• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amk

• sirgilbert357

• Olya

• chromantic

I don't know whether there was any announcement, but I have been told this by a couple of vendors (informally at pen shows), and it seems there has been a decline in reports of cracking on the forums, too.

I suspect Pelikan wouldn't have chosen to issue the new series of pink, turquoise, white transparent, and violet M40Xs unless they had full confidence in the formulation they are now using. (But then, sometimes companies do weird and wonderful things that don't bear much relation to sustainable long term strategy... that's just my reading of the situation.)

Cool. Shame the M200 size doesn't work for me then. It's beautiful...

The m2xx aren't made of binde, they are pure resin pens.

Do you have any further information? Is the marble effect possible with injection molding? Are they polished the same way as the pens with a binde? Just curious, its such a seamless design of different materials.

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

All I can think is …… why white? Why not cocoa, chocolate, beige, or even something tending toward yellow, (warm honey?) or even a different color green, (alt gold gruen?) green and brown go well together. This thing they have with white, it sort of throws me off.

It's more or less the same color combination as the white tortoiseshell M400, which is well liked. I'm a fan of the creamy white with this M200 design.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

DrCodfish I never thought about that. Its an interesting idea, they certainly have introduced many colors on the M20x pens thus far. Toledo Red, Taupe, Yellow, and Cafe Creme to name a few. I think it would agree that this white pen is a nod to the very well received White Tortoise. But nothing is stopping them from a green gold color combination. Perhaps they just have not thought of it. Perhaps they did a prototype of that sort and the results were not to their liking. It is hard to be sure what drives their selection process. However, the marketing director was interviewed saying they were definitely trying to work with a white series nodding to the White Transparent, White Turquoise, Pink, and Violet M60xs. Perhaps this is their way of offering the style at a lower price point.

Gobblecup ~

Do you have any further information? Is the marble effect possible with injection molding? Are they polished the same way as the pens with a binde? Just curious, its such a seamless design of different materials.

No further information, only that it is all resin.

I suppose the production is the same as the all resin higher models, the higher Souvaren models don't come exclusively with a binde, but some (or all?) used to be and still are available as LEs and SEs as full resin models, I think some of those are part of their regular line-up (the solid colour black ones with ink windows definitely are, but blue ones used to be available as well, I think the recent orange, stone garden etc etc are also resin and not binde? Not sure here at all though).

The Stone Garden is definitely a binde I would think, its cellulose acetate and has a seam from where it is wrapped to make a cylinder. Not so sure about the orange as I do not have one to look at.

Gobblecup ~

My Stone Garden does not have a seam that I can see. Nor does the orange marmalade.

Of course, my loupe is as old as I am, so compound margin of error could lead me astray ;)

edit: yes, indeed that is the case... different light, different loupe, and the seam on the Stone Garden comes into view...

Edited by BillH

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

It's a beautiful pen and I just placed my pre-order for mine with The Writing Desk this afternoon. Nice lower cost compliment to my M400 White Tortoise.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

How long are Pelikan SEs & LEs in production/ available? A year?

Because these aren't numbered, so it isn't a limited batch (along with the Star Ruby).