• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SlowRain

• Honeybadgers

• A Smug Dill

• bemon

I suggest a Duke Fountain Pen

The nib will be stiff but smooth, the aesthetic is Chinese, not that of a Chinese copy of another manufacturer and they are rather inexpensive. Specifically a #16 Fully Golden Metal, or a Duke Supreme Emperor in Light Green.

We (my wife and I) have some Chinese-Canadian friends, so we are somewhat familiar with certain Chinese tastes and preferences in regard to gifts. I am referring to the preference for either gold or money, or items representative of such, which both these pens suggest. I also suggest you give it to her to indicate that you wish her good luck towards the future in this regard rather than she purchase it herself. Symbolism is important, especially in a marriage.

Edited by Parker51

I don't think that's going to fly:

1. They're still too wide for her.

2. China threatens to invade us daily. I'd rather people didn't contribute to their army.

I understand your reasoning on the second part, and I get where you're coming from. But my wife is totally the opposite. She hates gifts. No one, including me, has ever been able to give her a gift she likes. She usually ends up re-gifting them. She makes her own money and buys her own things is sort of her attitude. That's why I've asked for so many pictures and recommendations. Partially to steer her towards pens known to have good nibs, but also because I'm getting her to (unknowingly) pick out a future pen that I know she'll never buy for herself because it's too expensive for what she's willing to pay. Risky on my part, but I think I'll survive. :D

However, for anyone else reading this, it may be best to stick to Parker51's advice above.

Pelikan M320 Ruby red?

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Just know that the slim Targa takes a hard to find converter. Regular Sheaffer converters won't fit.

That's right. but there are modern substitutes like the Kaweco Sport squeeze converter which is included by the seller I mentioned. NOS Sheaffer slim squeeze converters also seem to be available from the seller I mentioned in case anyone is looking for them: https://www.peytonstreetpens.com/sheaffer/targa/sheaffer-slim-squeeze-converter-for-slim-targa-and-fashion-i-new-old-stock-works-well.html

Hope this helps.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

It would have to be something local. She wouldn't be something she'd want to pay international shipping on for something she couldn't see and touch when buying.

Oh OK.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

NOS cross spire can be had in the $70 range for an 18k nib and great, premium feel. In order to make it take bottled ink, you need a cartridge and ink sac made together into a squeeze converter (If you get a spire, let me know and I'll make/mail you one for free, they have an agitator and hold a damn near cavernous amount of ink. )

If you have about $70, that's the one that gets my vote. the feel and fit/finish are a huge step up from the lamy CP-1, it has a super fast 1/2 turn to cap/uncap, and 3/4 turn spin to post (it just flies on and off, just have to make sure to twist the cap on a tiny bit tighter than you'd expect to prevent it from uncapping, but as is the same with all short-thread caps)

It's by far the thinnest reasonably priced pen out there. I love mine.

There's also the rotring 900, Nos examples online are around $65-90. the EF in mine is amazing and the fit/finish is superb.

But if you only have $30-40, the CP-1 is basically perfect. I have a FC NEO on the way, but haven't gotten it yet to try. My only gripe about the CP-1 is the EF nib is kinda junk, though if I bought a CP-1 for someone, I'd just get it in something fun like a broad and order a cheap, $1.50 chinese EF knockoff, which ironically has better QC and a proper EF line, and give both to the person so they could have two nibs.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

How about Jinhao 51A open nib acrylic version ; that should be well within being priced cheap and still offer a straight forward C/C with no.5 nib its a typical Asian FM so its fine enough I would say

Edited by Mech-for-i

My wrong not reading all through ; might be alternatively ... try ... Sailor Young Profit or Sailor Highace Neo both quite economically priced. Pilot Cavalier is another model you should take a look at

Edited by Mech-for-i

She ended up going with a blue Pilot Explorer and Pilot's standard blue ink. I'm not a fan of either, but it's a starting point. I actually thought she'd go for a cutesy ink, but she may consider that later. As a bonus, the shop also had a Waterman Hemisphere, which she seemed to like as well.

Thanks, everyone, for your input.

She ended up going with a blue Pilot Explorer and Pilot's standard blue ink. I'm not a fan of either, but it's a starting point. I actually thought she'd go for a cutesy ink, but she may consider that later. As a bonus, the shop also had a Waterman Hemisphere, which she seemed to like as well.

Thanks, everyone, for your input.

Congrats :)

Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous  Who taught by the pen

Taught man that which he knew not (96/3-5)

Snailmail3.png Snail Mail 

Faber Castell Ambition - possibly the best steel nibs with consistent quality. The resin models are 50-60 USD and are little pieces of art, in my opinion.

Edited by YonathanZ

is the explorer that thin? I was under the impression if was rather moderate-sized.

It sounds like she likes more typical sized pens than thin ones.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

• 4 weeks later...

After a bit of time with the pen, she prefers Noodler's Baystate Blue to the generic Pilot blue ink (less spread). She also prefers writing upside down with it because, even though it's a Japanese "F" nib, it still doesn't produce a thin enough line. So now I know where to go from here: Japanese EF. I'm looking for a thin, light, understated, elegant Japanese EF pen. I can take my time with this one, though, because she has something workable in the interim.