• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DilettanteG

• Sailor Kenshin

• inkstainedruth

• cattar

I would like too, the novel has already been started so may not be completely faithful to the intent, but what's a few thousands words here or there really.... ;)

Edited by JakobS

FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!<span style='color: #000080'>For Sale:</span> TBA

Excellent! I'm using it to get back into a daily fiction writing habit. I've got a couple ideas that have been loitering in my head forever. I'm looking forward to moving them forward. Maybe we can help keep each other motivated?

I'm going to use a different pen and ink everyday to keep track of my daily progress. Kind of torn between using a pad of paper and a notebook for each project. (God knows I have enough blank notebooks!) And I'm going to give the Pomodoro technique a shot.

Today, Day 1: Sheaffer NOS Burgundy in my Parker 51 Burgundy With a Binderized Broad Stub

Sailor Kenshin -
Come on, break out those pens and write!

Pomodoro Technique
When you get hungry, or the pen runs out of ink, chop some tomatoes, onion, garlic and basil and stir with wine to make a sauce for pasta. Eat with greens in a salad, and fruit. Then refill the pen and get back to writing.

But really, pomodoro is a productivity technique. Set a kitchen timer, like the little tomato-shaped timer for 15-25 minutes, write during that time, then take a 5-10 minute break, repeat. Give yourself a longer break after 3-6 pomodoros.

DilettanteG
I've been reading/editing lately, not writing. Ideas have been brewing.

I'm also alternating pens/inks, every other day in a composition notebook (so the pages stay together). Since there will be cafe writing, the pens are Sailor Procolor, F nibs, with either Sailor Shigure or Miruai inks. Also have two other pens with brighter inks that may come in handy.

Today is Miruai for 1610. And I know what I'm writing tomorrow.

eta. fruit

Edited by cattar

This: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pomodoro_Technique

Lazied around all day, so must now furiously make up my word count. 300 words down, 1367 to go.

Thanks! I want one of those. (And someone to cook the other pomodoro!)

Mmmayyyybeee I'll try writing not a novel but some stories. I have way too many pens inked.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Didn't write Saturday, did Sunday with Sailor Shigure (love that ink).

Don't know if I'll make the official nano goal since I'll probably miss most Saturdays.

My goal is writing in the notebook most days - drafting short stories.

The notebook's already a mess with writing on the right-hand pages, and notes about next-day thoughts on the left-hand pages. It'll be an adventure to read through later.

Nano is good for using already inked pens, and finding out which are comfortable for longer writing. Also good for trying new inks with dip pens.

I'll be home later today, so I'll be dipping into some Pilot Iro Shin Kai for a while, then probably go back to a pen.

Edited by cattar

I tried doing it last year, only to realize that there was just way too much going on in my life at the moment. But this year? No way. Spent Friday, Saturday, and half of Sunday at the Ohio Pen Show; hit a big antiques mall Columbus on the way home, and stopped for rest stops and filling up the gas tank until I made it it into West Virginia. Then hit contruction some stretches of which of which were down to one lane on I-70. Got home by around 8:40 PM, totally exhausted....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I have no idea where to even get started . . . writing a novel that is. Making a good pomodoro sauce is the easy part. :lol:

Edited by 5Cavaliers

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

Did a face plant yesterday while doing my daily horsey chores. It looks like I managed to tear my calf muscle and am currently hobbling about. Missed writing yesterday, so I’m trying to make up for it today.

I’ve got my Cedar Blue Parker 51 inked up with Pilot Iroshizuku Syo Ro and am about to cover some Clairefontaine sheets with more of my first drafts. I’m trying to take Anne Lamont’s advice to heart as first drafts are always just the worst thing ever according to my inner critic.

Yikes! That sounds exceedingly unpleasant. And this is coming from someone who herniated a disc a few years ago and ended up having a discectomy a few months later (I now go "Oh, you too? Mine was L5 S1, what's yours?").

When I tried to do Nanowrimo last year, I was being really OCD about it: "Okay, 50000 words in 30 days, that's about 1700 words per day, and typed up with Courier 12 point, double spaced, with 1 inch margins, that's about 8 pages per day...). But November is a HORRIBLE time to try to be that disciplined. First there's the OPS. Then, the weekend before Thanksgiving, there's a weekend long SCA event that is all fiber related classes (it's held at a place with dormitory space so you can hang out all weekend schmoozing with like-minded fiber geeks at all hours). So no writing then. From there, we head to the east coast for Thanksgiving: four hours to the event, another 4 to NYC (or about 5-1/2 to Connecticut), and then another 4or 5 up to Massachusetts. Then of course driving all the way back to Pittsburgh.... Hard to write in the car (and of course impossible when driving :blush:). And this year I'm teaching a class, so I have to spend the next couple of weeks in prep for that.

I do much better in the spring with NaPoWriMo. Because I'm NOT writing 1700-word poems.... :rolleyes:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Did a face plant yesterday while doing my daily horsey chores. It looks like I managed to tear my calf muscle and am currently hobbling about. Missed writing yesterday, so I’m trying to make up for it today.

I’ve got my Cedar Blue Parker 51 inked up with Pilot Iroshizuku Syo Ro and am about to cover some Clairefontaine sheets with more of my first drafts. I’m trying to take Anne Lamont’s advice to heart as first drafts are always just the worst thing ever according to my inner critic.

Yikes. Feel better soon.

First drafts are fun!

Thanks for the sympathy guys, and sorry about your back Ruth. I'm full on channelling Tiny Tim at the moment, right down to the crutches propped forlornly in the corner. My doctor gave me the good drugs, so I've usually inked up a pen and am ready to go all Hemingway, just before I conk out for a long nap.

Looks like I'm going to have to play some serious catch up if I want to hit 50K words by December 1st. However, Mr. Dilettante has now done the dishes twice without being asked, so my faith in miracles has been restored.

Hope everyone else is being more productive.

Thanks for the sympathy guys, and sorry about your back Ruth. I'm full on channelling Tiny Tim at the moment, right down to the crutches propped forlornly in the corner. My doctor gave me the good drugs, so I've usually inked up a pen and am ready to go all Hemingway, just before I conk out for a long nap.

Looks like I'm going to have to play some serious catch up if I want to hit 50K words by December 1st. However, Mr. Dilettante has now done the dishes twice without being asked, so my faith in miracles has been restored.

Hope everyone else is being more productive.

Take care of yourself. Are you singing Tiptoe Through The Tulips? ;)

I had no idea there was a word count. If so, I fail in advance. Everyone can now feel better comparing themselves to me!

My very best wishes and crossed fingers for those of you who are taking the challenge this year! I am full of admiration for your endeavour.

I would join you, but between job hunting and trying to corral no less than two family members with rampant dementia, all I get to write are practical notes and the odd rant about the vicissitudes of life and the warm blessings of a glass of good scotch. Case in point.

- P.

My very best wishes and crossed fingers for those of you who are taking the challenge this year! I am full of admiration for your endeavour.

I would join you, but between job hunting and trying to corral no less than two family members with rampant dementia, all I get to write are practical notes and the odd rant about the vicissitudes of life and the warm blessings of a glass of good scotch. Case in point.

- P.

Thanks Arcadian, sounds like you'll have a novel's worth of experiences from your herding and noting.

My elderly mother in law is starting to have memory problems and all we can do so far is get her to outsource as much as she can to notes on her iPhone. It seems like there should be a better tech solution to these common problems. At least the Find Friends ap tells us where she is, unless she forgets said phone. Getting her microchipped isn't going to fly, but I wish I could just get her to wear a GPS and cell phone enabled watch. Maybe if I ply her with scotch first?