The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Ohio Pen Show - More Fun Pens

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 gweimer1

gweimer1

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,369 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 November 2019 - 17:00

I thought I'd share these with everyone.  More Esterbrook prototypes that I got at the auction.

fpn_1573491509__esterbrook_prototypes_3.

fpn_1573491614__esterbrook_prototypes_4.

Sponsored Content

#2 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,913 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 November 2019 - 19:12

Wondered who had bid on those.  I looked at the auction items before going to dinner Saturday evening, but didn't go to the auction.  The problem for me was that most of the items were either things I didn't know enough about, things I didn't think I could afford (or was afraid that I WOULD bid on them), a couple of things I didn't want, and things like those Estie prototypes -- which, while interesting on a meta-level, were not something I'd have been bidding on, on the grounds of my not being a "C-worder": I don't want to buy pens to put in a display case and say "Look at my cool stuff in this display case";  I want to be able to say "Hey look at this awesome pen and how well it writes!"  

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#3 Parker51

Parker51

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,292 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 03:32

Oh, I think they will be written with, carefully, but yes written with, maybe to create a writing sample for publication and posterity.

#4 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,510 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 November 2019 - 04:48

Wondered who had bid on those.  I looked at the auction items before going to dinner Saturday evening, but didn't go to the auction.  The problem for me was that most of the items were either things I didn't know enough about, things I didn't think I could afford (or was afraid that I WOULD bid on them), a couple of things I didn't want, and things like those Estie prototypes -- which, while interesting on a meta-level, were not something I'd have been bidding on, on the grounds of my not being a "C-worder": I don't want to buy pens to put in a display case and say "Look at my cool stuff in this display case";  I want to be able to say "Hey look at this awesome pen and how well it writes!"  

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

I have never been much concerned about a narrow focus of interest.  My interests are pretty narrow on any manufacturer's wares.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#5 AAAndrew

AAAndrew

(Not so) Wee Timorous Beastie

• Member - Gold

• 2,914 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 November 2019 - 22:54

Care to explain what makes them prototypes? Is it the color of the top one? Bands? 

As my wife's old Russian ballet teacher used to say, "Please to explanation me." 

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

#6 gweimer1

gweimer1

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,369 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 November 2019 - 23:15

The transitional J is a color that was called Bronze, so lighter than what we know as Copper.  The cap ring has a single groove running through the center.  The obvious feature is both the gold-plated trim and the matching nib.

The white is a full-size J, which was never made in production.  That's the whole story on that one.

#7 AAAndrew

AAAndrew

(Not so) Wee Timorous Beastie

• Member - Gold

• 2,914 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 November 2019 - 00:22

Shows how much I am paying attention. I hadn't even noticed the gold-plated trim. I saw the band, and the color but hadn't noticed the trim and the nib. 

I don't know much about the doctor/nurse pens so didn't know their relative size. 

Those are pretty darn cool. 

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

#8 antoniosz

antoniosz

ET IN ARCADIA EGO

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,044 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:34

Nice :)

Sponsored Content