• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom Kellie

• inkstainedruth

• Intensity

• Billingsgate

I love my Metropolitan Retro Pop Gray fine nib. I use it with Noodler's Black. It's the pen I use the most, despite having numerous costlier writing implements.

My wife also caught the fountain pen bug after trying my Metropolitan, and now she has a purple fine nib at home and an orange medium nib one in her office, which never fails to impress her clients. When I suggested getting her a more elegant professional use pen, like a Pelikan Souveran, she tells me not to bother. Nothing could please her more than her orange Metropolitan.

• 2 weeks later...

fpn_1572351782__more_from_eslite_spectru

More From Shenzhen's Eslite Spectrum Writing Boutique

fpn_1572351980__special_order.jpg

By Special Order

fpn_1572352126__a_second_pilot_metropoli

A Second Pilot Metropolitan Fountain Pen

fpn_1572352284__pilot_pen_and_ink.jpg

Pilot Pen and Ink

fpn_1572352438__pilot_metropolitan_anima

Pilot Metropolitan Animal Collection Violet Leopard

fpn_1572352612__violet_leopard_f_nib.jpg

Violet Leopard «F» Nib

fpn_1572352836__violet_leopard_note.jpg

• 2 months later...

~ Both of these Pilot Metropolitans have been reliable writers.

Earlier today I recommended a Pilot Metropolitan to a friend who wants such a fountain pen exclusively for writing in black ink.

Tom K.

Funny, I didn't like the F nib when I first went to get a Metropolitan -- I found it scratchy, so I ended up getting a medium nib on mine instead (I got it a few years ago Christmas at Bromfield's up in Boston, so I was able to try out both a fine and medium). I really like mine a lot.

I keep thinking I'd like to try one of the stub nibs, but haven't decided what color to get (I'm not wild about the trim designs about the sections on the Retro Pop pens for the most part). I wish they'd issue some of the cool barrel colors WITHOUT the dorky detailing (mine is a plain silver color one).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Great to see your pictorial reviews of more pens and inks, Tom!

. . . .

Re: nibs. I noticed that some people find any feedback at all “scratchy”, while others like feedback. I love nibs that have feedback for fine lines myself. I actually find my Fine Pilot VP to be too smooth compared to my Sailor F and EF (but it still has some feedback). It’s more difficult to control being so fine, especially with more lubricating inks and because the pen is heavy so has higher inertia. A scratchy nib to me is one with alignment issues or tipping grind defects. I was just reading a review of a Faber-Castell pen (known for smooth nibs) where the reviewer detected what they called a “hint of feedback” and immediately had to use micromesh to get the glass-smooth feel :D To each their own!

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

Funny, I didn't like the F nib when I first went to get a Metropolitan -- I found it scratchy, so I ended up getting a medium nib on mine instead (I got it a few years ago Christmas at Bromfield's up in Boston, so I was able to try out both a fine and medium). I really like mine a lot.

I keep thinking I'd like to try one of the stub nibs, but haven't decided what color to get (I'm not wild about the trim designs about the sections on the Retro Pop pens for the most part). I wish they'd issue some of the cool barrel colors WITHOUT the dorky detailing (mine is a plain silver color one).

~ inkstainedruth:

I'm glad that you found a nib which suited your preferences.

A silver model sounds attractive.

Tom K.

. . . .

Re: nibs. I noticed that some people find any feedback at all “scratchy”, while others like feedback. I love nibs that have feedback for fine lines myself. I actually find my Fine Pilot VP to be too smooth compared to my Sailor F and EF (but it still has some feedback). It’s more difficult to control being so fine, especially with more lubricating inks and because the pen is heavy so has higher inertia. A scratchy nib to me is one with alignment issues or tipping grind defects. I was just reading a review of a Faber-Castell pen (known for smooth nibs) where the reviewer detected what they called a “hint of feedback” and immediately had to use micromesh to get the glass-smooth feel :D To each their own!

~ Intensity:

Thank you so much!

Feedback keeps me in touch with reality.

Tom K.

. . . .

Trust me. I know the difference between "feedback" and "scratchy". And that was scratchy....

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Trust me. I know the difference between "feedback" and "scratchy". And that was scratchy....

~ inkstainedruth:

It's really a shame that it was scratchy.

Do fountain pen users share the philosophy of Ma Kettle (Marjorie Main)?

I itch...so I scratch...so what?

Tom K.

I dunno. I'm not THAT old. :rolleyes: But I'm glad that I actually went to a B&M shop so I could try both the F and M.

That was actually a pretty good day. Got the pen, some ink, and a French ruled Clairefontaine notebook there at Bromfield's up in Boston. Okay, Noodler's Qui She Huang turned out to be a mistake, because it feathered on every paper I tried, but the bottle of Caran d'Ache Grand Canyon, which has been discontinued, was half off and it's a really nice brown. Then, in the next block as I was walking back up Bromfield Street on my way back to the T station, I passed a place that mostly sold sports memorabilia and something in the window caught my eye. Turned out to be a display/sales card for Esterbrook dip pen nibs with two holders. Ten bucks! after that place, I went up to Cambridge to Bob Slate's in Harvard Square to poke around, and bought a Miquelrius 200 sheet journal, just to try (liked it so well that I now bulk order the 300 sheet ones, a dozen or so at a time, for doing morning pages. Even at 600 pages, I still go through more than one a year. :huh:

• 4 months later...

~ inkstainedruth:

It's inspiring to know that you're going through around two sheets per day throughout the year.

Your pens and inks are fortunate to be regularly used.

I've never counted how much I write per year.

That might be a project for 2021.

Among others, I've been using Japanese MD paper with pleasing results for all inks used.

Tom K.