The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Kemma Fountain Pen @ Ginza Six

fountain pen kemma

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Pen_Padawan

Pen_Padawan

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 November 2019 - 14:05

Kemma Fountain Pens had a display at Tokyo Ginza Six today. They had a display of their sapphire nib material that was very interesting. If you like stiffer nibs you should give this a try. Their Urushi and Maki-e is top notch. If I understood the sales lady correct, their Urushi and Maki-e is on wood not ebonite. Nice bigger pen with international converter.

Attached Images

• 21794BDD-E3BF-43C0-BEE6-9A74884996F4.jpeg
  • 08F2AB92-4261-4567-8A6F-37B2E7248C3D.jpeg
  • A6840C43-769D-46AA-816B-560D1706D460.jpeg
  • A521B7DA-03C8-42CB-90AE-41ECA4D41C1A.jpeg
  • 91D31C2B-BC7F-44FE-8277-B7135D481B2A.jpeg
  • 404C606E-9500-4451-BEBB-E314932C675D.jpeg

Sponsored Content

#2 OmegaMountain

OmegaMountain

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 November 2019 - 17:41

I saw these at Mitsukoshi earlier this year. Unique a beautiful, but at a significant price...

"Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest hearts." - Patrick Rothfuss

#3 cattar

cattar

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 18:06

Sapphire as nib. Pretty. And interesting.

No tipping on those nibs, or will they have tipping drilled in or attached with prongs?

Did you have an opportunity to write with a sapphire nib, or see one set into a pen?

#4 Pen_Padawan

Pen_Padawan

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 November 2019 - 12:18

Sapphire as nib. Pretty. And interesting.
No tipping on those nibs, or will they have tipping drilled in or attached with prongs?
Did you have an opportunity to write with a sapphire nib, or see one set into a pen?

I did test, they are very stiff with no flex but super smooth. More like a glass dip pen.

#5 OmegaMountain

OmegaMountain

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 November 2019 - 22:25

I did test, they are very stiff with no flex but super smooth. More like a glass dip pen.

It believe it is glass because I think they use synthetic sapphire.

"Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest hearts." - Patrick Rothfuss

#6 cattar

cattar

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 22:36

Most likely it is lab-grown sapphire, which would still be corundum and almost as hard as diamond.

Custom grinds may be a challenge and replacing a dropped nib may cost a bit.

Beautiful nibs.

#7 wanderlust

wanderlust

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 14:51

I happened to be at Ginza Six last weekend and was glad to try the pen. I had been curious how the writing experience would be like after seeing it in magazine previously.
It writes smoothly but really wet and makes the stroke quite wide. I tried to ask for fine nib to try but she indicated she just had medium nib. So it’s not a pen for me. 

#8 Joe124013

Joe124013

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 November 2019 - 06:59

I wonder if they've improved from this review:

https://estilofilos....and-maki-e.html

I remember hearing about them but according to that the actual writing experience was really bad (not even mentioning the price). The idea definitely seems interesting but I'm wondering if it doesn't need some iteration. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fountain pen, kemma

Sponsored Content

|