The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Can Anyone Identify This British Made Pen?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Inky-Republic

Inky-Republic

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 October 2019 - 11:42

A friend has asked if I could get the pen pictured below identified.

It seems to be a transition between a dip pen and fountain pen, since it has features of both, but has no ink chamber in the barrel.

It has a very fine point which is extremely springy and flexible.

In spite of being a dip pen, it will write quite a few lines with a single dip into the ink.

Underneath it has what looks to be a fountain pen feed - but it isn't.

I think this fitment is what stores enough ink to write so many lines.

It comes with a cap fitted with pocket clip and an overall business like appearance.

There are no markings of any kind on the pen - and I would say was a budget priced item at the time it was made.

The spare nib is labelled Geo W Hughes Adjustable Nib - Birmingham - but is probably a separately purchased item, since I believe the Geo W Hughes Company only manufactured nibs.

I has a spare nib container, but I am not sure if this would have originally been supplied with the pen. Also the box it came in obviously belongs to another pen, but is interesting in itself.

Attached Images

• DSCF4086-3.JPG
  • DSCF4085-3.JPG
  • DSCF4084-3.JPG

Sponsored Content

#2 northlodge

northlodge

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,352 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 October 2019 - 21:10

Interesting that you chose to list this on the UK Pen forum. 

I have seen a couple of pens that look similar to this one, but with manufacturers details on the barrel. IIRC they originate from Austria, I will see if I still have one floating around (or some old photos).

The box is interesting. Pens come up for sale from time to time that have clearly come from the Empire Exhibition 1938. This might be from this or a similar event. 

#3 peterg

peterg

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 23:02

The pen looks to be much earlier to me, say the 1924 Empire Exhibition.

The nib is an early steel nib without tipping. Unfortunately I cannot read what is on it. No guarentee that it isn't a replacement either although commemorative pens usually had a cheap steel nib in my experience.

If it is an eye dropper I would definitely put it in the 1918 - 1926 bracket.

Sponsored Content

|