Anyone Else Primarily Writes In All Caps?

Kasyll

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kasyll

• Erik Dalton

• sansenri

• DrDebG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

After 45+ years as an architect lettering notes on drawings in capitals I now write mostly in caps especially when preparing hand written reports or making notes in meetings.

I have found that my lettering follows the nib in the pen I am using and that no particular nib works best so long as the nib is reasonably wet and smooth.

Different nibs give a different appearance to the work but, if as they are all legible, who cares.

It's the variety of life using a fountain pen.

Only when printing.

I prefer finer nibs (F & XF) but find that I actually write better with medium.

Edited by Biber

"What? What's that? WHAT?!!! SPEAK UP, I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!" - Ludwig van Beethoven.

Different nibs give a different appearance to the work but, if as they are all legible, who cares.

True in that regards as long as it's legible what does it matter.. who cares.. etc..

The question was, what your preferences are. Surely everyone has a preference for a specific pen/nib or heck even a "favorite".

Yes, I print using only capital letters. Maybe a throwback to college engineering and drafting education. My favorite nib/pen combination is one of my Parker 51 vacumatics with a fine or medium nib. I have adjusted most of my pens for a moderate ink flow - about a 6-7 out of 10 on a scale of dry to wet. I use dip pens a lot at home and for those pens I prefer a Nikko "G" nib in an oblique pen holder.

A consumer and purveyor of words.

Co-editor and writer for Faith On Every Corner Magazine

Magazine - http://www.faithoneverycorner.com/magazine.html

I was taught handwriting improvement by a disgruntled co-worker who had gone to school for drafting & electrical engineering. Three decades later, I still print in all caps (and our printing is still nearly indistinguishable!). If I'm doing this with one of my fp's, it's a .6mm stub italic.

Lux in Obscuro Sumus

I was taught handwriting improvement by a disgruntled co-worker who had gone to school for drafting & electrical engineering. Three decades later, I still print in all caps (and our printing is still nearly indistinguishable!). If I'm doing this with one of my fp's, it's a .6mm stub italic.

Stubs/italics are definitely a nice cheat to make printing in caps a lil less chicken scratch! =)

No, and please be aware that some people take offense when receiving written material in all capital letters, both directly in regard to correspondences such as mail or email and indirectly in the form of reports and plans that have been written that they must reference and use. I suggest that if someone else is to read what you have written, do not capitalize every letter of every word.

No, and please be aware that some people take offense when receiving written material in all capital letters, both directly in regard to correspondences such as mail or email and indirectly in the form of reports and plans that have been written that they must reference and use. I suggest that if someone else is to read what you have written, do not capitalize every letter of every word.

So.. you are basically saying even in the world of architect/drafters writing in all caps is considered a no no and offensive.

Not trying to start a debate or anything, but the question is whether anyone writes in all caps (for any reason at all) and what their preferred nib sizes are. We aren't talking about writing anything formal of the sorts.

If I'm using print letter forms, I do tend to differentiate by using large and small caps. As with other comments, this is partly derived from the days of filling out coding sheets in preparation of key-punching. (FORTRAN IV, COBOL 74, Sigma-6 Meta-Symbol).

I print in caps about 1/3 of the time - the rest is cursive of some sort. It depends upon my mood. When I do I prefer a wet stub usually a 1.0 or 1.1.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

Boy this was difficult. Has the app changed?

Hehehe that mix of caps printing and cursive is like trying to remember how to speak in your native language that you haven't spoken in ages and mixing in English words while trying to communicate with your parents who does not speak English. Brutal, but yep. Progress!

I also print in all caps when writing schemes, reports or making notes in meetings.

All caps helps me make clear schemes that I can refer to later.

I often do not use all the page but follow schematic lines and use bullets.

When writing all caps I tend to write larger, so both M nibs and B nibs will work well. I particularly like printing all caps with B nibs with generous flow so I can be tidy but write fast.

When writing all caps I tend to write larger, so both M nibs and B nibs will work well. I particularly like printing all caps with B nibs with generous flow so I can be tidy but write fast.

I take it cr-p (this is considered a bad word??) paper isn't an issue for you? Or do you choose specific ink to help tame the bleeding/feathering and all that mess?

Edited by Kasyll

Try an architect grind, it gives a fat horizontal and thin vertical stroke. This follows the tradition of architects using pencils or lead holders, by first sharpening the lead and then sanding an angle on the point, then rotating it so the beveled end would write a thin vertical and fatter horizontal stroke. Older drawings for decades were all done that way, at least in the US. This gives your lettering a lot more character.

My dad wrote that way, in pencil or with ball-point. It may have had to do with writing music and lyrics. I used to write that way because of a dalliance with comic books, but now I journal in cursive.

• 4 months later...

When I write I write in cursive with few exceptions. For example, I print my correspondence to a particular pen pal who is young and neither reads nor writes in cursive. When I print I capitalize where appropriate and otherwise I use small caps, not lower case. I never write in a blend of cursive and printing (printsive? cursting?) as I did when I wielded a ballpoint: now, it's all one or the other. Favorite nib size: F.

Edited by Bookman

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.