Platinum Gold Honest Fountain Pen-Converter Cartridge?

dicks390

Hello:

I recently purchase a platinum gold honest fountain pen. It is very nice looking and very old. Unfortunately, I can find no ink cartridge or converter to the nib section The current platinum cartridges or converter do not fit. Can anyone help?

See picture of nib section.post-141037-0-78063600-1572917582_thumb.jpgpost-141037-0-18974100-1572917601_thumb.jpg

Edited by dicks390

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Honeybadgers

• dicks390

• cattar

• BaronWulfraed

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've run into this problem with a few vintage c/c pens.

Twice, I've solved this by shellacing a lever-filler sac on the cartridge nipple. But haven't done this on a Platinum pen.

Here's info on Platinum's Honest 60 and 66 pens

https://estilofilos.blogspot.com/2011/07/honest-pen.html

Here's info on the Honest 60 cartridge

https://estilofilos.blogspot.com/2011/08/honest-cartridge.html

Apparently several other Japanese pen manufacturers used the Honest 60 cartridge at that time.

huh, cattar to the rescue, I'd have guessed immediately from looking at a feed nipple that big that the pen used an aerometric bar over a sac (something that was fairly common in the early post and prewar celluloid japanese pens)

I have a beat up old honest 60 with a gorgeous flex nib but it takes standard platinum cartridges

Long story short though, just shellac a sac onto that and have a nice squeeze filler or find a vintage cartridge to refill.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Thank you for your help. From the links, I understand the issue with this old pen. However, I am mechanically or visually challenged. Could either of you explain in more detail the shellacking of a sac on the the cartridge nipple and how it would work to fill the pen? I can only visualize a limp sack hanging on the end of the nipple with no way to get ink in it. Thanks again.

Thank you for your help. From the links, I understand the issue with this old pen. However, I am mechanically or visually challenged. Could either of you explain in more detail the shellacking of a sac on the the cartridge nipple and how it would work to fill the pen? I can only visualize a limp sack hanging on the end of the nipple with no way to get ink in it. Thanks again.

Quick and dirty answers:

You obtain a sac (from one of the vendors of repair parts) which is just snug on the nipple. You also obtain a small bottle of shellac from said vendor.

You cut the sac length so that, when the barrel is screwed to the section over it, it does not touch the end of the barrel insides.

Apply a bead of shellac to the outside of the clean nipple, then work the sac onto the nipple. Clean off the excess shellac.

To use: take off barrel, insert nib into bottle of ink, and squeeze the sac in your fingers. Try to squeeze the full length. Let go of sac, and it should expand on its own, sucking up ink through the feed. Screw barrel back onto section...

You'd just put a touch of shellac on the nipple, stretch a sac over it, and a touch more shellac on the outside around the seal to bond it all around.

What you'd end up with is a "squeeze bulb" converter. You'd just squeeze the sac and it'd fill the pen. It shouldn't flop around limply, a new sac is a pretty turgid little fellow.

the only "trick" is in cutting the sac to the right length, but it's not hard. But the end result is a pretty cavernous ink capacity and they're fairly easy to clean out by just squeezing it a bunch in a cup of water (way better than trying to clean a lever filler)

If you would like it done right, I'd be happy to do it for free if you just pay for return shipping. I have boatloads of sacs and not enough pens to restore, and this would take me five minutes to do.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

You'd just put a touch of shellac on the nipple, stretch a sac over it, and a touch more shellac on the outside around the seal to bond it all around.

What you'd end up with is a "squeeze bulb" converter. You'd just squeeze the sac and it'd fill the pen. It shouldn't flop around limply, a new sac is a pretty turgid little fellow.

the only "trick" is in cutting the sac to the right length, but it's not hard. But the end result is a pretty cavernous ink capacity and they're fairly easy to clean out by just squeezing it a bunch in a cup of water (way better than trying to clean a lever filler)

If you would like it done right, I'd be happy to do it for free if you just pay for return shipping. I have boatloads of sacs and not enough pens to restore, and this would take me five minutes to do.

Hey Honeybadgers-I'd like to take you up on your generous offer. Of course I would pay the return shipping. Send me an email at rsobolewski8350@outlook.com with your address and contact info. Thanks.