Darkest Blue

bso

Blue Blacks I am enthusiastic about in order of lightest to darkest...

Noodlers Blue Black

Pelikan Edelstein Tanzanite

Diamine Blue Black

Montblanc Midnight Blue

Montblanc JFK Navy Blue

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bso

• bemon

• lapis

• corniche

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Visconti Blue is also pretty deep.

Sean :)

A few years ago I too was looking for a dark vibrant blue, and had been impressed by some reviews of Visconti Blue on here, so I ordered some cartridges of it in order to try it out.

The stuff that I got in the cartridges is not a deep dark vibrant blue.

It is very pale stuff, and looks like a ‘washable blue’ :o

I presume that the bottled VB must be made to a different formula.

So, if anyone is thinking of trying out Visconti Blue in their quest for a dark blue, I advise them to order a sample vial of the bottled ink, and to not buy it in cartridges.

Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.

mini-postcard-exc.png

A few years ago I too was looking for a dark vibrant blue, and had been impressed by some reviews of Visconti Blue on here, so I ordered some cartridges of it in order to try it out.

The stuff that I got in the cartridges is not a deep dark vibrant blue.

It is very pale stuff, and looks like a washable blue :o

I presume that the bottled VB must be made to a different formula.

So, if anyone is thinking of trying out Visconti Blue in their quest for a dark blue, I advise them to order a sample vial of the bottled ink, and to not buy it in cartridges.

Hi Mercian,

This is odd. Companies usually don't have a separate formula for cartridges; it wouldn't be feasible.

I bought my bottle several years ago; I wonder if they changed the formula? :unsure:

I'll never forget the catastrophic results when Omas changed their blue ink formula around ten years ago... I swear it's the reason they folded. :rolleyes:

https://www.catholicscomehome.org/

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

Thank you Our Lady of Prompt Succor & St. Jude.

My first thought was that the (reputable) vendor had accidentally sent me the wrong cartridges by mistake. But the packaging was all the right stuff, and Visconti don’t claim to even sell ‘washable blue’.

Then I thought it might have been my pen, so put one through the wettest pen that I own - and it still came out paler than Waterman ‘Florida Blue’ :(

Maybe I just got a bad batch of cartridges?

I think that I once saw one other report of the same problem on here, but that was years ago and it was only the one other one. Still, if I ever try VB again I am going to order it in a sample vial (& hope that they take it from the right bottle ;) ).

mini-postcard-exc.png

I found that discrepancy between the Visconti blue in cartridges & the bottled stuff. I was looking for a saturated 'electric blue'. Well, as saturated as could be without the cleaning hassles associated with Noodlers Baystate Blue. Anyway, I don't have great need for blue, so my small bottle of Iroshizuku Asa Gao is going to last me a long time.

So i finally picked up visconti blue but in carts. If its not the rich blue I'm expecting I'll be disappointed but not heartbroken. I'm already loving kon peki, asa gao, ama iro, herbin bleu nuit, and akkerman dutch masters #8. I'm in pretty good shape.

Edited by MHBru

What I posted last I was agreeing with the previous observation about the Visconti ink.

But... We are here to talk about dark blues.

I tried Diamine Blue/Black, but I swear the stuff leans a bit towards Teal. I don't know if it is just down to the paper or the pen (or my eyesight).

So I tried Diamine Midnight. That is a deep, dark blue you could call blue/black without stretching the truth.

I have also used Herbin Bleu des Profondeurs. That and Midnight appear virtually the same to me. However. I should use several papers and pens as well as examine the results out in daylight. You can buy 30ml bottles of the Diamine inks that are maybe better for refilling pens from since the ink is in a narrower vessel. The Herbin ink bottle is a form that has a groove on the shoulder of the bottle to rest a (dip) pen. It is a historical thing. It still holds the same 30ml.

I tried the herbin ink in cartridges and after the first one I immediately bought a 30ml bottle. I liked the ink that much.

Visconti Blue in the bottle (butelka in the photo) is a really nice, saturated blue without violet tones. Visconti Blue in cartridges (naboje in the photo) is a totally different ink:

7ccb730afdd4c747med.jpg

Marcin

Visconti Blue in the bottle (butelka in the photo) is a really nice, saturated blue without violet tones. Visconti Blue in cartridges (naboje in the photo) is a totally different ink:

7ccb730afdd4c747med.jpg

Marcin

Welcome to FPN MarcinMilewski :)

And many thanks for confirming (& showing) the difference between the bottled version of Visconti Blue and the version that’s sold in cartridges :thumbup:

mini-postcard-exc.png

7ccb730afdd4c747med.jpg

Marcin

Hi Marcin, Mercian, Dip n Scratch, etc.,

Thank you for this, from me, too. This is a first for me. :huh: (And you saved me $12, too :D); now I don't have to get a pack to see for myself.

Edited by corniche

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

Welcome to FPN MarcinMilewski :)

And many thanks for confirming (& showing) the difference between the bottled version of Visconti Blue and the version that’s sold in cartridges :thumbup:

Thank you Mercian :).

Hi Marcin, Mercian, Dip n Scratch, etc.,

Thank you for this, from me, too. This is a first for me. :huh: (And you saved me $12, too :D); now I don't have to get a pack to see for myself.

Thanks Sean! Visconti Blue sold in bottles is one of my favourites blue inks ever. I was a little bit surprised when bought cartridges for the first time.

Marcin

Edited by MarcinMilewski

Thanks Sean! Visconti Blue sold in bottles is one of my favourites blue inks ever. I was a little bit surprised when bought cartridges for the first time.

Marcin

Hi Marcin,

You're welcome. Yeah, Visconti Blue (IN BOTTLES) has been a favorite of mine for years; even though it is a royal PITA to flush. I never would have thought the cartridges were different until now.

• 2 weeks later...

fpn_1579271231__img_4586.jpg

Depending on how individual screens resolve this, it's a pretty dark ink. the dry starting is abnormal for my L2K. It's only seems to happen on the coldest days and it's -13C today. Judging by how cold my pen still feels I guess the back seat of the car doesn't warm up much for the hour drive to work.

THANKS for this screenshot. I'll need to look into this ink.

Sailor Shikiori Yonaga.

The darkest blue ever is Kobe Nagasawa N51 Kano Cho (Kano Machi). It looks fairly black, but actually is neither black nor blue-black, just the darkest blue, at least to my eyes.

Seeking a Parker Duofold Centennial cap top medallion/cover/decal.
My Mosaic Black Centennial MK2 lost it (used to have silver color decal).

Preferably MK2. MK3 or MK1 is also OK as long as it fits.  
Preferably EU.