen. Will Travel.

• Member - Gold

• 4,344 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 November 2019 - 12:15

Yes.  I carry it when motorcycling.  Three of us were in the high ranges of the San Juan Mountains of SW Colorado on a rough Jeep road, when a riding buddy hit a rock with the oil sump of his 650 V-Strom.  Oil came gushing out of a jagged hole.  I wiped it up best I could, kneaded together the two parts of a tube of JBWeld, and formed a big patch over the hole.  While it cured for an hour, I rode down to Telluride for oil.  The next day my buddy was told by the Suzuki dealer in Montrose that they didn't have a gasket to replace the sump, but said the JBWeld patch was so good he could ride back to Pennsylvania.

It's great stuff.  Perhaps overkill for a Skyline?

#3 Maccabeus

Maccabeus

Curmudgeon

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 November 2019 - 13:34

A friend used it to replace the head gasket of his Fiat spider when it blew outside Hulapai during a Phoenix/Seattle road trip. IIRC, he ran it like that for around 6 months

Lux In Obscuro Sumus

#4 kestrel

kestrel

School Eccentric

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 02:50

I can here Ron cringe, too, but I have to ask.  Has anyone ever tried this stuff on BHR?  If so, results please.  If not, I may have a candidate.

Dave Campbell
Science Teacher and Pen Addict
Every day is a chance to reduce my level of ignorance.

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

#5 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,819 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 November 2019 - 08:14

Yes.  I carry it when motorcycling.  Three of us were in the high ranges of the San Juan Mountains of SW Colorado on a rough Jeep road, when a riding buddy hit a rock with the oil sump of his 650 V-Strom.  Oil came gushing out of a jagged hole.  I wiped it up best I could, kneaded together the two parts of a tube of JBWeld, and formed a big patch over the hole.  While it cured for an hour, I rode down to Telluride for oil.  The next day my buddy was told by the Suzuki dealer in Montrose that they didn't have a gasket to replace the sump, but said the JBWeld patch was so good he could ride back to Pennsylvania.

It's great stuff.  Perhaps overkill for a Skyline?

I meant on pens  :P it's been a shop staple for years. currently been plugging a hole on my cb400T's exhaust for the last 5 years. Used it to make a new ball for a clutch cable that had snapped.

Edited by Honeybadgers, 16 November 2019 - 08:14.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

#6 txomsy

txomsy

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 November 2019 - 12:33

Wish I had known years ago. It'd saved me many nice pens.

#7 bsenn

bsenn

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 November 2019 - 13:16

I meant on pens  :P it's been a shop staple for years. currently been plugging a hole on my cb400T's exhaust for the last 5 years. Used it to make a new ball for a clutch cable that had snapped.

Used JB Weld on a CB750F (SOHC) gas tank seam leak. Held for years.

Off topic - Honeybadger - my Dad, brother, and I have had a total of maybe 8 CB400s. Brother still rides one almost daily. I used to occasionally drag race one (14.9 sec quarter). Great bikes. We bought a few closeout crate motors from Honda and kept them going for years. So much fun to ride at nine-tenths without endangering one's self or getting tickets (ok, I got one ticket). The Concourse I ride now is more like four-tenths before getting into trouble.

One test is worth a thousand expert opinions.

#8 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,819 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 November 2019 - 00:48

Used JB Weld on a CB750F (SOHC) gas tank seam leak. Held for years.

Off topic - Honeybadger - my Dad, brother, and I have had a total of maybe 8 CB400s. Brother still rides one almost daily. I used to occasionally drag race one (14.9 sec quarter). Great bikes. We bought a few closeout crate motors from Honda and kept them going for years. So much fun to ride at nine-tenths without endangering one's self or getting tickets (ok, I got one ticket). The Concourse I ride now is more like four-tenths before getting into trouble.

I don't love the old 400. It was a cheap resto beater, and I much preferred the old CX500 that I traded for a CB350 that I turned into a cafe racer that I wound up hating because it was way too scary fast for such a little bike in the end - (BTW if anyone ever tells you that a comstar wheel with a loose rivet is trash, they're lying. I was told that there was no way it'd be strong enough - despite the fasteners being aluminum rivets and not steel bolts - and that the rim was held under tension and would warp when removed - also didn't happen, as I measured the before/after runout  - and marched ahead with drilling all the rivets on a loose rear comstar, reaming the holes and replacing them with grade 8 bolts /w loctite 648 on the threads and using a punch to mar the thread and prevent it backing out - drilling grade 8 for safety wire was too much for my drill press setup to do precisely - It amazes me that nobody had really explored that before, but the wheel has seen probably 5000 miles of use on bumpy washington roads over 5 years and I inspect the bolts every season - they're rock solid)

I'm probably gonna go back to a CX500 at some point. Right now I have the CB400, an old project TS185 two stroke enduro I got for free, and an FZ-1000 that my dad gave me when he wanted to reduce his stable. I like old, slow motorcycles.

And I definitely need to get another gen 1 Aprilia RSV mille R back in my stable. I've had two and really regretted getting rid of both, so I need to get one and KEEP it. Easily the most gorgeous superbike ever made, and it sounds like war and thunder. Just kept coming down to keeping dad's old bike or the aprilia, and sentiment always won, even though I don't even really like the clinical "perfect" manners of the Yamaha.

Edited by Honeybadgers, 17 November 2019 - 00:49.

#9 LukeSkyliner

LukeSkyliner

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 November 2019 - 03:14

I've used JB Weld on BHR with good results.  It dries dark grey which I stain with Magic Marker.  Ron will likely shoot me, too, but JB Weld has been a big help with many old BHR pen cracks and breaks.

My old Kawasaki Nomad serves perfectly; comfy, slow, and needing much less maintenance than a CX500.

#10 Bibliophage

Bibliophage

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 04:59

I've used JB Weld on BHR with good results.  It dries dark grey which I stain with Magic Marker.  Ron will likely shoot me, too, but JB Weld has been a big help with many old BHR pen cracks and breaks.

My old Kawasaki Nomad serves perfectly; comfy, slow, and needing much less maintenance than a CX500.

As long as you don't sell the pen as being 'professionally restored', or in 'perfect condition', I don't think anyone will think badly of you.  

#11 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,819 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 November 2019 - 09:15

I had a CX500 with 95,000 miles that ran like new. It needed one new head gasket once (a trivial affair since it's OHV and I did the timing chain while I was in there) but it was the most dead nuts reliable bike I ever owned. Carbs never needed synching, valves NEVER seemed to need adjusting, just coolant every couple years when I did the FZ and brake fluid, plus typical oil changes. Shaft drive was zero maintenance.

the point of the CX was unbelievable reliability. And apart from occasional head gaskets (which genuinely only take 15 -30 minutes to replace) every 10-30 years, they're stupid reliable as long as you don't run them screaming hot and bake the factory stator.

#12 Bluto Carpaccio

Bluto Carpaccio

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 17:36

I first used JB Weld many years ago in a lab setting.  It was the only way we could reliably glue butt joints of polycarbonate sheets together.  A year ago, my Bexley 2012 Owners Club fell two stories onto a stone floor.  The cap busted into about 10 pieces.  I tried Superglue to acrylic cement to 5-min epoxies, but nothing lasted.  Last week I found some old JB Weld in the refrigerator and it worked perfectly.  Just mix well and

mind the dry time.

fpn_1574962454__jb_weld_on_bexley.jpg

Too many pens, not enough fingers

#13 mariom

mariom

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 November 2019 - 22:54

Last night I was pulling the nib from a ratty old eversharp skyline and the barrel cracked clean in half, right around the threads and down into the barrel.

Figured the pen was basically junk anyways, I filed the edges with a needle file to add in a gentle taper, mixed up some JB weld, did a modest schmear all around, clamped it in a block, and 24 hours later.

It worked. Perfectly. I'm putting a pretty unreasonable amount of pressure on it and it's rock solid.

The crack is barely visible (nobody would see it unless I pointed it out), and since JB weld is easily wiped up with water before cured, cleanup was a snap and the threads weren't mangled with epoxy even though the crack extended into them.

I can hear you cringe, Rob. The pen was junk before it broke  :P

JB Weld is not an Australian staple, but I see it is available here. However, there appear to be many variants of the product. Which particular one did you use for this repair?

=====================================
Mario Mirabile
Melbourne, Australia

www.miralightimaging.com

=====================================

#14 Hanamizu

Hanamizu

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 November 2019 - 01:14

The JB Weld I've used (on motorcycles, not pens) comes in a white tube and a black tube. It says "steel reinforced epoxy". You might check on Amazon. It's good stuff. I had the gas tank on my pick up develop pin-hole leaks. Syphoned off most of the gas, jacked the truck up until the gas that was left quit leaking, slathered on JB Weld, let it set for a day or so, no more leaks for years.

It dries to a medium grey. I have no idea how it will work with BHR, but it has done the job every time I've used it.

#15 Bluto Carpaccio

Bluto Carpaccio

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 07:19

The JB I used on my Bexley has no metal filing reinforcement.  Can't read any product ID anymore but one tube has a red cap, the other tube has a black cap.  Dries medium gray.  

Too many pens, not enough fingers

#16 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,819 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 December 2019 - 01:25

JB Weld is not an Australian staple, but I see it is available here. However, there appear to be many variants of the product. Which particular one did you use for this repair?

The classic red and black stuff. It's a two part epoxy that comes in two little toothpaste tubes.

Edited by Honeybadgers, 01 December 2019 - 01:25.

Sponsored Content

|