The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Jacques Herbin - Gris De Houle

jacques herbin gris de houle grey encres essentielles

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 namrehsnoom

namrehsnoom

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 October 2019 - 11:05

Jacques Herbin - Gris de houle

La Société Herbin, Maître Cirier à Paris, was established in 1670. This makes J. Herbin probably the oldest name among European ink makers. Today, Herbin produces a range of beautiful fountain pen and calligraphy inks, writing instruments, gift sets and accessories. Herbin inks are made in France, and the finishing touches on the bottles are still done by hand in Paris.

fpn_1571482060__jacques_herbin_-_gris_de

Recently, the company jumped on the premium product bandwagon, and started to release more high-end inks under the Jacques Herbin "Les encres essentielles" label. Nicer boxes, nicer packaging, much higher price (18,50 EUR versus the 7,50 EUR for the J. Herbin inks from the "La perle des encres" series). Nevertheless, I couldn't resist and decided to test these new offerings - are they really better than the standard J. Herbin inks?

fpn_1571482081__jacques_herbin_-_gris_de

In this review, I take a closer look at Gris de houle, a cool grey from the Jacques Herbin line. First impression: a good-looking cold grey with some green and purple undertones. The ink has a pencil-like appearance when writing with fine nibs. It looks quite nice on the paper. Gris de houle writes really wet, and is well-saturated - all this even with my dry-writing Lamy Safari test pens. Shading is very prominent, even with finer nibs. Being a grey ink, the contrast between light and dark parts never gets shocking, and the effect is quite aesthetically pleasing. I really like the looks of this ink on paper.

fpn_1571482103__jacques_herbin_-_gris_de

The ink has quite satisfactory lubrication, even in drier pens like my Lamy Safari. With my wetter Pelikan pens the ink is very saturated, and produces a much darker grey colour. Gris de houle has quite a broad colour span, ranging from a wispy light-grey with a purple haze beneath the surface, to a really dark, almost black grey. To illustrate this, I did a swab on Tomoe River paper where I really saturated portions of the paper with ink. This clearly demonstrates the ink's wide colour span.

fpn_1571482117__jacques_herbin_-_gris_de

On the smudge test - rubbing text with a moist Q-tip cotton swab - the ink behaved perfectly, with no visible smearing. Water resistance is also very good, both with a 15-minute exposure to still water, and with running tap water. Some of the ink gets flushed away, but a very readable grey residue remains. I have no issue whatsoever to read what's left on the page. Very well executed! This is also apparent from the lower part of the chromatography, which shows that the grey components of the ink firmly remain on the paper.

fpn_1571482129__jacques_herbin_-_gris_de

Unfortunately, Gris de houle is a slow-drying ink. Depending on the paper, I got drying times from 10 to 20 seconds with a dry Lamy Safari with M-nib. In my book, this slow drying time makes the ink unsuitable for use at the office. A pity, because I like the way it looks on paper.

I've tested the ink on a wide variety of paper - from crappy Moleskine to high-end Tomoe River. On each scrap of paper I show you:
  • An ink swab, made with a cotton Q-tip
  • 1-2-3 pass swab, to show increasing saturation
  • An ink scribble made with a Lamy Safari M-nib fountain pen
  • The name of the paper used, written with a Lamy Safari B-nib
  • A small text sample, written with an M-nib
  • The source of the quote, written with a wet M-nibbed Pelikan pen
  • Drying times of the ink on the paper (with the M-nib Safari)
Gris the houle looks best on pure white paper. In my opinion, it doesn't look good on more yellowish paper. What really surprised me is that this premium ink only works well with premium paper. The ink doesn't like the lower quality papers in my test set. On printing paper, generic notepad paper and Moleskine, I noticed quite some feathering, which gets worse the wetter your pen. With the wet Pelikan pen, there is even some feathering with OCM vellum paper and GvFC 100 gsm paper. Ouch!  Another reason not to use this ink at the office (where the paper in reach is often simple printing paper). 

Fortunately for me, Gris de houle looks beautiful on Paperblanks journal paper, no feathering, good contrast, smooth writing and reasonable drying times. So this ink will be great for my personal journaling. But objectively speaking, the ink disappointed me at the technical level. I had expected better from a premium ink. The J. Herbin inks from the classic series I've tried so far performed better than this one.

fpn_1571482147__jacques_herbin_-_gris_de
fpn_1571482166__jacques_herbin_-_gris_de
fpn_1571482182__jacques_herbin_-_gris_de
fpn_1571482202__jacques_herbin_-_gris_de

Writing with different nib sizes
The picture below shows the effect of nib sizes on the writing. All samples were written with a Lamy Safari, which is typically a dry pen. I also added a visiting pen - a wet Pelikan M101N Lizard with an M-nib. Here the ink leaves a very saturated dark grey line. As you can see, Gris de houle manages to look really nice in all nib sizes, with great contrast and elegant shading. Nice. I really appreciate the pencil-like appearance with the EF/F nibs, which still shows enough contrast to remain effortlessly readable.

fpn_1571482218__jacques_herbin_-_gris_de

Related inks
To allow for a good comparison with related inks, I employ my nine-grid format, with the currently reviewed ink at the center. Each grid cell shows the name of the ink, a saturation sample, a 1-2-3 swab and a water resistance test - all in a very compact format. 

fpn_1571482235__jacques_herbin_-_gris_de

Inkxperiment - naïve portrait of mother and child
As a personal challenge, I try to create interesting drawings using only the ink I'm reviewing. These single-ink pieces often present a real challenge, and are a fun extension of the hobby. They also give you a good idea of an ink's capabilities in a more artistic setting. For this drawing I started with a sheet of 300 gsm rough watercolour paper. I then painted in the background with Q-tips, using different water/ink ratios. Next I drew the portrait of mother and child with a glass pen dipped in pure Gris de houle. As you can see, I have zero talent for drawing realistic images. So I designate this as a naïve portrait, that could just as easily have been drawn by a five year old ;-) I added some framing with the glass dip pen and pure ink. Finally I used my M-nibbed Lamy Safari to add some texture to the background. This little piece shows quite well the broad colour span of this grey ink, ranging from wispy light grey to almost black. Gris de houle definitely shows promise as a sketching ink for black & white drawings. 

fpn_1571482250__jacques_herbin_-_gris_de

Conclusion
Jacques Herbin Gris de houle is a nice-looking cool grey premium ink, that unfortunately requires  premium paper for writing. I was disappointed by its behaviour on lower quality paper. Water resistance is brilliant, but drying times are quite long. All this translates to an ink that is not well suited for use at the office. But given the right paper, the ink looks beautiful - I really enjoyed it for personal writing in my Paperblanks daily journal. Gris de houle also has quite a broad colour span, which makes it an interesting ink for more artistic activities. Overall not a bad ink, but I had epected more from the brand's premium product.

Technical test results on Rhodia N° 16 notepad paper, written with Lamy Safari, M-nib

fpn_1571482275__jacques_herbin_-_gris_de

Backside of writing samples on different paper types

fpn_1571482290__jacques_herbin_-_gris_de
fpn_1571482308__jacques_herbin_-_gris_de
fpn_1571482329__jacques_herbin_-_gris_de
fpn_1571482344__jacques_herbin_-_gris_de

Sponsored Content

#2 Lgsoltek

Lgsoltek

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,422 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 October 2019 - 11:53

Wonderful review, as always! GdH is one of the few grey inks that I enjoy a lot. For someone picky as me the wetness of this ink is quite satisfactory. 

(If you open the box from the bottom, you won't have to break the paper seal. :))

#3 Tasmith

Tasmith

Uff Da!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 October 2019 - 12:24

Great review!

#4 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

飽食終日無所用心

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• 3,678 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 October 2019 - 13:22

Thank you for the review! I'm tempted to get a bottle now.

As always:  1. Implicit in everything and every instance I write on FPN is the invitation for you to judge me as a peer in the community. I think it's only due respect to take each other's written word in online discussion seriously and apply critical judgment.  2. I do not presume to judge for you what is right, correct or valid. If I make a claim, or refute a statement in a thread, and link to references and other information in support, I beseech you to review and consider those, and judge for yourself. I may be wrong. My position or say-so carries no more weight than anyone else's here, and external parties can speak for themselves with what they have published.  3. I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable. If it is something you can test for yourself and see the results, I entreat you to do so.

#5 Jan2016

Jan2016

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 October 2019 - 15:20

Thanks again for an amazing review. Very thorough, and I like it that you always compare it with a lot of other inks.

#6 visper

visper

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 October 2019 - 16:29

Thanks for the review - I never heard actually of Jacques Herbin inks and now looking online after your review found some interesting colors. Grey is not really my color now but I really liked their Blues.

#7 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,258 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 October 2019 - 02:21

Jacques Herbin stuff is pretty... but I don't think I'll buy them at MSRP. They're going in the US for $25 a bottle, and that's a little high for less than 50mL

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

#8 visper

visper

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 October 2019 - 05:38

Anybody knows if they make their own inks or they buy white label from somebody?

#9 Jan2016

Jan2016

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,117 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 October 2019 - 09:35

As far as I know they make them themselves. I think it is one of the oldest brands in the market today.

it is a pity they dont´t have the "La perle des encres" anymore, I liked this series a lot.

BTW it is in the first line of the review....

#10 Lgsoltek

Lgsoltek

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,422 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 October 2019 - 09:59

As far as I know they make them themselves. I think it is one of the oldest brands in the market today.

it is a pity they dont´t have the "La perle des encres" anymore, I liked this series a lot.

BTW it is in the first line of the review....

The "Perle des encres" line still exists I think, under the J. Herbin brand name. 

#11 Jan2016

Jan2016

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,117 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 October 2019 - 11:29

Ah yes, found them!

jherbin.com

Funny because

jacquesherbin.com

doesn´t show them 

#12 Lgsoltek

Lgsoltek

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,422 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 October 2019 - 12:27

Ah yes, found them!

jherbin.com

Funny because

jacquesherbin.com

doesn´t show them 

It's like Faber-Castell and Graf von Faber-Castell. The one with the longer name is the high-end brand.

#13 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,258 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 October 2019 - 04:25

Anybody knows if they make their own inks or they buy white label from somebody?

All J herbin stuff is made themselves in france

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

#14 visper

visper

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 October 2019 - 05:16

Thanks Hineybadgers. I want to order their Blue Ocean ink to try.

#15 Rancho Gordo

Rancho Gordo

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 23:18

I bought a bottle based on this thread. 
I am a firm Earl Grey from Diamante fan but I was intrigued. 
The packaging feels nice but the ink feels thin. 
The act of writing was weird. I'm so used to thicker, more luxurious feeling inks. And as it writes, it was a total "meh" for me. 
But then it dries, and I am in love. It's weird and different and it feels as if you're writing historical documents, if that makes sense. I know it doesn't. But I've only just received my bottle and I can't wait to keep playing. 
thanks for bringing this ink to my attention. 

#16 Misfit

Misfit

Goddess of Inanimate Objects

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,278 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 23:43

I enjoyed your very thorough review, and the time you put in testing papers and nib sizes. Thank you so much.
Posted Image

#17 Rancho Gordo

Rancho Gordo

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 23:55

I should add that this ink was born to be in a Pelikan Stresemann. I feel I should be signing a treaty or trade deal. 

#18 nibtip

nibtip

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 October 2019 - 10:36

Herbin belongs  to the Exacompta-Clairefontaine group since 2003. 

The relatively new line, more expensive squared bottle inks, with or without glitter, are highlighted and the old line cheaper 30ml line inks are put in the background. 

They are said to be produced in Paris in a specific factory.

Edited by nibtip, 22 October 2019 - 10:37.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jacques herbin, gris de houle, grey, encres essentielles

Sponsored Content

|