The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Estie J: Is This Normal?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Rewpert

Rewpert

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 02 November 2019 - 22:05

Hey All, 

I've just, with a good deal more trouble than I expected, opened up an Estie J to find this:

9KxfpYJ.jpg?2

As I hope you can make out in the photo, on the tier between the sac nipple and the gripping section proper there is an extra layer of material of some kind. It is rubbery, and looks to have been added over the base plastic of the part. Is this normal? I've only re-sacked one other Estie, and that did not have this.

The pen was a real pain to open up, you see, and I ended up cracking the lip of the barrel doing it, which I am really very cross with myself for doing.

This extra thickness on the part made the fit so tight that I just could not get it out. I'm a bit stumped on how to replace the section into the pen now too, since the section is wider than the opening in the top of the barrel, and trying to put the section back in causes the crack to prise open!

I purchased this pen second hand, and if this is not a standard part of the pen I might be inclined to put the blame for the cracked barrel this 'customisation'...and perhaps have a bit of a word with the person I purchased it from about their handiwork...

Any help greatly appreciated.

'Rew.

Edited by Rewpert, 02 November 2019 - 22:06.

Sponsored Content

#2 corgicoupe

corgicoupe

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 November 2019 - 23:04

If I understand correctly what you are saying, someone may have installed a new sac without removing the remains of the old one still on the nipple of the section.. If an old sac ossifies, it can break away from the nipple and leave part of the rubber on the nipple, especially if it was installed with shellac.

Remove the sac and scrape the nipple clean before installing the new sac.

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

#3 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

Brain freeze, mmm... got pens?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,982 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 03:00

Early section. I see nothing unusual. Likely a barrel with no tray.

Buy a replacement barrel.
San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 23-24-25, 2019 AND August 28-29-30, 2020. Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

#4 corgicoupe

corgicoupe

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,579 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 November 2019 - 13:04

Oops! I misread the original post.

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

#5 JakobS

JakobS

Far From the Madding Crowd

• Member - Gold

• 1,853 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 November 2019 - 16:38

The part of the section in between the nipple and where you place your fingers comes cut in this way to insure the section firmly stays put in the barrel, it does not look modified. Later pens, such as the SM Deluxe do not have this feature. It's easy to break barrels if not enough heat is applied and too much force is used in removing the section, slow and steady are always best...

FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!For Sale: TBA

#6 Hobiwan

Hobiwan

All I ever wanted was a nice pen to write with...

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 November 2019 - 18:50

The part of the section in between the nipple and where you place your fingers comes cut in this way to insure the section firmly stays put in the barrel, it does not look modified. 

+1

Also, when reinstalling it ... when I run into one of these, I find that you can sand it down a bit with very fine sandpaper until it goes back in, snug but not loose.  Indeed, patience is the prime virtue.

Best Regards
Paul

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
– Albert Einstein

Sponsored Content

|