The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Lady Duofold Lucky Curve Sacs

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 eharriett

eharriett

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,643 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 November 2019 - 05:47

I asked this question on the Parker sub, I thought I should ask here as well just to see if the answers are the same.

I am restoring a Lady Duofold Lucky curve. Theres some confusion online about what sac to get.

It is an orange Lady Duofold ringtop and the nib is marked "P" The size capped is 4 7/16". Its a button filler.

Pendemonium says I need a 17 1/2 - 1 11/16 Necked
Pensacs.com, on the other hand, says I need a 17 1/2 - 2 1/8 Necked
Yet IndyPenDance says I need a size 15 straight

The consensus on the Parker forums is to use a regular size 15 sac, but I wanted to get some additional thoughts. What is tripping me up is three trusted guides tell me three different sac sizes to use and Im having trust issues because of it, I guess. Are these three really that different for this pen?

I hope it isnt bad form to ask this question again, Im know I can just throw a 15 from my stocks in there and call it good. I guess Im trying to understand how performance differs in this pen based on which of these three sacs I use. Trying to understand the why rather than the which by asking this question here.

Thanks for indulging my scientific curiosity.

Sponsored Content

#2 Stylomeister

Stylomeister

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 24 November 2019 - 16:28

Apparently the necking is to help improve the effectiveness of the button filling mechanism to draw ink. Pensacs.com seem to chime with Pendragons opinion - theyve been pretty close with my Duofolds though Ive found with seniors the internal diameter may vary from year to year and especially if the pressure bar has been replaced with a non-OEM.

https://www.vintagep...r_fountain_pens

#3 eharriett

eharriett

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,643 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 November 2019 - 18:20

Well that brings up some interesting questions about Snorkels and Touchdowns.  I'd been using straight sacs on my Touchdowns.  The chart suggests necked.

#4 Ron Z

Ron Z

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,945 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 14:40

I will tell you that its very rare to find a necked sac in a pen.  That may be what they used in the factory, but I rarely see them.  I've never seen a necked and tapered sac in a Skyline, thought that's what is called for.  Repair shops carried an assortment of straight sacs, and that's what got put in the pens.  The idfference in ink capacity isn't enough to justify keeping the fancy ones around.

banner200.jpg
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

#5 eharriett

eharriett

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,643 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 November 2019 - 05:13

Thank you. That makes me feel better.

Sponsored Content

|