Vinta Inks - Range Swatch Test

NickiStew

vinta-inks-07.jpg

A couple of months back, I swatch tested 100 samples from the Sailor Ink Studio range and four new colours from Troublemaker Inks. I was hugely impressed with all of the dramatic chromatic behaviours and their magical effects when used for watercolour painting. So, when Anja Gebler from Papier und Stift suggested that I swatch test Vinta Inks, how could I refuse?

vinta-inks-08.jpeg

Like Troublemaker Inks, Vinta Inks are a small artisan ink manufacturer based in the Philippines. The range currently consists of twenty colours featuring eleven standard inks, 4 sheening inks and five shimmer inks.The inks are all named after people, places and events with further information on the Vinta Inks website.

vinta-inks-01.jpg

Gold Dust [Piloncitos 1521] - A deep brown earth ochre colour bleeding out browns, greys and feint green blues when dropped onto a wetted watercolour paper surface. A strong gold reaction with bleach. Gold shimmer dust and a strong sheen.

Pastel Blue[Julio 1991] - A light blue/purple pastel colour bleeding out dusty pink, grey/blue and light cyan when dropped onto a wetted watercolour paper surface. A neon white reaction with bleach. Silver shimmer dust and a hint of sheen.

Pastel Pink[Julia 1991] - A transluscent pink pastel colour bleeding out just a feint hint of cyan when dropped onto a wetted watercolour paper surface. A neon white reaction with bleach. Silver shimmer dust with no sheen.

Pink Sands[santa Cruz 1983] - A vivid orange (no pink!) bleeding out yellow when dropped onto a wetted watercolour paper surface. A muted reaction with bleach. Gold shimmer dust with no sheen.

vinta-inks-02.jpg

Cosmic Blue[Kosmos 1955] - A deep blue bleeding out turquoise when dropped onto a wetted watercolour paper surface. No reaction with bleach. Gold shimmer dust and a strong red sheen.

Deepwater Blue[Lucia 1952] - A fabulous blue grey bleeding out feint green blues, grey and pink when dropped onto a wetted watercolour paper surface. A strong white gold reaction with bleach. Hint of sheen. Visual similarities with inks in the Troublemaker and Sailor Ink Studio ranges.

Bronze Yellow[La Paz 1985] - A lively hazelnut brown bleeding out yellow browns and feint green when dropped onto a wetted watercolour paper surface. A dull gold reaction with bleach. No sheen.

Blue Floss[Perya 1820] - This appears to be a lighter version of Deepwater Blue bleeding out feint grey and green blue when dropped onto a wetted watercolour paper surface. A neon white gold reaction with bleach. No sheen. Visual similarities with inks in the Troublemaker and Sailor Ink Studio ranges.

vinta-inks-03.jpg

Aegean[Armada 1944] - A multi-tone dusty pink, blue and grey bleeding out green blue, grey and dusty pink when dropped onto a wetted watercolour paper surface. A strong white gold reaction with bleach. Hint of sheen. Visual similarities with inks in the Troublemaker and Sailor Ink Studio ranges.

Sea Kelp[Leyte 1944] - A deep khaki green bleeding out browns, greens, yellow and cyan when dropped onto a wetted watercolour paper surface. A gold reaction with bleach. No sheen.

Summer Green[Carnival 1908] - A blue green bleeding out browns, greens, and cyan when dropped onto a wetted watercolour paper surface. A gold reaction with bleach. Hint of sheen.

Sunrise[Hanan 1964] - A translucent gold yellow bleeding out feint yellow and even a hint of green when dropped onto a wetted watercolour paper surface. A neon white gold reaction with bleach and a strong sheen.

vinta-inks-04.jpg

Emerald[Carlos 1960] - A dark emerald green bleeding out browns, greens, yellow and cyan when dropped onto a wetted watercolour paper surface. A negligible reaction with bleach. No sheen.

Mermaid Green[sirena 1952] - A pastel grey brown bleeding out pink browns, greys and feint green blues when dropped onto a wetted watercolour paper surface. A strong white gold reaction with bleach. Hint of sheen.

Violet[Maskara 1890] - A pastel violet bleeding out purples, pinks and turquoise when dropped onto a wetted watercolour paper surface. A strong white gold reaction with bleach. Hint of sheen.

Vineyard[La Union 1971] - A deep rich maroon bleeding out pinks when dropped onto a wetted watercolour paper surface. A weak reaction with bleach.

vinta-inks-05.jpg

Azure[Maharlika 7107] - A deep blue bleeding out turquoise when dropped onto a wetted watercolour paper surface. No reaction with bleach. Strong red sheen.

Teal[Andrada 1898] - A seriously dark teal bleeding out green and cyan when dropped onto a wetted watercolour paper surface. No reaction with bleach. Heavy black red sheen.

Blue Blood[Dugong Bughaw 1521] - A deep blue bleeding out turquoise when dropped onto a wetted watercolour paper surface. No reaction with bleach. Heavy red blue black sheen.

Sikatuna[sandugo 1565] - A deep rich red bleeding out vermilion and pinks when dropped onto a wetted watercolour paper surface. A weak reaction with bleach. Heavy black sheen.

This is a compact and dynamic range of fountain pen inks with plenty of colour, variety and personality. Big sheens and subtle shimmers are underpinned with some wonderful chromatic revelations - with some inks demonstrating all three. There is something here for everyone.

Tests conducted on Bockingford 200lb rough using a Noodler's Creeper fountain pen. As I only had 3ml samples, some of the shimmer ink tests are lacking a bit of shimmer dust. Just saying.

Edited by NickiStew

To view the full article and images please visit my blog: **** WWW.NICKSTEWART.INK ****

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NickiStew

• DrDebG

• inkstainedruth

• Intensity

Outstanding! You've given me another few ink colors to go after. I love your review of the Troublemaker inks. I was saddened to find they had "temporarily closed" by the time I got to their website. But a kind fellow FPNer sent me a sample of Abalone and I love it. So, I am waiting every so patiently for them to open up again.

How does Vinta compare with other inks in terms of formulation and behavior?

Thank you again for taking the time to do this!

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

Outstanding! You've given me another few ink colors to go after. I love your review of the Troublemaker inks. I was saddened to find they had "temporarily closed" by the time I got to their website. But a kind fellow FPNer sent me a sample of Abalone and I love it. So, I am waiting every so patiently for them to open up again.

How does Vinta compare with other inks in terms of formulation and behavior?

Thank you again for taking the time to do this!

Thanks 5Cavaliers. I felt that these inks were similar in terms of make up and chromatic behaviour to Troublemaker and Sailor Sudio Inks which begs the question, do ink makers residing and working in the same geographical areas, subconsciously influence one another? It's a thought. What I really, really, really, really like about these inks from the Far East is their sensitive chromatic behaviours - they're beautifully refined and delicate. In Europe, there has recently been a craze for supersaturated extreme sheening inks. Tbh these inks can be a little bit on the brutal side in that they tend to stain everything they come into contact with - thereby limiting their uses for creative purposes as they are just so heavily concentrated. There we are - I've said it...

Edited by NickiStew

To view the full article and images please visit my blog: **** WWW.NICKSTEWART.INK ****

Thanks 5Cavaliers. I felt that these inks were similar in terms of make up and chromatic behaviour to Troublemaker and Sailor Sudio Inks which begs the question, do ink makers residing and working in the same geographical areas, subconsciously influence one another? It's a thought. What I really, really, really, really like about these inks from the Far East is their sensitive chromatic behaviours - they're beautifully refined and delicate. In Europe, there has recently been a craze for supersaturated extreme sheening inks. Tbh these inks can be a little bit on the brutal side in that they tend to stain everything they come into contact with - thereby limiting their uses for creative purposes as they are just so heavily concentrated. There we are - I've said it...

Thank you for letting me know. While I am no artist, I do play around a bit, and I seem to much prefer inks that are less saturated with, as you put it, more sensitive chromatic behavior. It is almost beyond the watercolor effect. From my travels in and around Asia, I would agree that there seems to be a love of the delicate and refined and subtle complexity. Although our Asian pen makers must appeal to a very broad market and many include the supersaturated, oversheening inks as well.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

Thank you for letting me know. While I am no artist, I do play around a bit, and I seem to much prefer inks that are less saturated with, as you put it, more sensitive chromatic behavior. It is almost beyond the watercolor effect. From my travels in and around Asia, I would agree that there seems to be a love of the delicate and refined and subtle complexity. Although our Asian pen makers must appeal to a very broad market and many include the supersaturated, oversheening inks as well.

And Vinta Inks, in my opinion, have a achieved a very nice balance of ink type - sheen, shimmer and standard. There are a couple that border on what I call 'duotone'. The 'duotone' which is evident in the Troublemaker inks, appears to come from the Far East and as you can tell - I am a huge fan. What I find really exciting is that of all analogue art/creative mediums, fountain pen ink is blazing a trail from all others. My annual review is gonna be something!!!

Edited by NickiStew

Some of those colors look quite nice.

Thanks for doing this. And, well not... [muttering "Do NOT need more blue ink.... Do NOT need more pink ink.... Do NOT need more purple ink.... DEFINITELY do NOT need more shimmer inks...."]

Sigh....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

And Vinta Inks, in my opinion, have a achieved a very nice balance of ink type - sheen, shimmer and standard. There are a couple that border on what I call 'duotone'. The 'duotone' which is evident in the Troublemaker inks, appears to come from the Far East and as you can tell - I am a huge fan. What I find really exciting is that of all analogue art/creative mediums, fountain pen ink is blazing a trail from all others. My annual review is gonna be something!!!

I am looking forward to it!

Fading tests would be appreciated too, if possible. Ive found my two troublemaker polychrome inks change color rather quickly when left out with light exposure (some of their components fade, leaving others behind). No issues yet in closed notebooks.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

Fading tests would be appreciated too, if possible. Ive found my two troublemaker polychrome inks change color rather quickly when left out with light exposure (some of their components fade, leaving others behind). No issues yet in closed notebooks.

Hi Intensity. Thanks for your comment. Just for the record, all my ink investigations are geared towards fp ink use in creative endeavours and that's why all my posts are hosted in Inky Thoughts. For the more technical and analytic ink tests and reviews there are some very serious and thorough individuals in this forum who are maybe the contacts you need to converse with? They post in Ink Comparisons and Ink Reviews where the detail you mentioned is covered.

• 4 weeks later...

Huh I haven't realized this before. Pretty interesting observation. Also another observation is how similar the type of duotone ink and sheening inks are. Like blue sheens red and red sheens greenish metalling thing. Most duotone inks have this pale pink where it pools, etc. I'm looking into venturing into less commonly used water soluble dyes to achieve a different effect, if that's possible at all.

Huh I haven't realized this before. Pretty interesting observation. Also another observation is how similar the type of duotone ink and sheening inks are. Like blue sheens red and red sheens greenish metalling thing. Most duotone inks have this pale pink where it pools, etc. I'm looking into venturing into less commonly used water soluble dyes to achieve a different effect, if that's possible at all.

I have noticed something similar. I would be interested to see what you come up with.

Please keep us posted with your investigations? N

• 3 years later...