The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

What Is Considered A Good Price For A Lightly Used Mb 144

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Sherlock221

Sherlock221

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 16:43

I'm thinking of dipping my toe into the world of Montblanc and I was wondering if anyone had any good tips regarding a first purchase? I have looked and a 1990's 144 looks like the most affordable entry point

for me at the moment. I used to collect mainly 1930's to 1950's Fountain pens, so Iater used  pens are generally new to me. I was wondering what can be considered a "good" price for a lightly used 144 on the UK market.

Thanks for any input...

Sponsored Content

#2 Old Salt

Old Salt

Old Salt

• Premium - Emerald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 November 2019 - 18:39

144’s known in olden days as the classique, are great pens, but they are small.  If you have large hands, might be a problem for you.  

Before you buy one, look carefully at the gold ring on the section, right above the nib.  Many are corroded and nasty.  Looks aside,  that mangled metal ring will scrape up on the inner cap, weaken it and then you are in for a real witch hunt finding the right parts.  This was always a flaw in the 144, which is why the 145 with its threaded cap stepped in as the new classique.

If you find one with an undamaged gold ring, you could pay anywhere from $175 to $300.  You have to keep a keen eye out at the auctions.   

For some reason, the more rare red ones, seem to be selling for lower prices than the black.  

You might also look at the 145 Classique / Chopin.  These are also C/C fillers, built like a tank.

#3 Sherlock221

Sherlock221

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 11:05

144’s known in olden days as the classique, are great pens, but they are small.  If you have large hands, might be a problem for you.  

Before you buy one, look carefully at the gold ring on the section, right above the nib.  Many are corroded and nasty.  Looks aside,  that mangled metal ring will scrape up on the inner cap, weaken it and then you are in for a real witch hunt finding the right parts.  This was always a flaw in the 144, which is why the 145 with its threaded cap stepped in as the new classique.

If you find one with an undamaged gold ring, you could pay anywhere from $175 to $300.  You have to keep a keen eye out at the auctions.   

For some reason, the more rare red ones, seem to be selling for lower prices than the black.  

You might also look at the 145 Classique / Chopin.  These are also C/C fillers, built like a tank.

Thanks for your help Old Salt. I will keep these points in mind when viewing any potential purchases. Thanks again for your help,

#4 da vinci

da vinci

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,902 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 18:30

I really like the 144/145/Classique range nice pens, and I have many of them (I did a post but I think those bar stewards at Photobucket blocked the photos because I refuse to pay their outrageous price and they won't allow me to bulk download my photos - sorry a rant for another post!).

I think they are good place to start with the MB brand. Sensible used prices, and a vast range of nib sizes, finishes etc to choose from as taste and budget allows.

I have models ranging from solid platinum and the Meissen porcelain annual editions through to the sterling silver, dose and more recent solitaire models. My current favourite is the UNICEF due solitaire.

The 144 is a great pen, but is fairly small and slender. The Classique/145's have a little more girth about them.

What started my MB journey was purchasing a 144 with a monotone BB nib from another forum. A fairly firm-ish nib with amazing stub like qualities, but not too broad. the newer 145 BB's run much wider.

I recommend attending a UK pen show to get one if you can there are good deals to be had for cash and you can hopefully dip test too. I think patience will reward you with a pen in good shape for less than the GBP equivalent of $175. These pens seem to be faked quite often so be careful. Go with trusted sellers and do some research.

Good hunting!!

#5 Sherlock221

Sherlock221

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 19:11

Thanks for your help Da Vinci. I must admit that I often read that they are a bit small for large hands, but like you say it would make sense to try and purchase one in person.

#6 jslallar

jslallar

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 November 2019 - 20:58

• great pen - my cover pic is a 144, since sold (too small for my hands)
  • probably the most frequently copied - so beware of the fakes. some are so good that they can deceive even the experts on a cursory glance
  • but form a trusted seller or pen show  - the down side is the experienced seller would know the worth of the pen and you are not likely to get a deal out of it.
  • you can get a good MB 121 nearly for the same price ($175 - 250) - you may want to look into that option too

Enjoy your pens
Have a nice day
Junaid

Sponsored Content

|