The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Pelikan Ibis Ink View Window Crack Repair Suggestions

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Geegeee

Geegeee

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 November 2019 - 19:00

I have an otherwise nice Pelikan IBIS with a great nib, but it has a crack in the see through ink window of the barrel.
I reckon I have nothing to lose by trying to repair it... What solvent would be suggested to seal the crack? I was planning to repair it from the outside, but it might make as much sense to try from the inside and just take care not to advance the piston beyond the repair?

Sponsored Content

#2 Addertooth

Addertooth

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 November 2019 - 19:01

A picture of the pen, and a zoom picture on the crack would help others give their best possible advice.

#3 LukeSkyliner

LukeSkyliner

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 November 2019 - 14:46

Agree with Addertooth - if this is a tiny hairline crack, I'd recommend Captain Tolley's.  Amazon has it.

#4 Geegeee

Geegeee

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 November 2019 - 20:31

Pictures as requested. 

There are two parallel hairline cracks (only the longest one is visible in the photos, it was hard to get a good picture of the other one) and another v-shaped crack with some dirt/ink in it. 

I just want to stabilise the cracks no more, so any tips on what solvent to use and how to best approach the repair are gratefully received.

It needs a new piston seal as well, I was going to use an o-ring, I don't think the right seal are available any more?

Attached Images

• crack3.jpg
  • pen.jpg
  • pen2.jpg

#5 carlos.q

carlos.q

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 November 2019 - 21:43

I have a Pelikan 100N with a similar hairline. As it doesn't leak I haven't tried to repair it but I'm open to suggestions.

#6 LukeSkyliner

LukeSkyliner

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 November 2019 - 17:59

I would certainly try Cap'n Tolley's on these.  My experience has been that if the crack is too small to permit the Creeping Crack Cure in, then it's too small to allow ink out.

#7 eckiethump

eckiethump

Jack's the lad

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,866 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 14:49

Agree with Addertooth - if this is a tiny hairline crack, I'd recommend Captain Tolley's.  Amazon has it.

I would certainly try Cap'n Tolley's on these.  My experience has been that if the crack is too small to permit the Creeping Crack Cure in, then it's too small to allow ink out.

Exactly what I was going to suggest before seeing these posts. Pretty sure David Nishimura (Vintagepens), has seals for these ? If not "O" ring will do the trick, careful not to use one you have too force in.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge (Charles Darwin)

http://www.wesonline.org.uk/

#8 Geegeee

Geegeee

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 November 2019 - 20:59

Thanks for the suggestions, but would it be better to use a solvent to seal the cracks? That way the repair should be less obvious, seeing as no additional material will be added? I have methylene chloride, mek and acetone, but am not sure which is the most appropriate for this pen.

Will try o-rings first and if unsuccessful will try to source a replacement seal. custompenparts.co.uk appear to have one that should work? https://www.custompe...o.uk/11-pelikan

Edited by Geegeee, 16 November 2019 - 20:59.

#9 praxim

praxim

On twig

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,594 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 November 2019 - 22:03

Thanks for the suggestions, but would it be better to use a solvent to seal the cracks? That way the repair should be less obvious, seeing as no additional material will be added? 

CTCC seeps into and fills the crack. It is not a thick layer such as epoxy. Solvents dissolve, remove material, which is why you normally use them in a slurry containing new celluloid (or whatever) material.

Anyone owning three or more working pens is in no position to disparage choices by others.

Sponsored Content

|