Is There Anything Like Too Much Leather?

fpupulin

Whereas five of my cases are missing in the photograph, in addition to my wife's five, I think she is right when she says: "We have too many pen pouches!"

fpn_1571695115__too_much_leather_fp.jpg

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• inkypete

• Lloyd

• como

It could be worse.

Recently I went trailing around way too many stores to find a replacement for the piece of garbage $68 purse that was only a year and a half old, but the straps were failing. And I actually saw some that were labeled "Vegan Leather".... I kid you not. Of course, I was going, "Vinyl. I don't WANT vinyl, no matter WHAT they call it...."

Of course what I REALLY wanted was a purse like the one I had 3 purses ago. Leather, various inside pockets, and -- the best part -- tall narrow pockets on the *outside*, but under the straps. Just PERFECT for having pens in ready access but not running the risk of losing them, or them getting turned upside down and leaking into the caps....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

It could be worse.

Recently I went trailing around way too many stores to find a replacement for the piece of garbage $68 purse that was only a year and a half old, but the straps were failing. And I actually saw some that were labeled "Vegan Leather".... I kid you not. Of course, I was going, "Vinyl. I don't WANT vinyl, no matter WHAT they call it...."

Of course what I REALLY wanted was a purse like the one I had 3 purses ago. Leather, various inside pockets, and -- the best part -- tall narrow pockets on the *outside*, but under the straps. Just PERFECT for having pens in ready access but not running the risk of losing them, or them getting turned upside down and leaking into the caps....

Vegan leather, pleather - gives me the absolute horrors. Its called plastic or vinyl. Terminology like that should be illegal. Like almond milk - excuse me? Never seen a lactating almond in my life (and I do look).

I love my leather notebook covers, compendiums, pouches, pen sleeves etc. There is no such thing as too many - only too few. There are no maximums - only minimums. Keep collecting your pen pouches until you find the exact one you absolutely love - then buy a few more of them.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

@ inkypete -- Actually "almond milk" is really a thing -- it's basically soaking ground almonds in boiling water and then straining off the liquid. The stuff you buy in grocery stores have all sorts of preservatives and stuff in them, but it's easy enough to make at home (I've done it).

I suspect it got the name when it first came into use in the Middle Ages -- it was a substitute for regular milk for fast days and during Lent for dishes that normally called for milk as an ingredient (like for quiches or custards).

"Vegan leather" OTOH? That's just marketing speak, geared at people who aren't bright enough to know that it's really just vinyl. Makes me think of this place that used to be in the next county that was a rescue farm for farm animals. It was run by some well-meaning but clueless vegans, and they put out a little magazine. I was out there one time a number of years ago because there was a heads up about how there was all this free fleece from shearing the sheep (at least they DID understand that the sheep needed to be sheared). So my husband and I went out one afternoon to get some bags of the fleece (which was SUPPOSED to be clean; in actuality, not so much...). And the guy gave me a copy of the magazine. And one of the founders had an article about how she no longer wore wool sweaters because it was "an animal byproduct".... I didn't know whether to pat the woman on the head in a patronizing way and say "There, there, it will be all right..." or to grab her by the collar and dope slap her while explaining in excruciating detail about the cotton industry in this country, and how much in way of petrochemicals are being used in fertilizing the soil annually (cotton plants take a LOT of nutrients out of the soil, and *used* to be done as part of crop rotation cycles -- and it's not as bad as growing flax for linen, which was on a 7 to 10 YEAR crop rotation cycle).

Me? I don't want a plastic handbag....

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

@ inkypete -- Actually "almond milk" is really a thing -- it's basically soaking ground almonds in boiling water and then straining off the liquid. The stuff you buy in grocery stores have all sorts of preservatives and stuff in them, but it's easy enough to make at home (I've done it).

I suspect it got the name when it first came into use in the Middle Ages -- it was a substitute for regular milk for fast days and during Lent for dishes that normally called for milk as an ingredient (like for quiches or custards).

"Vegan leather" OTOH? That's just marketing speak, geared at people who aren't bright enough to know that it's really just vinyl. Makes me think of this place that used to be in the next county that was a rescue farm for farm animals. It was run by some well-meaning but clueless vegans, and they put out a little magazine. I was out there one time a number of years ago because there was a heads up about how there was all this free fleece from shearing the sheep (at least they DID understand that the sheep needed to be sheared). So my husband and I went out one afternoon to get some bags of the fleece (which was SUPPOSED to be clean; in actuality, not so much...). And the guy gave me a copy of the magazine. And one of the founders had an article about how she no longer wore wool sweaters because it was "an animal byproduct".... I didn't know whether to pat the woman on the head in a patronizing way and say "There, there, it will be all right..." or to grab her by the collar and dope slap her while explaining in excruciating detail about the cotton industry in this country, and how much in way of petrochemicals are being used in fertilizing the soil annually (cotton plants take a LOT of nutrients out of the soil, and *used* to be done as part of crop rotation cycles -- and it's not as bad as growing flax for linen, which was on a 7 to 10 YEAR crop rotation cycle).

Yes, but almond milk isn't milk, it's water infused with almonds. That's why it's now forbidden to be sold in the EU as "milk", as it didn't come from a mammal. It's now sold as "almond drink" or whatever have you, "soy drink", "oat drink" etc. Milk can only be called milk when coming from a mammal.

Yeah, the fierce demand for no animal products bears certainly other problems which militant vegans don't seem to consider at all, like a shyte tonne of plastic, which is worse than a natural product which decompostes properly once binned (eg wool, cotton, leather, fur) and tends to have a longer and better life span than the fake stuff.

Too much leather? Depends on the context. Head to toe gear would be too much for my taste, but this? Nope, not at all!

It could be worse.

Have you checked Arthur's stuff at Innovative Journaling? Being a small leather shop, he most likely would be willing to make changes to existing designs to fit your needs. One one hand : he's not cheap, on the other : those leather bags will last for life.

-k

It ain't milk! It's almond juice no matter how it's extracted. And you're right - 'vegan leather' is marketing spin - sounds nicer than vinyl.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

I thought "vegan leather" was a leather-like product made out of the tanned hides of vegans. Much of this comes out of California where the hides are tanned via the sun instead of either chrome or vegetable processes.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

I thought "vegan leather" was a leather-like product made out of the tanned hides of vegans. Much of this comes out of California where the hides are tanned via the sun instead of either chrome or vegetable processes.

:lticaptd:

That's like the scene in one of the "Addams Family" movies where Wednesday asked the Girl Scout if the cookies are made with real Girl Scouts....

So, if the hides are suntanned, can you use metal stamps to decorate it, the way you can with vegetable tanned leather? Or is it more like chrome tanned leather, where you can literally try to stamp it and watch the leather resume its original flat surface? B)

Oh that’s a lot of pen cases. But if your wife has more in shoes and handbags, you are off the hook. I imagine that one handbag can have enough leather for three pen cases?

Whereas five of my cases are missing in the photograph, in addition to my wife's five, I think she is right when she says: "We have too many pen pouches!"

fpn_1571695115__too_much_leather_fp.jpg

It ain't milk! It's almond juice no matter how it's extracted...

I thought the same till I read inkstainedruth's post. Then I saw this article from the Smithsonian Mag. Now I don't know what to think anymore :)

:lticaptd:

That's like the scene in one of the "Addams Family" movies where Wednesday asked the Girl Scout if the cookies are made with real Girl Scouts....

So, if the hides are suntanned, can you use metal stamps to decorate it, the way you can with vegetable tanned leather? Or is it more like chrome tanned leather, where you can literally try to stamp it and watch the leather resume its original flat surface? B)

Another form of vegan leather is leather that is just recycled.

It's not 100% harm free, but it's eco-friendly and sustainable, so reusing something like that to prevent new product is acceptable to some vegans.

Honestly, I don't like solid leather for small cases. I think it's bulky and prefer fabric. And I don't understand the single pen sleeve whatsoever apart from when I want to use my absolute most cherished and irreplacable pens, the Wahl doric and my visconti divina metro.

I do think you've got too many pouches. That's just disorganized looking to me.

I'm okay with PU leather in a lot of cases, honestly. But oddly, I really would want my portfolio, which I love, to be made from leather, even though the one I have is made in america from extremely high quality material and a pristine fit and finish, I would've preferred leather (despite the higher cost, they just don't make one)

As for other products, I am all about leather. proper leather belts, watch bands, boots, jackets, gloves. When I finally get around to getting my metal lathe, I plan on making a pen with a section that is designed to have a strip of leather wrapped around the section and can be re-wound over the years. I did it with a pilot penmanship since that pen's section isn't covered when capped, and good god was that pen comfortable.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)