Pelikan Warranty And Prices On Online Purchases?

Cursive Child

I'm considering getting an M805 online, due to the significant price differences from the other websites or retail stores ($480-600+). Cultpens.com and Niche Pens seem to be selling them around $330 (at current exchange rates). Amazon sells them for sub $300. (A month or so ago, before the GPB jumped on Brexit hopes, it was even better at $280 odd, with online coupons).

I've read the Chartpak in the US does not honor warranty service for pens bought with the online retailers. Is that true? (I had them do a warranty service on my M605 I bought from Pam Braun, years ago). Any experiences positive or otherwise helpful.

Why the huge variation in prices? Why would I buy a Pelikan for $600 odd if I can buy it for almost half that from a reputed online retailer? Even if I have to send it to a nibmeister for adjustment, I'll still be saving money. (Both my Pelikan purchases in the past had flow issues). What am I missing? I don't buy that many pens, and this is going to be a special thing, so want to be sure.

Leery of amazon.com, as one never knows who's selling it and if genuine or not...

Do cultpens and Niche Pens do a basic dip test before sending it?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cursive Child

• Brianm_14

• Honeybadgers

• anemography

You are correct. Chartpak does not honor warranty repairs for any pen purchased abroad. You have to factor that into the savings. The tradeoff is usually still worth it in my opinion, especially for the more expensive models. You would have to seek remedy from the vendor if you run into issues. There is a significant variation in regional pricing with the USA having some of the highest prices. That is the reality of the current market and not likely to change anytime soon. Lots of products experience similar. The specifics as to why that might be the case are beyond my limited understanding of economics. You can ask the vendor to test the pen prior to shipping but that is at their discretion.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

My experience with Pelikan indicated to me almost no repairs that I could not do myself, so when faced with this decision I bought used or online. If there is a show-stopping issue with the pen I think you could send it to Pelikan in Germany.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

As long as your purchase is made at an authorized dealer (AD)..... and you have good documentation of it......you will get warranty coverage.

It may not be via Chartpak. And, yes, it may require communicating with Pelikan in Germany. But you are covered.

If you do not purchase from an AD you will be in a "buyer beware situation." Win some / lose some. Is landing in bad pen purgatory really worth the extra few dollars you will save? No one can answer that question but you.

IMO, the "sweet spot" is to find the lowest available price at some AD somewhere, regardless of country. Be sure to factor in any shipping and potential taxes / import duties.

Good luck!

Just to be clear Chartpak will warranty pens bought from US Authorized dealers who sell via the web but I know you aren't asking about them since they don't have the low prices Cultpen's has. If you have an out of the box issue Cultpens will help you after that I do think you are sending it to Germany. Cultpens is an authorized dealer, but since they don't get pens from Chartpak you don't get warranty with Chartpak.

I have bought Pelikan pens and nibs from Cultpens and would buy from them again.

I don't know about pelikan but I have had good luck with every single pen brand I know of not really caring where the pen came from.

Yafa took back a conklin nozac I bought for FIVE dollars on amazon warehouse that was totally buggered, no questions asked, and sent me a new one.

I think coles may have asked for proof of purchase, but I can't remember.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Niche Pens aka purepens will do a dip test prior to dispatch if you request that when you order. Not sure about CultPens but you could contact them and ask. Their customer service is generally very good.

I still have difficulty with this whole matter of one stratum of absurdly (to me) highly-priced items from dealers of pens or whatever, with a certain high-level of warrenty service, and much lower prices elsewhere, and no or poor warrenty service. The US courts eventually settled this in favor of consumers, for the most part, for many goods.

Basically, again just to me, a manufacturer either backs what THEY make or they don't. I do often buy from "authorized dealers" but always with a lingering feeling that to a degree -a percentage way too large- I've been "had." (Yet, I also buy with satisfaction from local shops when I can, to keep the dollars here, longer, so I do understand and will support authorized dealers when I perceive a true value of some sort is involved.)

It just rankles me to pay a significant percentage more for the "privilege" of supporting an unfair pricing structure.

Brian

I hear you. I would love to support local and/or bricks and mortar businesses, and do it where the price is not significantly higher (e.g. Target, Home Depot over amazon any day....)

The $327 M805 I just bought from Cultpens, sells for $701 at my local b&m pen store. Most US dealers sell for $480. I'm not rich enough to support that :(