Testing Cotton Paper This Time

pitonyak

This paper review covers Cotton paper from Neenah. I was very pleased with the results.

Previously, I looked at some printer paper, mostly HP and I found some great paper:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/349274-recommendation-for-fpn-friendly-paper-from-costcosams-clubetc/

• HP 32 lb Premium Choice Laserjet My preferred paper
  • HP 24 lb MultiPurpose Very nice
  • HP 58 lb Glossy Photo Laser Dries slowly
  • HP 28 lb Soft Gloss Presentation Parallel tried to bleed through
  • Hammermill 20 lb Pastels Cream I would write a single sided letter with a fine nib.

Next I tested a few spiral notebooks and Legal pads. I decided that you want the cheap Staples Yellow pad as the clear winner:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/349508-good-staples-pad-and-bad-pads-spirals-and-stenos/

• ampad.com Efficiency Steno Pad recycled paper Extreme feather and bleed through Avoid USA
  • OfficeMax Steno notebook Extreme feather and bleed through Avoid USA
  • Norcominc.com #77070 70 sheet spiral Ink matters Usable USA Norcominc.com #77070 70 sheet spiral Ink matters Usable Brazil
  • Norcominc.com #77070 70 sheet spiral Sustainable Extreme feather and bleed through Avoid Mexico
  • Greenbrier 3 subject spiral Extreme feather and bleed through Avoid India
  • Staples Signa white pad Bad feather, ink matters Avoid
  • Staples Signa Yellow pad Some feather, ink matters Usable
  • Staples Cheap Yellow pad Low feather, buy this Nice

This time around I am looking at Cotton paper from Neenah.

https://www.neenahpaper.com/

I purchased sample packs of five sheets each. When choosing what I wanted to look at, I first contacted them and asked them about fountain pen friendly paper. The usual response is that they have no idea. Instead, they replied as follows:

customer.service@neenah.com

We have a few brands that we’ve heard positive feedback on from calligraphers.

“Your Linen Papers don't seem to be very well known in the calligraphy world, but they are a Dream to work with. They absorb the ink readily enough that it doesn't smudge or take forever to dry, but they don't let the ink bleed through to the other side of the pages, and THEY DON'T catch. Ironically, most of the papers recommended for calligraphy get caught on the nib so you end up with a little inky cotton ball at the end of your pen.”

We have heard good feedback as well on Gilbert paper- Light cockle finish for fountain pens as well.

Otherwise Classic Crest Super Smooth papers or Neenah 100% Cotton Papers.

We have some options, so I’d recommend getting samples and trying some out to see what your preference is.

Samples can be ordered on the website. At the top, hover over Brands. Select a brand from the drop-down. You’ll see color ship options, click on the color chip under the finish of your choice. Our samples come pre-packed 5 sheets per pack (or by individual sheet in some cases). You can then choose your weight and size for samples. Samples are $1.55 per pack and there is a limit of 10 sample items per order.

Please let us know if you have any other questions!

These are the papers that I chose to get samples. Every single one of these papers is usable with a fountain pen. I would NOT get the Letterpress surface because it is really scratchy and my pens in general did NOT like writing on the paper. Ink performed well on the paper, but my pens complained loudly. This was not a paper that they recommend I try, but I wanted to see what Letterpress meant.

There is a “smoothness” measure, which I pulled from their web site. I am not familiar with this, but, it seems that a lower number is smoother and usually works better with fountain pens because it drags on the nib less. This means that I liked the Classic Crest super smooth papers the best followed by the smooth papers.

• SKU 915839, Cotton, Letterpress, Fluorescent White, 80 lb, Smooth: 400, Too rough for me.
  • SKU 915797, Cotton, Smooth, Fluorescent White, 90 lb, Smooth: 140, Works well, Love It.
  • SKU 915803, Cotton, Wove, Fluorescent White, 28 lb, Smooth: 300
  • SKU 915801, Cotton, Wove, Fluorescent White, 24 lb, Smooth: 300
  • SKU 915817, Cotton, Smooth, Pearl White, 90 lb, Smooth: 140
  • SKU 903243, Classic Crest, Super Smooth, Avon Brilliant White, 80 lb, Smooth: 65, favorite
  • SKU 903223, Classic Crest, Super Smooth, Natural White, 70 lb, Smooth: 65, favorite
  • SKU 901000, Gilbert, 25% cotton, White Cockle, 24 lb, Smooth: 320
  • SKU 900971FRP, Gilbert, 25% cotton, White Cockle, 20 lb, Smooth: 320
  • SKU 903385, Classic Crest, Super Smooth, Avalanche White, 24 lb, Smooth: 80, Love It

Just so we are clear, all of these papers are usable, and much probably comes down to preference and how your specific paper works with it. I do not like the Letterpress just because it is too rough for me to use.

SKU 915839, Cotton, Letterpress, Fluorescent White, 80 lb, Smooth: 400, Too rough for me.

See the skips? This is because the pen had trouble going over the paper, this has nothing to do with the paper dealing with the ink. I won't use this paper with fountain pens. Note that it was not recommended for use, but I wanted to see what it was.

cotton_sample_06a-S.jpg

cotton_sample_06-X2.jpg

SKU 915797, Cotton, Smooth, Fluorescent White, 90 lb, Smooth: 140, Works well, Love It.

cotton_sample_08a-M.jpg

cotton_sample_08-X2.jpg

SKU 915803, Cotton, Wove, Flourescent White, 28 lb, Smooth: 300

cotton_sample_01a-M.jpg

cotton_sample_01-X3.jpg

SKU 915801, Cotton, Wove, Flourescent White, 24 lb, Smooth: 300

cotton_sample_02a-S.jpg

cotton_sample_02-X3.jpg

SKU 915817, Cotton, Smooth, Pearl White, 90 lb, Smooth: 140

My EF Pelikan was more difficult to use with this paper than all of my other pens, which were just fine. As you can see, the feathering characteristics are fine.

cotton_sample_07a-Th.jpg

cotton_sample_07-X2.jpg

SKU 903243, Classic Crest Super Smooth, Avon Brilliant White, 80 lb, Smooth: 65

cotton_sample_09a-S.jpg

cotton_sample_09-X2.jpg

SKU 903223, Classic Crest Super Smooth, Natural White, 70 lb, Smooth: 65

cotton_sample_10a-S.jpg

cotton_sample_10-X2.jpg

SKU 901000, Gilbert, 25% cotton, White Cockle, 24 lb, Smooth: 320

The paper is a bit “toothy” but I had no problem using it. I prefer a smoother paper. Better than the woven cotton for how it felt to me. You can write on both sides of this paper.

cotton_sample_04a-S.jpg

cotton_sample_04-X3.jpg

SKU 900971FRP, Gilbert, 25% cotton, White Cockle, 20 lb, Smooth: 320

Similar in behavior to the 24 pound version of this.

The paper is a bit “toothy” but I had no problem using it. I prefer a smoother paper. Better than the woven cotton for how it felt to me. Not recommended if writing on both sides, use the 24lb version.

cotton_sample_05a-S.jpg

cotton_sample_05-X3.jpg

SKU 903385, Classic Crest Super Smooth, Avalanche White, 24 lb, Smooth: 80, Love It

I love this paper. The Pilot parallel ink tries to soak through. Some minimal feathering with Noodler’s EEL Blue. Usable for double sided, but, with 24lb paper, the Gilbert paper has less show through.

cotton_sample_03a-M.jpg

cotton_sample_03-X3.jpg

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pitonyak

• inkstainedruth

• sansenri

• WalterC

Top Posters In This Topic

Very comprehensive. Thanks for doing this.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Thinking about reviewing some note cards with envelopes. I have some cheap sets from Amazon that I purchased for when I work with kids and let them write personal thank you notes with the fountain pens that I gave them. I also have my current personal favorite from the "Original Crown Mill" is a 4" x 6" set with 50 cards and 50 envelopes.

I am trying to figure out what Neenah has to offer in this regard. I believe that I can buy these directly from Staples, but, if I order directly, I can get pretty much anything that I want; for example:

https://www.neenahpaper.com/shop/envelopes/classic-crest-papers-solar-white-super-smooth-1000680?brand=classic%20crest%C2%AE%20papers

• 2 years later...

Thanks for this great review. It is most interesting and useful.

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.