The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Personal Point Equipoise Type 4B Going To Need Some Love

equipoise personal point wahl eversharp type 4

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Addertooth

Addertooth

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 October 2019 - 02:53

I saw this pen on eBay, and could not resist.  It looks to need a new sac, a full polish and re-plating to fix all of the brassing, especially on the tassies (rings at both ends of the pen).  This will probably take a few months of working with it a few minutes intermittently, but I suspect it will be rather nice when complete.  

If I have the identity wrong, feel free to straighten me out.  

fpn_1571107849__equipose_decoband.jpg

fpn_1571107900__equipose_decoband2.jpg

fpn_1571107973__personal_point_equi-pois

Sponsored Content

#2 FrozenPen

FrozenPen

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 October 2019 - 21:17

Can you share your re-plating technique?

#3 Addertooth

Addertooth

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 October 2019 - 00:17

I posted a "plating 101" on the repairs forum.  But I will give the cliff notes here...

Step one, hand polish the metal.  The final finish well never be smoother and cleaner after the plating, than it was before the plating.

Put on latex or Nitrile gloves.

Clean the area you are about to plate to get all of the human oils off it. Whether it is hard rubber, celluloid, etc... will determine your allowed cleaning agent.   Be sure to rinse with distilled water.

Mask and protect the non-metal parts of your pen barrel and cap.  Some plating solutions can damage pen bodies and caps.  

Based upon what you are plating, you may choose to do Brush plating, over dip or bath plating.

If Brass is the base metal, plate with Nickle first, then plate with gold... follow the instructions on your electroplating kit.

Polish the plated surface with a jewelers cloth... sometimes the plating looks undesirable when it first leaves the bath, a bit of polish reveals the beauty of the gold plating.

Remove the masking from the pen body and cap.

enjoy, admire... get a friend to pat you on the back. 

#4 FrozenPen

FrozenPen

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 October 2019 - 13:58

Got it. Thanks. And I found your 101 article:

http://www.fountainp...id-of-brassing/

I didn't realize I could get professional (after a lot of practice, I'm sure) results at home. 

More things to add to my todo list.

#5 Addertooth

Addertooth

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 October 2019 - 05:22

Virtually every craft known to man can be mastered at home.   There are some people out there producing beautiful pens, out of their garage.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: equipoise, personal point, wahl, eversharp, type 4

Sponsored Content

|