Seeeking Recommendation: Nicer Than Pilot Metro, Yet Less Expensive Than Custom 912

DigitalArchivist

Hello all, I'm writing to ask for a Japanese pen recommendation. I'm fairly new to fountain pens, learning with Pilot Metros until my recent purchase of a Pilot Custom Heritage 912 with the "FA" Falcon nib, which I've been enjoying quite a bit, and this is my first post here. I'm looking for a third pen, smoother and softer than the Metro, but less expensive than the 912 (say between $50 and $150) while retaining some of the 912's softness/flex, yet a finer line-width closer to the Metro's fine. Thanks!

post-154126-0-07258000-1571975575_thumb.jpg

Edited by DigitalArchivist

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• awa54

• LostArk

• OmegaMountain

• DigitalArchivist

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Custom 74 with a SF nib?

"Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest hearts." - Patrick Rothfuss

I'll second the suggestion of a Pilot Custom 74. I have one with a broad nib and a Custom Heritage 91 in Soft Medium (same nib as the 74, but rhodium plated), both are excellent writers, just different barrel, cap and clip shapes. I really like the soft medium. As a bonus they also use the excellent CON-70 vac converter.

David-

So many restoration projects...

If you already have a 912, I'd suggest possibly branching out brand-wise. Take a look at the Platinum 3776 Soft Fine.

Firstly, welcome to the madness.

To stick with Japanese manufacturers, consider a Sailor 1911 Large with an extra-fine nib. These pens have a 'wow' factor that will spoil you for anything else. But they're not what I would call flex. In fact, I wouldn't even try to flex them. In addition, you'll probably have to order from Japan to keep it under 150.

To make a lateral move from the Metropolitans, consider the Chinese Wing Sung 698 (25 bucks). Plus for a few dollars more, one can purchase spare nibs and feeds that fit both the 698 and Metropolitans. The steel, gold colored Wings nib is a little softer than the Metropolitans and just as fine. It's a piston filler, if that's something you want to try.

I have both the Pilot 74, and the Platinum 3776 with soft-fine nibs; both excellent choices for what I think you're after, but again, not flex. Between the two, the 74 nib has a little more ability to separate the tines, but the 3776 line is more consistent.

A popular strategy is to make a short list, and wait for an offer you can't refuse.

Best of luck

If you are willing to venture outside of Japanese pens, try a Caran d'Ache 849 in an EF. They are more expensive that a Metro or Lamy Safari, but made very well and are real work horses.

https://endlesspens.com/collections/caran-dache-fountain-pens/products/caran-dache-849-fluo-series-fountain-pen

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

With Pilot: 91, 74, 92, check out their vintage pens, I've had good luck searching for Pilot Custom on ebay and such. There's also a new steel nib Custom NS.

With Sailor: Promenade, Pro Color, 1911 profit standard, professional gear, just make sure to understand the size differences, larger pens usually come with 21k nibs.

With Platinum: 3776 Century.

I also enjoy a Metro and have been curious about their gold nib pens.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

As an additoinal observation, if the writing example you show with the 912/falcon is representative of what you're getting from it, then I'd suggest trying a lighter hand with the falcon (which is a fine nib IIRC), if you don't flex it all the time you'll get a *much* finer line!

David-

So many restoration projects...

I recommend the Pilot Custom Heritage 91 or 92, which are a little smaller than your Custom Heritage 912.

The Pilot Custom Heritage 92 is the same pen as the 91, with a piston filler instead of a cartridge/converter.

Also, the Pilot Custom 74 is the same pen as the 91, with a rounded cigar shape instead of the flat ends of the 91.

All three pens are excellent, IMO.

Scientia potentia est.

• 2 weeks later...

You might like to try a Pilot Elite 95s / E95s. This is a stylish pen with a very sweet soft gold nib. The price varies widely: they are over $100 most places in the US, but Amazon sells some from Japan that are just under $90.

(The pen is called the Elite 95s in Japan, but in the US, it is the E95s due to copyright issues, I think. Besides the price, the main difference is that the Japanese cap says "Elite," while the US cap has only the "E.")

I got the gold/wine version with an M nib recently, and I just love it! I usually like a very broad nib, but I fell in love as soon as inked this one (actually, as soon as I saw it IRL: it's a beautiful pen with retro flair). Indeed, I like it better than some pens I've paid much much more for.

You can find a number of thoughtful and in-depth reviews on Amazon, as well as here on FPN.