The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Glow In The Dark Ink?

glow-in-the-dark spooky retro51 ink

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 essayfaire

essayfaire

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 October 2019 - 23:15

So the new Retro 51 glow-in-the-dark pen has got me thinking about glow-in-the-dark ink.  I haven't seen any.  We already have some invisible ink, but that's different.  Glow-in-the-dark items that I own (novelty clothes, watch markings) are visible in daylight but glow when it's dark; quite different from invisible except under UV light.

I thought if such an ink existed, it would make a fun Halloween gift.  Does anyone know of one?

Edited by essayfaire, 14 October 2019 - 23:15.

“It's bad enough wasting time without killing it.”
Norton Juster, The Phantom Tollbooth

Sponsored Content

#2 ardene

ardene

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 865 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 October 2019 - 23:31

Check this older thread, you might find something useful. http://www.fountainp...ic/116934-glow/

#3 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,833 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 October 2019 - 18:25

Some of the Noodler's inks do have a UV component to them, but I don't remember which ones (I mean besides Blue Ghost, which is ONLY visible under black light).  I want to say Qui Shi Hwang is one of them, but don't quote me on that.  There's a chart on the Noodler's website showing the different characteristics of the different inks: bulletproof -- i.e., cellulose reactive (meaning it bonds with the paper); UV resistant, forgery-resistant, etc.  And I think there's a column for inks that shine under a black light.   You could check there.

I scrolled briefly through the link that ardenne provided, and the problem is that it's a decade old thread.  The last post says that Nathan Tardif did come up with such an ink, but couldn't find a market for it.  But of course that was probably before Blue Ghost came out.  And CERTAINLY before QSH came out....

Okay, I just checked their website for the link: http://noodlersink.c...erties-2019.pdf

and it turns out I was right about QSH.  But apparently El Lawrence ALSO has a UV component to it (who knew?) as well as some other inks, including some of the highlighter inks.  I'm afraid that's the best that I know of.  

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#4 essayfaire

essayfaire

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 October 2019 - 00:18

Thanks for the replies; from the checking I have done it seems as if the Noodlers which shine under black light is the closest there is.  Perhaps someone will read this post and start production.

#5 wallylynn

wallylynn

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 14:27

Maybe the older type glow would work.  I read that the new high-output glow powders do not like water.  Even then, the glow will be faint.  I have some of the paint, and it needs a non-trivial thick layer to see the glow.  But the full jar, ooh boy that thing shines!

#6 Noihvo

Noihvo

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,561 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 October 2019 - 18:20

fpn_1571336397__img_5493.jpg

"We are one."

– G'Kar, The Declaration of Principles

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

Are you looking for a custom bound book? Check out my Etsy page.

#7 Bibliophage

Bibliophage

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 21:14

They still make the stickers.   My 10 year old daughter has a glow in the dark butterfly on her wall.

#8 essayfaire

essayfaire

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 October 2019 - 16:56

They still make the stickers.   My 10 year old daughter has a glow in the dark butterfly on her wall.

They also make glow-in-the dark shirts, boxers, and pjs.

#9 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 16,833 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 October 2019 - 04:05

Glow in the dark BOXERS?  I don't think I really needed to know that....  :huh: 

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#10 Nyanzilla

Nyanzilla

=^.^=

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 October 2019 - 07:43

I had glowing stars on the ceiling of my room. Looks very nice in the night.

For fountain pen inks it will be difficult to make them as they must contain particles in a high concentration (like white inks). Or radioactive substances like Radium or Promethium which won't comply with actual legislation for product safety.

"On the internet nobody knows you're a cat." =^.^=

#11 Oldane

Oldane

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 October 2019 - 10:22

Hony sois qui mal y pense.  :-)

#12 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 16,833 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 October 2019 - 15:05

Yeah, right.  That's the motto for the Order of the Garter, isn't it?  "Evil to them who evil thinks" is I believe how it translates.  [Google Translate is good for modern French; Middle French, not so much....]

#13 Bibliophage

Bibliophage

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 16:08

I had glowing stars on the ceiling of my room. Looks very nice in the night.

For fountain pen inks it will be difficult to make them as they must contain particles in a high concentration (like white inks). Or radioactive substances like Radium or Promethium which won't comply with actual legislation for product safety.

Even radium (radium dials) required a phosphor on top of them   That's the main risk with antique clocks with radium dials.  it's not that they're really more dangerous - they aren't - the radiation doesn't go very far.   it's that the phosphor degrades and then particles start floating around the air.   THAT'S dangerous.

#14 Charles Rice

Charles Rice

Mr. Pink

• Member - Gold

• 2,189 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 October 2019 - 18:32

Glow in the dark ink is simple to make.  Just add some radium dust to the bottle and shake well.  If you can't find any at your local hardware store, you can scrape off some from old glow in the dark watches.  

The nice thing about glow in the dark ink is that I can write letters late at night with the lights off so as not to wake Carol.  

#15 ardene

ardene

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 865 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 October 2019 - 20:19

Hony sois qui mal y pense.  :-)

Yeah, right.  That's the motto for the Order of the Garter, isn't it?  "Evil to them who evil thinks" is I believe how it translates.  [Google Translate is good for modern French; Middle French, not so much....]

Without honour (honi) will be/let be (soit) who (qui) bad (mal) thinks (pense) of it (y).

#16 Bibliophage

Bibliophage

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 20:27

Glow in the dark ink is simple to make.  Just add some radium dust to the bottle and shake well.  If you can't find any at your local hardware store, you can scrape off some from old glow in the dark watches.  

The nice thing about glow in the dark ink is that I can write letters late at night with the lights off so as not to wake Carol.  

Again, the radium particles have to be coated in phosphor.   It converts the invisible radiation to visible light.  

Just put in a black light, and write with UV dye ink.   Make sure it's not UV-C.  

#17 essayfaire

essayfaire

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 October 2019 - 00:42

There, there; J. Crew sells them for kids. ;)

#18 Bibliophage

Bibliophage

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 02:07

They could have been tightie-whities.   (or would they be tightie-yellow-greenies, in this case?)

#19 thx1138

thx1138

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 October 2019 - 14:52

Does plutonium glow in the dark?

There is probably plenty of excess plutonium laying around in Russian and American warehouses.

#20 Charles Rice

Charles Rice

Mr. Pink

• Member - Gold

• 2,189 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 October 2019 - 15:05

Does plutonium glow in the dark?

There is probably plenty of excess plutonium laying around in Russian and American warehouses.

You might want to check eBay for some.  But be careful.  Lots of fake plutonium out there.   Best bet would be "Nukes are Us".

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: glow-in-the-dark, spooky, retro51, ink

Sponsored Content

|