My First Vp

SquelchB

So, I really wanted to try out a Vanishing Point to see what is all the hype about. It arrived on Friday and I have to say I fell in love with it immediately. It's a little too soon to form some strong opinions on its durability and reliability, but offhand I have to say the nib is velvet smooth (it's an F), the overall finish is very well-made and the pen just oozes the air of quality.

And, yeah, I had to have the Raden, because it's just so beautiful...

post-11488-0-79500500-1571215085_thumb.jpg

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MRose

• SquelchB

• cellmatrix

• seattlefrenchman

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oohhh. I have that pen too. The raden is quite pretty. Makes the pen stand out. Not so sure the anything other than a VP stealth should be offered up by Vader.

It's one thing about Pilot pens they seem to come with really well set nibs.

Enjoy.

It's a great pen I just wish it had a bit more ink capacity.

That is true. I don't write that much, so the capacity itself is not a problem, but the steel cartridge guard (you know, the sleeve you put on it) makes it a bit complicated to check the ink level. Also, the package lacked any sort of instructions - I would have no idea to use the thing as a cartridge guard if I hadn't stumbled onto that here.

That is true. I don't write that much, so the capacity itself is not a problem, but the steel cartridge guard (you know, the sleeve you put on it) makes it a bit complicated to check the ink level. Also, the package lacked any sort of instructions - I would have no idea to use the thing as a cartridge guard if I hadn't stumbled onto that here.

Yeah I agree with all of that. Also my nib is M and seems to write quite wet. Super smooth, but it's definitely something I know to check daily at home if I'm doing a lot of writing.

All that said it's super convenient especially for taking notes or anything where you are constantly stop-starting. On top of the cool factor of pushing the button and seeing a nib come out instead of the usual ballpoint tip.

That is true. I don't write that much, so the capacity itself is not a problem, but the steel cartridge guard (you know, the sleeve you put on it) makes it a bit complicated to check the ink level.

I stopped using the cart guard after the first time I used it. Never had a problem with "unguarded" cartridges in my VPs.

I stopped using the cart guard after the first time I used it. Never had a problem with "unguarded" cartridges in my VPs.

Thanks, good to know.

• 4 weeks later...

That is a beautiful pen, specially if Darth Vader is involved LOL...no serieuosly the pen is beyond beautiful is GORGEOUS!!!!

I've finally jump in to the quality founatin pens, I've been guilty of buying cheap fountain pens in the past and I've felt the need to take a bigger step. I've ordered a Pilot Vanishing Point in black, it looks so elegant and I need a warrior for the day to day work and this is the "chosen one". It will arrived today so I'm very exited about it, my biggest concerned though is what kind of ink I can use with this pen. The majority of the inks that I have are Noodlers but we all know how crazy these inks can be, I was looking at some of the Instagram pictures and no one absolutely no one was using Noodler's with their PVP. How ever I've done some research and every one says that any ink works great with this fountain pen. (No, I will not use Noodlers Baystate Blue with this pen, no way!)

So that makes me think that I need a much better qualitity ink, can you guys advice me on what ink is good for this pen with out having any issues? Thank in advance...

Edited by MRose

FP's: Noodler's Charlie Pen, Noodler's King Philip Ahab, JinHao X450 Blue, JinHao X750 Gold, Jinhao 599 Transparent, Hero 366 Green, Hero 9626, Hero 329-A Jinhao Shark Black and Green,Jinhao 992 Coffee, Lamy Safari Black, Lanbitou /2 Transparent/ 1 Black /1 Red/1 Beige, Hero 9075 Black, Twsbi Go Saphire, Jinhao Porcelain Horses, Pilot Vanishing Point Black
INKS: Noodler's Heart of Darkness - Baystate Blue - Apache Sunset - Bullet Proof Black - Blue Nose Bear - Black Swan In Australian Roses - Widow Maker - 54th Massachusetts - Navajo Turquoise - Burning Rome - General of The Armies
OTHER INKS: Thortons - Green / Pelikan-Blue / J. Herbin 1670- Ocean Blue / Diamine Skulls and Roses

Very nice! Congrats!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Congratulations! May I ask where you bought it and at what price? (You can send a private message if you prefer.) I am looking for a water surface myself.

So that makes me think that I need a much better qualitity ink, can you guys advice me on what ink is good for this pen with out having any issues? Thank in advance...

I've only used Pilot, Diamine and Waterman in mine but I haven't tried Noodler's yet. One of the appeals of the VP for me is the easily swappable nib units. Sure they are costly and others can too swap with screw in JoWo or friction fit Bock, but the convenience of clean nib unit replacement is nice insurance if blown on troublesome inks.

Congratulations! May I ask where you bought it and at what price? (You can send a private message if you prefer.) I am looking for a water surface myself.

Thank you so much! I've got mine from Amazon, the price was $90 the pen is by far amazing but I'm still debating what ink to use. I'm using the ink that it brings with the cartridge and I've ordered a converter so soon I can try a ink of my choice.

FP's: Noodler's Charlie Pen, Noodler's King Philip Ahab, JinHao X450 Blue, JinHao X750 Gold, Jinhao 599 Transparent, Hero 366 Green, Hero 9626, Hero 329-A Jinhao Shark Black and Green,Jinhao 992 Coffee, Lamy Safari Black, Lanbitou /2 Transparent/ 1 Black /1 Red/1 Beige, Hero 9075 Black, Twsbi Go Saphire, Jinhao Porcelain Horses, Pilot Vanishing Point Black
INKS: Noodler's Heart of Darkness - Baystate Blue - Apache Sunset - Bullet Proof Black - Blue Nose Bear - Black Swan In Australian Roses - Widow Maker - 54th Massachusetts - Navajo Turquoise - Burning Rome - General of The Armies
OTHER INKS: Thortons - Green / Pelikan-Blue / J. Herbin 1670- Ocean Blue / Diamine Skulls and Roses

I've only used Pilot, Diamine and Waterman in mine but I haven't tried Noodler's yet. One of the appeals of the VP for me is the easily swappable nib units. Sure they are costly and others can too swap with screw in JoWo or friction fit Bock, but the convenience of clean nib unit replacement is nice insurance if blown on troublesome inks.

I agree, this pen makes it easy for you to fix if any problem arise with any inks. Is beautiful though and very comfortable in the hand for me. I've been getting allot of compliments for the pen but I do for every pen I owe so that makes me happy :)

Very nice! Congrats!

Thank you :)

Thank you so much! I've got mine from Amazon, the price was $90 the pen is by far amazing but I'm still debating what ink to use. I'm using the ink that it brings with the cartridge and I've ordered a converter so soon I can try a ink of my choice.

There are many beautiful inks to use, you'll love having a converter. My fingers are currently a bright magenta after a yama-budo ink spill. (See a bunch of Pilot ink reviews on this forum, though of course you are not limited to Pilot inks at all.)

$90 is an amazing price, you lucked out! Shops like Goulet etc. have it for $800 (probably due to scarcity; it used to be easily found for $620, though apparently when there were a lot of them prices briefly dipped to around $300) and the water surface I bought in Tokyo two days ago was $470.

Edited by seattlefrenchman

No secret here. I bought it from P. W. Akkermann (based in The Hague, Netherlands) online store for €610, meaning about 680 bucks. Yes, I really wanted it ;)

• 1 month later...

How about using ink that was made for the VP - Pilot blue black - great color, easy to clean (unlike many noodlers inks), totally water resistant, flows perfect in a VP as you would expect, cheap. A 350 ml bottle- $25 on Amazon.

For a long time now, pilot blue black has been my only ink and an 8 year old black stealth VP has been my only pen (scratched up and battered as it is, it still writes beautifully)

I recommend to get a box of pilot blue black cartridges and if you like the color then get the 350 ml bottle.

Here's what I do: periodically decant from the large bottle into an intermediate 10 to 50 ml size glass bottle and refill empty cartridges from the intermediate bottle, using a narrow plastic pipette you can get at an art store. That way the 350ml bottle stays protected from evaporation and contamination and will last many years.

That's fine if you use cartridges once and throw away. But if you refill them, they'll last through more refills if you use the metal guard.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to confirm, you paid $90 USD for a VP raden?? Mind sharing the retailer name (from amazon)?