Modern Desk Pens?

Maurizio

Does any company besides Pilot and Platinum make any decent desk pens? I have a Pilot and I have a Platinum on the way, but these are both rather pedestrian in appearance with plastic bodies and not very special looking. I was browsing through my copy of Paul Erano's book "Fountain Pens Past & Present" (image attached) and saw several examples of desk pens from the '30's and 40's, all, it appears from American fountain pen manufacturers now long out of business. Some of them were quite nice. I just thought I'd throw the question out here to see if there was an answer. If anyone knows the answer, it will be someone from this group of folks wordwide.

post-27357-0-51336600-1571681805_thumb.jpg

The prizes of life are never to be had without trouble - Horace
Kind words do not cost much, yet they accomplish much - Pascal

You are never too old to set a new goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Favorite shop:https://www.fountainpenhospital.com

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maurizio

• Addertooth

• Honeybadgers

• DonM

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Perhaps you should re-align your goals. The old desk pens were fantastic writers, and many artisans appreciate the extra long tailed length which gives the the control a paint brush has. I have several vintage desksets, and would buy more, If I only had the space. The old desk sets do everything a modern desk pen does... and more. They frequently earn more "style points".

I will throw in.. they have passed the test of time as well, something which a newer pen has not yet proven.

Edited by Addertooth

Thanks DonM. I will check those out, and that means we’re talking about Platinum nibs right?

Addertooth - are you saying my best option is to look for a vintage pen like some I’ve seen in the Erano book? Not against this idea either if the price is not too outrageous. And indeed the reason I’m looking for one of these is for my fledgling interest in pen & ink sketching. I have yet to go to a pen show where I imagine I might see some. Can you suggest any reputable online sites I might peruse? Not eBay please.

Thanks for any further information.

To avoid skewing the pool, simply google "desk pen waterman" "desk pen Wahl".... etc.... any of the vintage pen companies.... you will find a variety of pen shops with good reputations.

I like to tinker, so I purchase unloved pens and restore them. I normally do not buy fully functional pens, as that robs me of the fun of fixing them. I know what shops I like to buy parts from.... five pens, peyton pens, pentiques, fountain pen hospital......

If you do artistic work, then you may enjoy flex nibs. There are several good examples of that with vintage pens. If you like nail nibs, then you might like the Sheaffer Triumph nib pens.

A high quality Vintage pen with a gold nib, will typically cost less than the modern equivalent. Vintage desk pens normally sell for less than the equivalent pocket pen. It is almost a shame.

Most people do not have the desire or space for desk pens, so it makes for little competition for purchases. I have picked up desk pens for less than what JUST the nib would sell for.

Long tail pen are still being made by various mfr its the base that's missing today from their product list

lots of long tails are made but not a lot of bases.

you can still get a base for a MB149. but it's a few hundred bucks.

For me, I'm sticking with vintage for desk pens. They're so. unbelievably. cheap. Because collectors don't love them since they take up so much space.

I have a glass base sheaffer snorkel X4 14k that was in like-new condition, with its original box. didn't even need a new sac, worked like new. Cost me $30.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

I checked out Peyton Street Pens and found a nice Schaefer desk pen. Out of stock at the moment but I put in a “tell me when it’s available again” reserve order.

Thanks for the suggestion Addertooth.

Maurizio,

Could you provide me a link for the pen you looked at? I am curious if you got a stiff nib, or a flex nib.

Edited by Addertooth

Thanks DonM. I will check those out, and that means we’re talking about Platinum nibs right?

Yes, the equivalent of the President nib. If you buy from Nibs.com you have all their customization options available to you. But if you can find a vintage that meets your needs it will be much less costly.

Yes, the equivalent of the President nib. If you buy from Nibs.com you have all their customization options available to you. But if you can find a vintage that meets your needs it will be much less costly.

Yes it’s looking like vintage will definitely be less costly. Since I’ve never fooled around with a vintage pen this will be fun. I’ve always wanted to feel for myself what a 1930’s or 40’s nib felt like in comparison to modern nibs. I’ve seen affordable prices form $90. - to $150.00 so far. The next time I spend big money on a pen it’s going to be for a Pilot Custom 845. I’m perusing Peyton Street Pens’s site and looking for a few others. After I peruse the options I’ll pull the trigger on something which for me I’ll be the best choice among available options.

Maurizio,

Could you provide me a link for the pen you looked at? I am curious if you got a stiff nib, or a flex nib.

I can’t find the link for the pen I asked for notification when it’s back in stock. This was not saved to my wishlist. I now also have 2 other pens in my wishlist but I’m loathe to post links to these for fear that someone else may buy them before I’m ready to pull the trigger.

Maurizio:

For your consideration go to see Gary at GoPensdotCom { https://gopens.com }

And go to Catalogs # 89 check out number 133 / # 90 check out numbers 274 & 275....

Additionally consider Esterbrook desk sets { lever fillers }.,.

Redacting: Check out Sam&Frank at Pendemonium.com/esterbrook.htm Re: Esterbrook

Fred

Article 1,Section 9,Clause 8

Fact or Fiction.............

Edited by Freddy

I checked out Peyton Street Pens and found a nice Schaefer desk pen. Out of stock at the moment but I put in a “tell me when it’s available again” reserve order.

Thanks for the suggestion Addertooth.

Ebay is a good source for desk pens. They're everywhere for cheap.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Ebay is a good source for desk pens. They're everywhere for cheap.

Watch out for the ones with 'minor bent nibs'. I looked at one that had the right tine folded over the left, and apparently the seller thought it was still good enough to sell higher than undamaged ones.

Okay, the primary thing I was curious about was whether you are looking for a vintage flex nib, or if you prefer stiff nibs in vintage pens... this will allow me to better point you in a specific direction.

I realize your reticence to purchasing from eBay, especially if you are not a pen restorer. Most desksets found there do need work, but, they are astoundingly inexpensive. Quite often, they are under 100, or even 50 dollars. You always have the option of purchasing from eBay, and having a reputable shop clean it and replace the sac for less than 100 bucks. (some will do it for about fifty bucks).

Are you looking for a basic square Marble base, or one with brass/bronze accents such as nameplates, pen rest, or figurines? Are you looking for a set which has accessory items, such as a blotter and a letter opener?

Do you find sleek lines interesting on the pen, or do you prefer faceted bodies. Does multicolor celluloid grab your attention, or is basic black you sweet spot. Do some of the woodgrain hard rubber catch your fancy... there are a lot of great choices in vintage.

Edited by Addertooth