The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Advice On Starting A Pen-Pal Group?

pen pal steampunk pen-pal

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ASCIIaardvark

ASCIIaardvark

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 November 2019 - 21:24

I think snail-mail would suit the Steampunk community - the chance to use fountain or dip pens, wax seals, gold leaf, etc.

My experience with reddit.com/r/FountainPenPals was a lack of connection -- I had fun with it, but rarely did the correspondence continue beyond the first letter from each match.

Any advice for starting a new pen-pal matching service?

I'm thinking:

• limit of 2 pen-pals at a time 'till you've participated in a previous round of matching & nobody complained you flaked on mailing them
  • offer InCharacter (writing as your steampunk persona) or OutOfCharacter (writing as yourself) options:
    • Prompt for IC: "The Great Alliance is signed, your government calls on you to write these foreigners & get to know our new allies to strengthen the bonds among our nations"
    • Prompt for OOC: you see your pen pal's answers from sign-up process questions, like "what's your favorite part of steampunk?" or "how do you participate in steampunk?"

Figured I'd use Google Forms to get everyone's address, email, one-off/continuing-correspondence preference, IC/OOC preference, & answers to any prompt questions -- leave that open for ~10 days, then email everyone their match(es).

I'll post the announcement on a few steampunk & pen pal forums like BrassGoggles, reddit's r/steampunk and r/penpals, the local steampunk Facebook, etc.

If it goes well, run a new round of match-ups every month or two.

...thoughts?

Sponsored Content

#2 sharonspens

sharonspens

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,856 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 November 2019 - 04:47

What you are describing is similar to the Letter Writers Alliance approach, if I recall it correctly. That group is now defunct, but you might be able to find their webpage still available. I think the letter approach you describe otherwise makes sense.

I run three round robin journals; a shared journal is another way to go at this. I like the prompt idea, and can definitely see that working in a journal format. My groups are small - four or five members - and the rules of engagement are pretty clear so we can keep the journal moving.  

Sharon in Indiana

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pen pal, steampunk, pen-pal

Sponsored Content

|