The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Desk Pen Holder For Conid Kingsize?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 challer61

challer61

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 October 2019 - 12:17

This would make my life a lot easier. I have asked the factory twice and never heard back. If someone knows of a specific brand that will work for me, I would be very appreciative.

Sponsored Content

#2 Tasmith

Tasmith

Uff Da!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 October 2019 - 12:28

Something like this?  Penwell has received favorable reviews:

https://goodmadebetter.com/collections

Edited by Tasmith, 19 October 2019 - 12:39.

#3 BDarchitect

BDarchitect

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 October 2019 - 23:41

+1 for the Penwell choices by GoodMadeBetter.com

Really excellent pen holders.  I have one at my desk at work and at the end of the day I pull the pen and cap out to lie flat on the desk overnight so the feed doesn't stay saturated under head pressure of the ink reservoir all the time, though I don't think that is a serious issue anyway. 

I also own a traveling version that doesn't get as much use but is equally well made and versatile.

#4 cunim

cunim

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 October 2019 - 13:24

The Kingsize will fit the Penwell.

fpn_1571923394__pw.jpg

#5 challer61

challer61

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 October 2019 - 22:31

But not exactly a pen holder of the desk pen variety I was hoping for. As I understand it, one is still unscrewing and screwing the pen to the cap each time you want to use it, very much unlike a true FP desk pen holder. 

#6 BDarchitect

BDarchitect

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 October 2019 - 03:00

You have to unscrew the cap from the pen no matter what; it shouldn't matter whether you use one hand or two.  The Penwell advantage is that you can leave the cap pressed into the holder and remove the pen with just one hand.

Edited by BDarchitect, 25 October 2019 - 03:02.

#7 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,847 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 October 2019 - 00:27

Not quite true for pen holders. I think the OP is describing a hybrid well that was common with a bunch of more vintage pens - my sheaffer snorkel desk pen doesn't need to be screwed in during the day, just set into the holder, since its "lip" extends beyond the cap threads on the pen itself (which can take a normal statesman cap as well) so you can just pull it out and use it during the day, no twisting needed, and at the end of the day, twist it to screw it down and keep the nib from drying out.

I actually think the cap of a conid would work this way with the Penwell as well, just set it back inside its cap as you use it during the day, and screw it down when you're done. 

But since the conid kingsize is a screw cap, there's no way to make a "slip cap" holder short of something totally custom.

The downside of "True" desk pen holders (which lots of them were screw-down to keep them more economical and reliable - I have esterbrooks with no screw in setup and my sheaffer that is) is that they can be prone to drying out quickly. My estie desk pens dry out by the end of every month, whereas my sheaffer routinely goes six months without needing ink because I can screw it down when I won't be regularly needing it - it runs out before it dries out.

Even my "Well designed" holders for desk pens like the platinum desk pens, both my gold nib and steel nib ones, marble and plastic base, are prone to drying out.

You do really want one that can be screwed down.

Edited by Honeybadgers, 26 October 2019 - 00:30.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Sponsored Content

|