The Best Montblanc Pens Are From The Meisterstuck Collection

Pro-forma

More accurately, the later version the pen is from, the better it performs for 1 simple reason:

It has been on the market for the longest period of time and re-developed many times.

As we all know, the Meisterstuck collection has been updated for many times. Those updates were based on the advance of technology and the customer feedbacks. A lot resources (very valuable resources, indeed) have been put into the re-development of the Meisterstuck collection. On the other hand, the limited edition, writers edition as well as other one-time issues which have not been reviewed and updated. Therefore, it is natural to consider that the best pens MontBlanc offers are from the Meisterstuck collection.

Also, it would be logical to say that pens that are published at a later date are of higher quality.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DrDebG

• Pro-forma

• arcfide

• Tom Kellie

As we all know, the Meisterstuck collection has been updated for many times. Those updates were based on the advance of technology and the customer feedbacks. A lot resources (very valuable resources, indeed) have been put into the re-development of the Meisterstuck collection. On the other hand, the limited edition, writers edition as well as other one-time issues which have not been reviewed and updated. Therefore, it is natural to consider that the best pens MontBlanc offers are from the Meisterstuck collection.

Also, it would be logical to say that pens that are published at a later date are of higher quality.

~ Pro-forma:

Thank you for expressing your views about Montblanc fountain pen quality.

Were there any specific examples of Limited Edition pens or Writers Edition pens which seemed to require improvement?

Tom K.

I'm not sure where to start with this post. But here goes.

First, are you trying to start an argument? In aid of what?

Second, what's all this based on? Did something happen that prompted it? Do you have any evidence or insight to share?

Third, the various LEs are pretty much all based on the Meisterstuck 146 or 149, in terms of nib, feed, piston etc.

More broadly, I wonder whether your argument is sound, for lots of reasons:

* Manufacturers are actually disinclined to make changes to live products, because it adds cost and complexity, eg in changing tooling, keeping spares. Montblanc isn't going to continually update its products just to make your life better.

* Many in-life changes are made to streamline manufacturing or reduce costs, eg changing materials (Visconti palladium to gold nibs), not to improve quality.

* Often wholly new products enable massive steps forward in functionality, ergonomics, robustness etc that would have been impossible with incremental minor changes only. If the 146 or 149 were poor products in the first place in some fundamental way, a tweak here or there would not make much difference.

* Later/more recent products are not always better than old ones. Increasing market competition, increasing labour costs etc may force companies to cut back on nib finishing and quality control, for example. Or now that fountain pens are a niche product, certain techniques and materials may be lost to time or prohibitively expensive. In these cases, a vintage pen may outperform a new one.

To put it more bluntly, I think your post is simplistic at best and I don't believe it reflects the realities of economics, manufacturing and R&D.

Anthony

ukfountainpens.com

~ Pro-forma:

Thank you for expressing your views about Montblanc fountain pen quality.

Were there any specific examples of Limited Edition pens or Writers Edition pens which seemed to require improvement?

Tom K.

Thank you Tom.

No, please note that the word 'best' here means 'performs best'. Although I have tried using some limited edition and writers' edition (of my friends'), I don't have enough experience to make any comment on their performances. Hearing from my friends, some of the writers' edition even out-performs Meisterstuck collection.

There is a lot more in a MontBlanc Pen, the history, the story, the design, the mechanism, the character/writer than the performance only. Therefore, the best pen is different to every MontBlanc user, especially the ones who favor a certain writer over the others. All in all, the performance is not, and probably will never be the most important criteria in a MontBlanc pen.

It's just upon learning about how long Meisterstuck collection had been on the sales rack and how much effort MontBlanc is putting into re-developing its product, this thought just popped up in my mind.

As I learn from your posts you own many different MontBlanc pens, Meisterstuck collection or otherwise, would you mind sharing your thoughts on using a pen from the Meisterstuck collection?

Dear Pro-Forma,

Have you been drinking ? If so can you send me some !

Regards,

Ian.

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

I'm not sure where to start with this post. But here goes.

First, are you trying to start an argument? In aid of what?

Second, what's all this based on? Did something happen that prompted it? Do you have any evidence or insight to share?

Third, the various LEs are pretty much all based on the Meisterstuck 146 or 149, in terms of nib, feed, piston etc.

More broadly, I wonder whether your argument is sound, for lots of reasons:

* Manufacturers are actually disinclined to make changes to live products, because it adds cost and complexity, eg in changing tooling, keeping spares. Montblanc isn't going to continually update its products just to make your life better.

* Many in-life changes are made to streamline manufacturing or reduce costs, eg changing materials (Visconti palladium to gold nibs), not to improve quality.

* Often wholly new products enable massive steps forward in functionality, ergonomics, robustness etc that would have been impossible with incremental minor changes only. If the 146 or 149 were poor products in the first place in some fundamental way, a tweak here or there would not make much difference.

* Later/more recent products are not always better than old ones. Increasing market competition, increasing labour costs etc may force companies to cut back on nib finishing and quality control, for example. Or now that fountain pens are a niche product, certain techniques and materials may be lost to time or prohibitively expensive. In these cases, a vintage pen may outperform a new one.

To put it more bluntly, I think your post is simplistic at best and I don't believe it reflects the realities of economics, manufacturing and R&D.

Thank you for your reply.

Let me first elaborate on my post.

I believe that MontBlanc values its brand reputation so much (by providing nib exchange program, testers, engraving, etc...) and having spent so much effort on re-developing its products, Montblanc should be dying to improve on its product development and the resulting product should be better than ever. As Meisterstuck collection had been available for sale for so long, it should have been through many re-development. (Although we know quality product with good design should stand the test of time but it is still acceptable to make minor changes.) In view of such, it is logical to suspect that the latest version of the Meisterstuck Collection should perform better than the vintage ones.

However, as we can see from many users' feedback, many vintage versions perform better than the modern version. This is what I have been wondering and therefore wanted to share.

Firstly, no, not an argument, it's just what I think should be the result, logically.

Secondly, although I have tried using some limited edition and writers' edition, I have not written with them long enough to provide any conclusion.

Thirdly, I agree. However, as those collections are one-time issue, they have never been improved and the design and quality have forever stayed in the issuing era. Therefore I think they should not out-perform the ever-improving Meisterstuck Collection.

Again, it was just a thought which I think should be the result in accordance with the performance of MontBlanc as a brand. Please share your thoughts.

As I learn from your posts you own many different MontBlanc pens, Meisterstuck collection or otherwise, would you mind sharing your thoughts on using a pen from the Meisterstuck collection?

~ Pro-forma:

If there's anything which comes to mind when thinking about Montblanc Meisterstück performance it's the exquisite tautness of the pens.

They bring to mind well-maintained rigging on sailing craft, with each element carefully adjusted for optimal long-term performance.

In Homer's Odyssey there's an epic scene wherein the disguised Odysseus picks up his old bow, strings it, which his wife's suitors have failed to do, and plucks it.

The taut bowstring is described as having a sound ‘like the twittering of a swallow’. So it is with a well-crafted Montblanc Meisterstück. All of the elements work together in sweetest harmony.

Tom K.

Thank you for your reply.

Let me first elaborate on my post.

I believe that MontBlanc values its brand reputation so much (by providing nib exchange program, testers, engraving, etc...) and having spent so much effort on re-developing its products, Montblanc should be dying to improve on its product development and the resulting product should be better than ever. As Meisterstuck collection had been available for sale for so long, it should have been through many re-development. (Although we know quality product with good design should stand the test of time but it is still acceptable to make minor changes.) In view of such, it is logical to suspect that the latest version of the Meisterstuck Collection should perform better than the vintage ones.

However, as we can see from many users' feedback, many vintage versions perform better than the modern version. This is what I have been wondering and therefore wanted to share.

Firstly, no, not an argument, it's just what I think should be the result, logically.

Secondly, although I have tried using some limited edition and writers' edition, I have not written with them long enough to provide any conclusion.

Thirdly, I agree. However, as those collections are one-time issue, they have never been improved and the design and quality have forever stayed in the issuing era. Therefore I think they should not out-perform the ever-improving Meisterstuck Collection.

Again, it was just a thought which I think should be the result in accordance with the performance of MontBlanc as a brand. Please share your thoughts.

Yeah, where to start.

• As was stated earlier the writers additions begin with the Meisterstuck baselines (146/149 ) with various cosmetic changes made to reflect the theme of the edition.
  • I am not sure what changes you want there to have been incorporated in the these pens.
  • I have a number of vintage pens as well as a moderate number of writers editions and other special edition pens. My favorite is the Agatha Christie, it has the normal wonderful mechanical aspects of a Montblanc with a weight and aesthetic value that I love.
  • To assume that something must be the best simply because the name has been applied for the longest period is false. Yes advances will be made as will value changes (movement from Ebonite feeds to Plastic ones), newer does not make it better.
  • The Meisterstuck lines endure because they possess an enduring allure to the buying public.
  • One off models can often surpass the long running lines as they do not have to stay the course and can incorporate features not consistent with the visually enduring characteristics of the 146/149.

Yes I own 4 149s and 5 146s and they do get used, but none of them is among my favorite Montblancs :D

I think he makes a fair point... is the new BMW X5 superior to the first generation from 2001... certainly is.

However, as many pointed out the nib/feed/piston etc on the LEs now are basically the same newer designs, so yes I would say from all their experience they make really awesome pens. But the old pens were really a cut above too. I have many MB pens that sit for months and just start write up no problem when i use them. Cheaper and some other expensive name brand pens, dry out. As for the NIB, whenther its MB or Pelikan, etc sometimes they need to be adjusted by a NIBmeister out of the box, this is just the way it is and I accept that. I do not attribute that to the quality of the pen.

The Best Montblanc Pens Are....

On the contrary, the best is my favorite. Full stop. Now where do we go from here?

• 2 weeks later...

More accurately, the later version the pen is from, the better it performs for 1 simple reason:

It has been on the market for the longest period of time and re-developed many times.

Of course, you are entitled to your opinions, but regarding the Meisterstück line and your "the later version the pen is from, the better it performs", I'll tell you that I'll give you my 136 or my 144 & 146 from the fifties when you pry them from my cold, dead hands.

As I read this post, I find myself shaking my head back and forth, up and down and laughing out loud at some of the replies. I haven't enjoyed a post so much in a long time.

Pro-forma - thank you for expressing your opinion. I understand your love of Montblanc's Meisterstuck fountain pens. I certainly love mine. But I am certain that Montblanc uses the same exacting standards on its other pens including the Writer's Editions and Limited Editions, even though they may only produce a certain number of them. It truth, I think if we had the opportunity to own such lovelies, we would say that they are outstanding. (I do not own, nor have I tried, one of the WE or LEs . . . yet).

eciton: I don't think Pro-forma is trying to start an argument merely state his strong affection for his Meisterstuck's. But I really appreciated some of your great comments.

Pen Nut: :lticaptd: :lticaptd: :lticaptd: :lticaptd:

Tom Kellie: Your kindness and tact is amazing. You should be a negotiator.

Edited by 5Cavaliers

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

As FredRidr says...

and as the ancient Greeks would inquire...

Define "Best" first.

Best is different for each one. I've had a Meisterstuck for at least as long as a Slimline or Noblesse, and I have been using the latter infinitely more than the Meisterstuck. Where a plastic (or precious resin if you want) would shatter if sat upon, an all-metal pen would resist. I have an old 344G that beats my modern Meisterstuck on nib quality, and a Garant Alkor that beats any of them on flexibility. I always wear now a super-cheap clone of the Kaweco Brass Sport (no brand, no model) in a pocket because it is sturdy, metal, small, resistant and, most of all so cheap I do not care if it is lost. My father and grandfather pens are unbeatable for sentimental value. And the best writer, or the one I most like is an old Salz Bros eyedropper that was second-tier in its time a hundred years ago...

So, which is best? Certainly, I have many pens that beat a modern Meisterstuck. Maybe you should define best before we can start to talk.

As for time... take some. And you'll discover -as most of us have- that corporate greed has nothing to do with quality and that not always does quality or performance drive progress, but often to the contrary. Evolution... yes. But when you no longer sell pens, but simply luxury jewelry in the shape of a pen, you also know that functionality is not your source of income, perception of luxury is.

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.

~ Pro-forma:

If there's anything which comes to mind when thinking about Montblanc Meisterstück performance it's the exquisite tautness of the pens.

They bring to mind well-maintained rigging on sailing craft, with each element carefully adjusted for optimal long-term performance.

In Homer's Odyssey there's an epic scene wherein the disguised Odysseus picks up his old bow, strings it, which his wife's suitors have failed to do, and plucks it.

The taut bowstring is described as having a sound ‘like the twittering of a swallow’. So it is with a well-crafted Montblanc Meisterstück. All of the elements work together in sweetest harmony.

Tom K.

That's a beaufitul description. Coming from you, it reflects how sophisticated you are.

I have the same feeling, but not only towards the meisterstuck collection but to almost every MontBlanc Fountain Pen.

This was what triggered me in the first place.

Yeah, where to start.

• As was stated earlier the writers additions begin with the Meisterstuck baselines (146/149 ) with various cosmetic changes made to reflect the theme of the edition.
  • I am not sure what changes you want there to have been incorporated in the these pens.
  • I have a number of vintage pens as well as a moderate number of writers editions and other special edition pens. My favorite is the Agatha Christie, it has the normal wonderful mechanical aspects of a Montblanc with a weight and aesthetic value that I love.
  • To assume that something must be the best simply because the name has been applied for the longest period is false. Yes advances will be made as will value changes (movement from Ebonite feeds to Plastic ones), newer does not make it better.
  • The Meisterstuck lines endure because they possess an enduring allure to the buying public.
  • One off models can often surpass the long running lines as they do not have to stay the course and can incorporate features not consistent with the visually enduring characteristics of the 146/149.

Yes I own 4 149s and 5 146s and they do get used, but none of them is among my favorite Montblancs :D

'newer does not make it better'.

This was the discussion I have in my mind: why would not newer make it better?

With the advance in technology, change in consumer taste, feedback collected from users and collectors, newer product should have been better or else it would have been elimiated from the market.

As FredRidr says...

and as the ancient Greeks would inquire...

Define "Best" first.

Best is different for each one. I've had a Meisterstuck for at least as long as a Slimline or Noblesse, and I have been using the latter infinitely more than the Meisterstuck. Where a plastic (or precious resin if you want) would shatter if sat upon, an all-metal pen would resist. I have an old 344G that beats my modern Meisterstuck on nib quality, and a Garant Alkor that beats any of them on flexibility. I always wear now a super-cheap clone of the Kaweco Brass Sport (no brand, no model) in a pocket because it is sturdy, metal, small, resistant and, most of all so cheap I do not care if it is lost. My father and grandfather pens are unbeatable for sentimental value. And the best writer, or the one I most like is an old Salz Bros eyedropper that was second-tier in its time a hundred years ago...

So, which is best? Certainly, I have many pens that beat a modern Meisterstuck. Maybe you should define best before we can start to talk.

As for time... take some. And you'll discover -as most of us have- that corporate greed has nothing to do with quality and that not always does quality or performance drive progress, but often to the contrary. Evolution... yes. But when you no longer sell pens, but simply luxury jewelry in the shape of a pen, you also know that functionality is not your source of income, perception of luxury is.

In here, the best means the one which performs the best. However, as the writing habit of different person is different, the best tool for different person should be different as well.

Totally agree with the last part of your comment. MontBlanc pen no longer positions itself as a fountain pen company anymore. Instead, it positions itself more as a lifestyle company. Therefore, the performance of the pen is not as important as it was in the past and instead, the brand imagery became the most important product MontBlanc sells.

For a company that values its brand so much, it cannot afford to have a reputation of producing sub-standard product. This is why I think MontBlanc should have dedicated a lot of resources to improving its pen regarding its appearence, performance, etc.... Hence, the topic.

As I read this post, I find myself shaking my head back and forth, up and down and laughing out loud at some of the replies. I haven't enjoyed a post so much in a long time.

Pro-forma - thank you for expressing your opinion. I understand your love of Montblanc's Meisterstuck fountain pens. I certainly love mine. But I am certain that Montblanc uses the same exacting standards on its other pens including the Writer's Editions and Limited Editions, even though they may only produce a certain number of them. It truth, I think if we had the opportunity to own such lovelies, we would say that they are outstanding. (I do not own, nor have I tried, one of the WE or LEs . . . yet).

eciton: I don't think Pro-forma is trying to start an argument merely state his strong affection for his Meisterstuck's. But I really appreciated some of your great comments.

Pen Nut: :lticaptd: :lticaptd: :lticaptd: :lticaptd:

Tom Kellie: Your kindness and tact is amazing. You should be a negotiator.

Thank you for your comment:

I don't particulary love the Meisterstuck collection. In fact, I like my Blue Hour LeGrand and my 1912 more than my 149 in terms of both appearance as well as the design concept (also 1912 for its amazing mechanism). However, I agree that 149 processes a very iconic and definitive background story.

This topic was just one of my wonder about MontBlanc's operation strategy

For a company that values its brand so much, it cannot afford to have a reputation of producing sub-standard product. This is why I think MontBlanc should have dedicated a lot of resources to improving its pen regarding its appearence, performance, etc.... Hence, the topic.

Montblanc fountain pens are not "substandard", it's just they are not the best "fountainpenly" feeling you can get for your money (I reckon my modern 146 fountain pen as "the best ballpen you can buy"). And it's simply because that's not what the company is interested in.

Despite all their nib exchange, customizations, etc. (which add to the "user experience", not necessarily to their pens' writing ability) a peculiar fact stands. That's what Montblanc website has to say right now about their most iconic model, Meisterstuck 149:

1. To start with, their web "header" says: "Luxury Pens, Watches, Leather Accesories, Eyewear - Montblanc US" so you see, first word is "Luxury" and "Pens" is just an item among others. But then, about the 149 model...

2. "Meisterstück Gold-Coated 149 Fountain Pen" (see? the first thing they want to highrise is "gold-coated":

Description: "The Meisterstück 149 - a design that writes history. Deep black precious resin with gold-coated details, surmounted by the white star emblem and finished with a handcrafted Au 750 gold nib, evolves into Montblanc’s design icon."

Details:

Features

Clip

Gold-coated clip with individual serial number

Barrel

Black precious resin

Cap

Black precious resin inlaid with Montblanc emblem

NIB

Handcrafted Au 750 / 18 K gold nib with rhodium-coated inlay

Writing System

Refills

TYPE

Fountain Pen

NIB

Handcrafted Au 750 / 18 K gold nib with rhodium-coated inlay

Montblanc Ink

Oyster Gray, Toffee Brown, Mystery Black, Royal blue, Lavender Purple, Burgundy Red, Irish Green, Permanent Black, Permanent Blue, Midnight Blue, Corn Poppy Red, Dark saffron, Psychedelic purple, Pourpre, Violet de Cobalt, Azure, Emerald Green, Orange, Gray, Blue, Red, Yellow, Plume, Light Brown, Dark Gray, Dark Orange, Bright Green, Pink, Brown, Burgundy Red, Modena Red, Cool Gray, Manganese Orange, Petrol Blue, Maya Blue, Chinese Blue, Egyptian Blue, Lapis Lazuli, Ultramarine, Khaki, Blue, Black, Yellow Gold, Yellow, Yellow, Cigar Scent, Blue, Turquoise, Amethyst Purple, Pop Pink, Pop Pink

Refill type

Meisterstück

Features

Weight (G)

About:

ELEGANT WRITING INSTRUMENTS FROM MONTBLANC

Writing instruments from Montblanc stand out through their unmistakable elegance and exquisite workmanship. They accompany their owner for life. Over the course of its history, the characteristic Montblanc pen has become a timeless classic. The unmistakable Montblanc emblem decorates the cap of each writing instrument.

Delivery & Returns

FAST SHIPPING & DELIVERY

Montblanc customers get fast and reliable shipping on all orders. Standard delivery is free of charge for all orders above $ 50. Express delivery charge is $ 50 for all orders up to $ 2999 and is free of charge for orders above $ 3000.

FREE RETURNS

All orders, excluding refills, which have been purchased on Montblanc.com or through our Concierge team, may be returned for free to the Montblanc Online Shop Distribution center using our pre-paid label and return form. Learn more about our easy return policy

So, you see, among all that quite extensive wording, the only things Montblanc feels in need to be said about its most prominent fountain pen with regards to its writing abilitites is that it is in fact a fountain pen, that uses the "Meisterstück" refilling type (whatever that means), and that it weights 32 g. That's all.

Oh! and why a Meistertück stands out? Will it be for a century of engineering into fountain pens? Will it be because their utmost dedication to produce the best writing tools that money can buy?... No, they "...stand out through their unmistakable elegance and exquisite workmanship", things you associate to jewlery, not practical tools.

I find it enlightlining.

Edited by jmnav

Which is exactly why I asked for the definition of "best".

From a commercial standpoint, "best" is that item which costing less to produce results in the highest returns possible. That does not imply any quality, only cheap production and high selling price. How do you get away with that?

One way could be by finding a way to produce cheaply (manufacturing improvement) something others produce at higher cost and sell it at the same price (your margin increases), no quality enhancement needed, you may even decrease quality if your price is slightly smaller than that of the competence (e.g. mass-production vs. handcrafted).

Another one might be to devise a new technology that performs better and selling it at a higher price, but then you sell less, and your benefit may not compensate or take a long time to vanquish (e.g. LED vs light bulbs) or even fail (VHS vs Betamax vs V2000, or Blueray vs HD-DVD).

Another one might be to take a cheap product and push it aggressively through marketing touting it as the next best thing after sliced bread (e.g. any TV-shop tele-commercial).

Or you may try to combine all of them. But the crucial point is this: once you have conquered an uncontested vantage point, you do not want to invest any more in quality unless there is a competence eating your slice of the cake, for that investment in R+D will not result in additional sales and will detract from your income line.

With the Meisterstück, MB has reached a point where it can get away with selling a product developed almost a century ago, in materials developed 80 years ago, with a writing technology (nib) developed 40 years ago, and simply sell it because of the empowerment image associated. All it needs is to keep the price high enough that only a few can buy it, so it maintains its status as icon of the wealthy and powerful. If it is expensive and clearly identifiable, every buyer will think others will believe that its owner is one of the "chosen elite of wealthy aristocrazy" (z intended). Why invest in anything new?

There is a problem with that approach: once all those who can buy an MB have done, you don't sell any more. So, you can try and develop something new to call them back for a new purchase. Most customers are only buying the illusion of belonging (or seeming to belong) to the "chosen elite of wealthy aristocrazy", and following the perception of a "chosen elite of wealthy aristocrazy" icon, will be satisfied with new releases that stand out in "design" (all the LEs). You just produce new jewelry for their egos.

Some customers will actually be, indeed, "chosen elite of wealthy aristocracy" (no z) by their own merits, or will actually not give a dime what others think of them, and will just buy anything they fancy, and some MB can also be a nice icon of "unpretentious, elegant and functional" design. Keeping the plain line of Mesisterstücks alive may be enough to get them. But how do you get these people back?

I guess MB has been making itself this question for two decades, and that is why they decided (and I must commend them here, for they have been the first) to listen to geeks, and produce the recent "Calligraphy" nib line. Granted, it is expensive, but so must be the number of hours that a dedicated expert nibmeister must devote to produce one.

So, finally, in the end, I think that this time, with the new Calligraphy line, MB has really improved its product... to bring it back to where it was 50-60 years ago, mind you! but it is the best of its kind in modern offer. Granted. But don't tell me that all the baroquely decorated LEs add any amazing new writing improvement other than their combination with (arguably) more or less beautifully decorated jewelry shells.

And that is only talking about the commercial point of view.

Note: I'm not bashing MB. I love my MBs. I agree they are good, at a minimum as good as an equally priced Pelikan or any other in their price tag. I just cannot think of many "major improvements" they have added to their products in the late years.

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.