149 Service Question

outsidephilly

Hi, I finally got around to sending out my 149 for a needed service. The pen is from the 1980s and its been a workhorse. My question is about pistons. If they recommend replacing a bunch of the plastic parts, would they be willing to swap me over to a brass piston? The plastic does a nice job (and this isnt a museum piece so having a franken-pen is not a concern at all) but Im wondering if the metal would be a better option than investing in more plastic.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• outsidephilly

• zaddick

• aurore

• jmnav

I would say yes. I doubt they have any old plastic thread pistons left. MB service replaces and does not really repair. So you usually get enough modern parts to get the pen working properly. This will likely mean a new plastic feed too.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

I would say yes. I doubt they have any old plastic thread pistons left. MB service replaces and does not really repair. So you usually get enough modern parts to get the pen working properly. This will likely mean a new plastic feed too.

Zaddick...

If you have an ebonite feed you can request that they don't replace it?

Thanks,

David

You can request, but Ive never had that request honored in multiple tries. Now I just take the feed out myself before service if I want to keep it.

Others may have different experience, like in different regions or earlier years. I should clarify I mean the last few years in the US.

In general it is this way (at least in Europe):

1) if there is anything wrong with the barrel/section/piston they replace the whole barrel COMPLETELY (= incl. metal piston, no plastic is offered any longer), they often also replace the ebonite feed with plastic even if you requested not doing so, it costs about 75 USD altogether in Europe,

2) if there is something wrong with the cap they replace it too, then it costs 35 USD more.

Moreover you are getting a 12 months warranty.

At least my recent service was treated this way (in Hamburg).

Edited by aurore

Seeking a Parker Duofold Centennial cap top medallion/cover/decal.
My Mosaic Black Centennial MK2 lost it (used to have silver color decal).

Preferably MK2. MK3 or MK1 is also OK as long as it fits.  
Preferably EU.

In general it is this way (at least in Europe):

1) if there is anything wrong with the barrel/section/piston they replace the whole barrel COMPLETELY (= incl. metal piston, no plastic is offered any longer), they often also replace the ebonite feed with plastic even if you requested not doing so, it costs about 75 USD altogether in Europe,

2) if there is something wrong with the cap they replace it too, then it costs 35 USD more.

Moreover you are getting a 12 months warranty.

This was my experience, too.

After losing a blue window barrel, to a striped window version, I once asked why a perfectly good barrel had been replaced. The boutique didn't have an answer.

I wonder if it's to do with the small micro-cracks, often visible on the barrels of demonstrator pens? There is a school of thought which says that they also exist on the resin pens, but can't be seen owing to the black colour? Considering MB are giving a 12 month warranty with the service, it may be worth changing the barrel, just in case?

Another theory is that it's quicker and easier for the factory just to slip your nib into a new pen.

Like zaddick, I remove ebonite feeds before sending in - and sometimes the elastomer piston seal (as a spare)

All that said, if your pen is a workhorse, then it will come back ready for years more work.

It's a highly recommended service.

Good luck.

After losing a blue window barrel, to a striped window version, I once asked why a perfectly good barrel had been replaced. The boutique didn't have an answer.

I wonder if it's to do with the small micro-cracks, often visible on the barrels of demonstrator pens? There is a school of thought which says that they also exist on the resin pens, but can't be seen owing to the black colour? Considering MB are giving a 12 month warranty with the service, it may be worth changing the barrel, just in case?

Another theory is that it's quicker and easier for the factory just to slip your nib into a new pen.

Like zaddick, I remove ebonite feeds before sending in - and sometimes the elastomer piston seal (as a spare)

All that said, if your pen is a workhorse, then it will come back ready for years more work.

It's a highly recommended service.

Good luck.

A very sad experience, that would annoy me a lot considering the blue window 146 with the 50s nib is a kind of my grail pen.

I believe it is easier for them doing a swap and nothing else matters, they simply do not care. Nevertheless their service is great.

I had a funny experience with Pelikan service in Germany. I sent there my lovely vintage 14ct M800 because the metal ring around nib/feed corroded a bit and insisted they must not replace the nib. A month later I got a brand new modern 18ct nib unit instead :) They did not charge any fee but it didn't help. In general their service is superb though and unlike MB usually free of charge.

Edited by aurore

Preferably EU.

The ebonite feed is part of the reason why the pen is headed to texas. After 30 years, its in less than ideal shape. Frankly, I just want a pen that writes as well as it looks.

The ebonite feed is part of the reason why the pen is headed to texas. After 30 years, its in less than ideal shape. Frankly, I just want a pen that writes as well as it looks.

Honestly, with my 146 from late 70s I did not notice much difference in case of ebonite vs. plastic feed.

Preferably EU.

Honestly, with my 146 from late 70s I did not notice much difference in case of ebonite vs. plastic feed.

When working well, the modern resin feeds have no issue. They only real advantage to ebonite is that it can be heat set if needed. Other characteristics are a preference.

My bet: what's the worst enemy of a modern Montblanc 149? An older Montblanc 149. By refurbishing your pen they easily save their face (it's for the best user's experience) while, at the same time, take focus away from the physical thing and tie it strongerly to the brand.

The pen was received in Texas a few days ago and I got the price quote today.

Fees:

$99.00 for parts and labor

$15.00 for shipping

$6.84 for tax

Total due: $120.84

Service flat rate 2

Forepart

Body

Cone

Cap Top

Pen cap

will all be replaced.

I called to ask a few questions and to pay.

The only parts that I will be getting back are the nib and the clip (old school, "Germany" with out "pix"). I asked about the filling mechanism as well. The service person said that she was 99% sure that I would get the modern (brass) version of the filling mechanism. She also said that they do a nib polishing and alignment. They don't re-plate the clips, but she said that it would come back looking like the day that it left the factory the first time.

I asked how they determine what gets swapped out and what stay in place. She said that everything gets cleaned then put under a UV light? to look for hairline cracks. Any hairline crack seen anywhere on the part and its into the trash bin. I know some guys are really into the historical pieces but I'm not. Im really excited to get this pen back!

Turn around time is 1 week?!

I cant wait!

Edited by outsidephilly

The pen was received in Texas a few days ago and I got the price quote today.

Fees:

$99.00 for parts and labor

$15.00 for shipping

$6.84 for tax

Total due: $120.84

Service flat rate 2

Forepart

Body

Cone

Cap Top

Pen cap

will all be replaced.

I called to ask a few questions and to pay.

The only parts that I will be getting back are the nib and the clip (old school, "Germany" with out "pix"). I asked about the filling mechanism as well. The service person said that she was 99% sure that I would get the modern (brass) version of the filling mechanism. She also said that they do a nib polishing and alignment. They don't re-plate the clips, but she said that it would come back looking like the day that it left the factory the first time.

I asked how they determine what gets swapped out and what stay in place. She said that everything gets cleaned then put under a UV light? to look for hairline cracks. Any hairline crack seen anywhere on the part and its into the trash bin. I know some guys are really into the historical pieces but I'm not. Im really excited to get this pen back!

Turn around time is 1 week?!

I cant wait!

Wow! Thats great!

I inquired in India for a friends broken barrel nib unit. First they charged him a non refundable assessment fee of $60 just to give a repair quote. Then they said it would cost $500 to replace the barrel and nib unit of the 149. I told them they were insane and I bought a spare from a pen repairer instead for 1/3rd the price. Its crazy how different the pricing and levels of service are around the world.

My Vintage Montblanc Website--> link

Credit card was charged today. No email with a tracking number yet, but I have a feeling that the pen will be back in my hands soon

The pen came back looking and functioning like new. They did something to the nib because the flow is MUCH better that what I sent them. I paired it with a bottle of Noodlers "Army" ink and write to my hearts content today!

All in all, 120.00 well spent.