• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Carrau

• sansenri

• Honeybadgers

• A Smug Dill

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

then, probably out of budget, but I need to remind you about the Aurora 100 Rose Gold

(cannot hide I'm tempted by this one...)

I don't know whether parallel lines carved into the barrel lengthwise, such as on the Aurora 88 (rose gold) Cento Italia above and the Lamy cp1 Platinum count as guillioche.

The Aurora 88 Cento Italia is one of two "premium" fountain pens that I ever returned to an overseas retailer for refund within four weeks on account of the units I received were outright defective, and the products themselves were underwhelming "in the flesh" for a fan of the brands like myself, that I declined the option to exchange. (The other was a Platinum 'Shikkoku Anei taketoraou-zu' fountain pen, which had defective plating on the clip.)

That said, I haven't been completely turned off the brand, and just ordered an Aurora 88 Black Mamba for the guilloche.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Fluting is not a pattern of guilloche AFAIK.

I've been lucky with my aurora products as being phenomenal, but I've had luck similar to Gil regarding montegrappa. I'm never purhasing another of their products when Kenro charges $35 to service their own defective junk when it's only a week old.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

The Cross 125 Peerless also has some model with guilloche pattern and their Sailor made nibs are also a great addition.

Alfredo

was your problem with the Aurora 100 with the finish or the nib, ASD?

The out-of-the-box defect was in the Italic nib, which was over-polished, and the tip of the tines did not form a straight edge but looked like a pair of eyebrows. It would just stop writing (sometimes mid-stroke) every few strokes. I found it unforgivable that Aurora would allow one of its 100th Anniversary commemorative limited edition of its flagship model to be fitted with such a nib; but then it was the second time this year Aurora has done that "to me", in that the Ipsilon Cento Italia I got also arrived with a defective (read: permanently discoloured in a way that is consistent with nib creep, and so it was obviously old and used) nib fitted.

However, the fact was that I didn't like the feel and finish of the Aurora 88 Cento Italia at all. It felt somewhat flimsy in the hand, in a way that no other Aurora pen that I have does. For comparison, I have several aurolide models, and an 88 Sigaro Blu, an 88 Minerali demonstrator, a Talentum 'Full Black' matt resin, an Alpha, and a Ipsilon Quadra Cento Italia; of those, I like the 88 Minerali least because of its clear plastic (or 'resin') demonstrator body which I always think of as cheap as opposed to a premium feature, but the 88 Cento Italia felt... even worse than that. It wasn't just the weight (aurolide is lightweight), the polished look and feel (the 88 Sigaro Blu is finished with smooth lacquer, and the Alpha is also glossy), or having a metal finish (the Ipsilon Cento Italia has a metal body not finished in lacquer). Put together, that thing just didn't work for me.

By the way, the Ipsilon Quadra has a shallow sunk-relief square grid pattern, and I see some retailers call that guilloche as well.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

The Cross 125 Peerless also has some model with guilloche pattern and their Sailor made nibs are also a great addition.

Alfredo

there's also the townsend, which can be had with a lovely barleycorn finish on the platinum model.

Looooove my townsend.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Yard-o-Led Retro or silver with the barleycorn pattern? Might not come in under your budget but used finds are out there and they are beautiful pens.

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

The out-of-the-box defect was in the Italic nib, which was over-polished, and the tip of the tines did not form a straight edge but looked like a pair of eyebrows. It would just stop writing (sometimes mid-stroke) every few strokes. I found it unforgivable that Aurora would allow one of its 100th Anniversary commemorative limited edition of its flagship model to be fitted with such a nib; but then it was the second time this year Aurora has done that "to me", in that the Ipsilon Cento Italia I got also arrived with a defective (read: permanently discoloured in a way that is consistent with nib creep, and so it was obviously old and used) nib fitted.

However, the fact was that I didn't like the feel and finish of the Aurora 88 Cento Italia at all. It felt somewhat flimsy in the hand, in a way that no other Aurora pen that I have does. For comparison, I have several aurolide models, and an 88 Sigaro Blu, an 88 Minerali demonstrator, a Talentum 'Full Black' matt resin, an Alpha, and a Ipsilon Quadra Cento Italia; of those, I like the 88 Minerali least because of its clear plastic (or 'resin') demonstrator body which I always think of as cheap as opposed to a premium feature, but the 88 Cento Italia felt... even worse than that. It wasn't just the weight (aurolide is lightweight), the polished look and feel (the 88 Sigaro Blu is finished with smooth lacquer, and the Alpha is also glossy), or having a metal finish (the Ipsilon Cento Italia has a metal body not finished in lacquer). Put together, that thing just didn't work for me.

By the way, the Ipsilon Quadra has a shallow sunk-relief square grid pattern, and I see some retailers call that guilloche as well.

I see, well the issues with the nibs should not happen, who were you buying from?

I have not held a 100 in my hand so I don't know, although the look seems attractive.

I love my auroloide and also my millerighe, which is my only full metal Aurora.

I'm also very fond of my Talentums. I'm not particularly attracted by the Ipsilon but did see the quadra, I would say it's a rather spaced out guilloche...

I'm curious about the Mamba too, but I would probably prefer it were not black...

fpn_1575404973__p1080949-3_aurora_miller

Leonardo just released a Momento Zero Grande with a Guilloche pattern called the Art Deco. They are limited, 30 per color and trim so it might be hard to come by.

Leonardo just released a Momento Zero Grande with a Guilloche pattern called the Art Deco.

Not quite "just". The first of the Leonardo Momento Zero (not Grande) pens with Art Deco guilloche, in orange, was a Fontoplumo exclusive released back in March. The Leonardo Momento Zero Grande versions were released nearly eight weeks ago. Both versions were outside of the O.P.'s stated price range.

I see, well the issues with the nibs should not happen, who were you buying from?

Separate retailers based in Spain and the Netherlands, respectively. Both did the right thing by me after the fact.

I'm also very fond of my Talentums. I'm not particularly attracted by the Ipsilon but did see the quadra, I would say it's a rather spaced out guilloche...

I'm curious about the Mamba too, but I would probably prefer it were not black...

Whereas I really like all-black pens, and that's why I got the Aurora Talentum 'Full Black'. My concern with black nibs in general is with unsightly permanent discolouration over time, which has already proven likely in the case of Aurora, given the example I initially received on the Ipsilon Cento Italia; and it has happened to my black ion-plated Pilot Capless 18K gold nib after several years of being my EDC filled with jet black Sailor kiwaguro pigment ink. It hasn't happened to my Sailor Professional Gear Imperial Black from early 2013, which I personally think is a better pen than the Aurora Talentum 'Full Black' in every way that counts, by the way, down to the glossier finish of Sailor's ruthenium-plated 21K gold nib. Writing-wise I don't find the black nibs to be any "worse", less functional or less pleasurable to use than simple, platinum- or rhodium-plated gold nibs in general. I love the black Aurora 18K gold EF nib on my Luna, not crazy keen on the black Aurora 14K gold Stub nib on the Talentum, and sadly the black 14K gold EF nib (actually, both the initial discoloured one and its new replacement) on the Ipsilon Cento Italia writes about two nib width grades too broad.

The 88 Black Mamba was high on my list to get once it was announced; it was just a matter of time and money until I finally bought it.

Not quite "just". The first of the Leonardo Momento Zero (not Grande) pens with Art Deco guilloche, in orange, was a Fontoplumo exclusive released back in March. The Leonardo Momento Zero Grande versions were released nearly eight weeks ago. Both versions were outside of the O.P.'s stated price range.

The Orange one looks fun, good thing i didn't know about it then. If i had seen this thread sooner he would have been in the Black Friday 20% off window for Grande, but that's life.

• 2 weeks later...

Pens with some sort of Guilloche pattern: 1. modern Onoto Magna Black Chased; 2. Montblanc 146 Doué Pinstripe; 3. Montblanc 146 Doué Barley. I had a Yard-O-Led Grand Viceroy Barley: another pen with beautiful Guilloche, well-balanced and beautiful nib too, but for me too heavy to write for long.

post-145678-0-07972900-1576683311_thumb.jpg

Pens with some sort of Guilloche pattern: 1. modern Onoto Magna Black Chased; 2. Montblanc 146 Doué Pinstripe; 3. Montblanc 146 Doué Barley. I had a Yard-O-Led Grand Viceroy Barley: another pen with beautiful Guilloche, well-balanced and beautiful nib too, but for me too heavy to write for long.

Thank you for posting these-the Onoto has an especially attractive pattern.

It's a little "fancier" than the normal black and gold version. Depending on silver patina, it can look quite different, sometimes like an heirloom piece, other times still quite modern when the silver is polished.

Actually now that I remember, there was this other Guilloche pattern pen that I found quite attractive: the Omas Paragon Arte Italiana Art Deco Guilloche in "pearl grey" resin (not the pearl grey celluloid). Unfortunately I don't have it any more.

I'm admiring your Doué Barley, Como...

it's a 146 but does look like a different pen!

Thank you for posting these-the Onoto has an especially attractive pattern.

post-145678-0-07501900-1576787364.jpeg