Omas Om Nib

ksh

I've listed a pen for sale in classifieds, and want to make sure that I am describing the nib accurately. It dates from when Omas was making its own nibs, before they bought from Bock. It is marked OM. My researching this on-line finds references to a special left-handed nib, but it is not described as oblique. However, the nib clearly looks like an oblique, right foot shape. If someone knows how to accurately describe this, I'd appreciate the help. Thanks,

Keith

post-39405-0-95374100-1572301163_thumb.jpeg

post-39405-0-91046600-1572301174_thumb.jpeg

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sansenri

• ksh

• Vetinari

• como

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

omas, with small o on the nib should indicate Omas own nib production (the Bock produced nibs are marked Omas with a capital o).

OM in the Omas nibs is oblique, for lefties...

here is the Omas nibs info

(EF) Extra-fine 0.60 mm
(F) Fine 0.80 mm
(M) Average 1.00 mm
(B ) Large 1.20 mm
(BB) Extra-large 1.40 mm
(OM) Special left-handed nib 1.40 mm
(OMD) Right oblique (average) 1.00 mm
(OBD) Right oblique (large) 1.20 mm
(OBBD) Right oblique (extra-large) 1.40 mm

the size marking is always on the left side of the nibs

in some of the very old Omas nibs it's lacking

Edited by sansenri

Thanks. I found that same list somewhere, and was puzzled by it not describing the OM as oblique, but rather as "special left-handed." Also was puzzled by what the letters stand for. Does not make sense to me that the "M" means medium, given that the 1.4 mm is the largest nib they had, the same size as the BB. I am dubious that OM means oblique medium.

Thanks. I found that same list somewhere, and was puzzled by it not describing the OM as oblique, but rather as "special left-handed." Also was puzzled by what the letters stand for. Does not make sense to me that the "M" means medium, given that the 1.4 mm is the largest nib they had, the same size as the BB. I am dubious that OM means oblique medium.

can't help you further than that...I agree on the incongruence but Omas was odd in its nomenclature sometimes...

I've always found this to be an odd nib, but rather nice after some getting used to, broad and flexy...

sansenri, you just solved a long standing mystery I had with one of my Omas nibs. I have one nib exactly as in your photograph: is marked "OM", looks like a right-foot oblique, and writes very thick (about 1mm line). I thought this couldn't be! Now I understand :-) Omas nib markings on obliques are a bit different. Anyway, I am having it swapped for a finer line, too thick for a daily writer for me, though the nib is wonderful. Thank you, sansenri.

PS here is my OM, this came on a 557-F (Paragon)

fpn_1572387011__p1140798-3_om_nib_557-f.

omas, with small o on the nib should indicate Omas own nib production (the Bock produced nibs are marked Omas with a capital o).

OM in the Omas nibs is oblique, for lefties...

here is the Omas nibs info

(EF) Extra-fine 0.60 mm
(F) Fine 0.80 mm
(M) Average 1.00 mm
(B ) Large 1.20 mm
(BB) Extra-large 1.40 mm
(OM) Special left-handed nib 1.40 mm
(OMD) Right oblique (average) 1.00 mm
(OBD) Right oblique (large) 1.20 mm
(OBBD) Right oblique (extra-large) 1.40 mm

the size marking is always on the left side of the nibs

in some of the very old Omas nibs it's lacking

maybe the "M" in "OM" could stand for "Mancino" (left-handed in Italian), while the D" in "OMD", "OBD" and "OBBD" "OMD" could stand for "Destro/Destrimano/Destrorso" (right-handed in Italian)?

Except, if the M means left-handed, and D means right-handed, then OMD would convert to: "Oblique Left-Handed Right-Handed."

Given my times visiting Italy, could be...

In the case of OMD, OBD and OBBD the middle letter(s) could stand for the more familiar "Medium, Bold, double Broad", hence OMD would be Oblique Medium Right-hand ... sort of makes sense, granted, in a slightly twisted way ...

Agreed, but if the measurements in that list are correct, the OM / Oblique Medium (Left-Handed) is the largest nib they sold.

can't help you further than that...I agree on the incongruence but Omas was odd in its nomenclature sometimes...

I've always found this to be an odd nib, but rather nice after some getting used to, broad and flexy...

no, I'm not, that's why it takes getting used to, but you can use it

Edited by sansenri

maybe the "M" in "OM" could stand for "Mancino" (left-handed in Italian), while the D" in "OMD", "OBD" and "OBBD" "OMD" could stand for "Destro/Destrimano/Destrorso" (right-handed in Italian)?

could very well be

In the case of OMD, OBD and OBBD the middle letter(s) could stand for the more familiar "Medium, Bold, double Broad", hence OMD would be Oblique Medium Right-hand ... sort of makes sense, granted, in a slightly twisted way ...

yes that's right

medium, broad, double broad right handed

the OM is the odd one out but the interpretation of obliquo mancino sounds correct

also explains being the odd one out why it's so broad

if they had adopted the same nomenclature it should have been OBBM probably...

Edited by sansenri

This is a page from a catalogue of Omas dated 2001.

Nibs are not anymore produced in-house, but maybe the letters used to define each nib are the same of the own produced.

fpn_1572464894__scan_omas_nibs_2001.jpg

Excellent reference, fabri00. Thank you! Now I am totally clear why my OM was so broad and a left-foot oblique :D

This is a page from a catalogue of Omas dated 2001.

Nibs are not anymore produced in-house, but maybe the letters used to define each nib are the same of the own produced.

fpn_1572464894__scan_omas_nibs_2001.jpg

grazie Fabri!

the guess obliquo destro medio /broad / double broad was right and so was obliquo mancino

thank you for the catalogue, I had the nib description but not the original page!

I feel nostalgic that we can't freely get these nibs any more...

sansenri, you just solved a long standing mystery I had with one of my Omas nibs. I have one nib exactly as in your photograph: is marked "OM", looks like a right-foot oblique, and writes very thick (about 1mm line). I thought this couldn't be! Now I understand :-) Omas nib markings on obliques are a bit different. Anyway, I am having it swapped for a finer line, too thick for a daily writer for me, though the nib is wonderful. Thank you, sansenri.

glad to help, despite the fact I'm not left handed I'm not letting go of mine, it's too nice!...

I am left handed.

I have an OM nib on my 1993 Arco Bronze Paragon.

Makes good sense, I think, to have my best writing nib on my best looking pen!! :thumbup:

post-139638-0-91145400-1572478903_thumb.jpg