The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Best Handwriting Nib For Dip Pens...?

dip pen handwriting

6 replies to this topic

#1 MiracleChild

MiracleChild

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 November 2019 - 09:21

Hello

I’ve been using dip pens for handwriting for a very long time now, but I’ve either used whatever nibs the pens came with, if antique, or just picked from whatever nibs came with it if it was a modern calligraphy pen set.

I need to get a new one, and I’m trying to think a bit more systematically about nib selection. I handwrite a lot (I hate typing) but my handwriting is rather poor and scribbly, which is one reason I’ve used dip pens for so long - because they force me to slow down a bit and take greater care. I’m certainly no calligrapher.

Does anyone have any recommendations for the best nib type for general-purpose handwriting with a dip pen? I need something with a reasonable flow rate and not prone to spatter when writing quickly.

Thanks - suggestions much appreciated  :)

Sponsored Content

#2 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,819 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 November 2019 - 10:04

Zebra G, no contest. super consistent, never hard starts, quite smooth, modest flex, cheap, easy to obtain, extremely consistent.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

#3 AAAndrew

AAAndrew

(Not so) Wee Timorous Beastie

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,912 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 November 2019 - 19:29

It all depends on what you like. There were hundreds of different styles made during the hey day of dip pens. I'm assuming you want a pointed pen. If you're looking for new, then Honeybadger's suggestion is a good one. If vintage, then there are a lot of different ones to choose from. You're in dip pen paradise there in England. More pens were made in Birmingham than anywhere else in the world, by far. And there are a lot still around to choose from. 

If you had a choice, and you're just looking for a pen which is easy to write with, I would find a William Mitchell "Fine" "J Pen". The "J Pen" (and everyone made their own version, I just happen to like William Mitchell's the best, though Geo. Hughes made a nice one) was the best selling pen style in England, outside of maybe Gillott's 303. The Medium ones, I find a little large for regular writing, but then I write rather small. If you're a large writer, medium will work. 

Look for any of the shoulder pens. They make great every-day writers. I like the Birmingham Education nibs that show up fairly regularly, and inexpensively, on the auction site. If you want no flex, then look for a Manifold pen. They were stiff enough to write through sheets of carbon paper, but their tips were also finished to be smooth since you're putting more pressure on the pen. It's basically a nail, but smooth. 

Post Office pens were also meant for lots of different kinds of people to write with, so they are not too flexible, and fairly robust. Also any "spoon" pen or falcon pen is meant to be an everyday writer and should work well. 

You can visit my glossary of pen shapes to know what I'm talking about with these shape names. https://thesteelpen....posed-glossary/

Unless of course, you're looking for a stub. Then you have to go vintage. Pretty much any of the vintage stubs will be great. They were originally invented to be smooth and to facilitate rapid and continuous writing. I'm particularly fond of the Esterbrook 314, which was made both in the US and in England. 

If you show an example of the kind of writing you do now, and if you have had a vintage nib you've liked, I can get very specific for vintage nibs. Modern nibs are more limited in what's available, and the Zebra G is probably the best all-around pen made now.  

Glad to hear someone else uses dip nibs for everyday writing. Most of my collection and knowledge is focused on American dip pens, but you can hardly be completely ignorant of British pens if you study this subject for long. 

Andrew

fpn_1557237114__2018_12_20_example_of_wr

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

#4 MiracleChild

MiracleChild

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 November 2019 - 12:36

fpn_1573647949__0a78d6b1-c506-46ce-ad79-

#5 MiracleChild

MiracleChild

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 November 2019 - 13:00

Dear Andrew, Honeybadgers,

Thanks very much for the suggestions! 

I do like the Massag 521, as I said above - it came attached to a Caran d’ache 114 holder that someone got me as a present from a second-hand shop. I managed to work out the make and found some unused ones for sale online, so I’ve been able to order some.

I’ll definitely give the Zebra G a go too.

#6 MiracleChild

MiracleChild

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 November 2019 - 13:14

I’m also quite fond of this pen - I use it for marking books in green ink. My parents got it for me from an antique shop; the holder is Edwardian silver, I believe, and needs a thorough polish. I don’t know if you’d be able to identify the nib type....? I’m not sure if it counts as a stub or not, or if it is from the same time as the holder... Thanks!

fpn_1573650643__ada1a6cb-50b7-4dea-aa23-

Edited by MiracleChild, 13 November 2019 - 13:17.

#7 AAAndrew

AAAndrew

(Not so) Wee Timorous Beastie

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,912 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 November 2019 - 13:28

that one in the silver holder is a J pen. You can see the "J" just sticking out. That looks like a "J" in medium size. You'd have to pull it out to see the maker.

These are great pens and very smooth to write with. The mediums seem more common, and the fine "J" is a little harder to find. 

the Massag up above looks like a fairly stiff pen. I like Massag, they're well-made Czech pens. The manifold pens I mentioned before would write like this. I'm not as familiar with the British pens which would be firm like this. I do know the American ones. Esterbrook 322 Inflexible pens would be my preferred ones for this. I made a video showing a selection of the Esterbrook as well as a few other "Inflexible" pens and how they perform. I have posted up on my channel a few other experimental videos of different kinds of pens . Someday I'll add more. 

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dip pen, handwriting

Sponsored Content

|