The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Pfm Snorkel Not Fully Extending

sheaffer pfm

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 silverlifter

silverlifter

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 November 2019 - 03:59

I've had a PFM II for a while now and recently, say the last two fills so around a month or so, when I rotate the blind cap, the snorkel does not fully extend. It stops around halfway out.

There is sufficient snorkel protruding to gently pull it out to full extension and fill the pen. Winding it back in, it retracts fully.

The mechanism seems otherwise quite sound: no sense of tension or hesitancy when turning the blind cap in either direction, it feels quite smooth. Just for the last turn or so, the snorkel sits halfway out.

Is this indicative of imminent failure of a seal? Something else I should be concerned about?

Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

Sponsored Content

#2 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,850 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 November 2019 - 04:42

when you unscrew the snorkel, once you hit the "end" and the plunger disengages from the snorkel body inside, if you push on the blind cap, does it fully extend the snorkel? is it STIFF when you pull it out? Usually the seals get hard and the snorkel doesn't get stuck. But the snorkel may just need greasing down inside, too, though my guess would be the spring is binding if it retracts properly. Might just be a little rusty. Replacement springs are cheap and plentiful. 

If you can, try to unscrew the section (unscrew the tail first) don't try too hard, it might be sealed (if it is, send it to someone for repair) but medium pressure (not uncomfortable) should unscrew it. Take a look at the guts. It's easy to reassemble, just screw the section back on.

I'd put my money on it being a spring, and a restoration likely about $45 if you pay someone to do it (if they're in there, you may want to have them look at the seals and consider replacing them since they're dirt cheap,) or about $5-9 for a new spring if you can undo the section yourself

Edited by Honeybadgers, 02 November 2019 - 04:45.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

#3 silverlifter

silverlifter

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 November 2019 - 04:54

I've only just refilled it, so I won't be able to test it for a couple of weeks :/

It isn't stiff at all. Everything is moving reasonably smoothly, for a pen that age. I'll attempt to disassemble it in a couple of weeks when it is empty again.

Thanks for the tips!

Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sheaffer, pfm

Sponsored Content

|