The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Opus 88 Demo - Leak/overflow

opus demo demonstrator leak overflow feed

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 KingRoach

KingRoach

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 October 2019 - 00:02

Hi all. Can I get some Opus 88 Demo users together please?

I've had a long bad experience with these pens. Had 2 of them that leaked. You'd find the section full of ink and suddenly you have ink on your fingers in a meeting, etc. etc. At first I was looking for leaks inside the section, but I think it was something else.

The feed, or the underside of the nib, would get overflow of ink, to the point where the feed collector is full. When capped this would fall into the cap and back into the section. So the main problem is overflow in the feed.

I've had the pen replaced by Opus, which was nice of them, but the new pen does that, only much slower. Hold the pen downwards and, long as the rear knob is slightly open, the feed will very slowly begin to fill up.

I want to ask if others are having, or can observe, similar phenomenon.

I know the pen in your case may not actually drop the ink eventually, but if you can only use a light to look at the underside of your Jowo nib to see if the ink is controlled in the channel or filling up the underside, that would help me.

I have a video I will add when I get a chance.

Many thanks for anyone who gives me some input.

Sponsored Content

#2 Mech-for-i

Mech-for-i

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,861 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 October 2019 - 09:47

OK, fill the pen last night, leave it over night, and this morning get it out to check it under a loupe , yes there is ink saturating the feed but its not like being an overflow, just that the ink is there, mind that I had the shut off valve open for the night , I wager if I had it turn to closed position and leave it nib up after writing, it likely could not get that saturation of ink , don;t know if it would drop ink or not , had to work it a bit to see , with ED pen of any sort this can happen, just the weight of the ink pushing is enough to force a flow ; my experience is that the nib and feed need to be well tuned and pushed in tight to be sure it will not do had any of these issue

Edited by Mech-for-i, 16 October 2019 - 09:47.

#3 KingRoach

KingRoach

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 October 2019 - 00:44

Thanks. One of my pens was surely faulty anyway, it was pouring ink all the way out causing the leaks. That pen has been replaced by Opus and I'm now observing the new pen, which is having these smaller "saturations". I'm now being too careful. One particular ink type seems to leak anyway even in the new pen. I'd like to hear from more users before giving out more information, I don't want to cause a scare until I've collected robust information and many experiences.

Edited by KingRoach, 17 October 2019 - 00:44.

#4 NighthawkSix

NighthawkSix

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 October 2019 - 04:56

I have one of these pens and haven't had any leaking issues with it. It's my travel pen because I can throw it in a briefcase and not worry about it while flying.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: opus, demo, demonstrator, leak, overflow, feed

Sponsored Content

|