Conway Stewart Tavy Vs. J.herbin Bleu Des Profondeurs—Can Anyone Compare Them?

Joane

If anyone has experience with these two inks and can comment on how they compare, both in colour and performance, it would be greatly appreciated. I have Bleu des Profondeurs and saw Tavy on the internet. Looks really nice but how close is it to Bleu des Profondeurs? Do they have enough individual qualities to make them stand out from each other? It's hard to tell from an internet swatch; hearing about first-hand experience would be fantastic. Thanks in advance!

Happiness is a real Montblanc...

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Joane

• chromantic

• inkstainedruth

• Erik Dalton

I recall that the Conway Stewart Tavy being more teal leaning. It's a long time since I used it, though, because I think I just had a sample. My understanding was that those inks were made by Diamine (but I don't remember if the CS line was just relabeled Diamine inks the way the Chesterfield line that xfountainpens.com (now Birmingham Pens) used to sell. I do vaguely remember thinking that Tavy looked a lot like Diamine Denim (which I already had a full bottle of). Didn't know that the CS inks were even still available....

Bleu des Profondeurs is more of a straight dark blue, than a blue-black. I liked it enough to get a full bottle of it recently.

Hope this helps.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Thanks, ISR, for explaining the colour differences. If Tavy leans toward teal, yes, that would be different.

Joane, what is that red demonstrator in your photo?

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

Joane, what is that red demonstrator in your photo?

It may look like a demonstrator in the photo but it's actually opaque celluloid marble, a lever filler. It does not have a name on the pen and has a warranted no-name nib as well. It's a pen I once found in an antique mall while traveling through New England. I have no idea why there are no manufacturer's marks on it but it writes very well.

Thanks, now that you said it, I can see it's marbled. I thought it was odd that it'd be a demo because it's obviously a lever-filler.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

Thanks, now that you said it, I can see it's marbled. I thought it was odd that it'd be a demo because it's obviously a lever-filler.

Yes, that would be quite a trick!

I’ve used both Tavy. Of the two I prefer the Bleu des Profondeurs. It’s much wetter, smoother and is a dark blue that dries with a very sight hint of grey to it. Similar to De Atramentis Atlantic Blue. The Bleu des Profondeurs surprised me with how easily it cleaned up with just water. Because it is so wet, its a good fit in an extra fine or fine nib. Not so great in a broad wet writer.

The Tavy did not work out for me. It was sent to me by a guy who was trying to get me to choose it over Diamine Oxford blue. Compared to both the oxford blue and Bleu des Profondeurs, the Tavy seemed darker, almost black, less lubrication, and tended to dry up and clogg my nibs. Didn’t have any of those issues with either the Oxford Blue or Bleu des Profondeurs.

I’m using the Bleu des Profondeurs in my everyday pens. It’s the only ink I put in my P-51 vacs. I’m really happy with it. If you are a Diamine fan, Oxford Blue might also be a good alternate. The edge that Bleu des Profondeurs has over either Oxford Blue or Tavy, is the quick and easy clean up.

Just to qualify, what I’ve described is my experience. I think climate, location, the pen itself and writing style, also have effects on the performance of inks in a pen. I live on the east coast by the sea. Some inks act differently for me than they have been reported here by others. I love Montblanc Burgundy Red, but it clogs up my nibs first time, every time. I moved to De Atramentis Aubergine and love it. Some on here have complained about Aurora Blue Black crudding up their nibs. It’s one of my favorites and i use it a lot with no issues. So, there you have it. Hope i helped and didn’t add to your confusion 😀.. good luck, happy writing.

Thanks Old Salt for the detailed performance descriptions. East coast by the sea sounds like a great place to live! Interesting what you said about Burgundy Red. It has been my go-to burgundy but the new bottle I just got writes drier than the old one, making the colour lighter than it should be in some pens.

My experience with Bleu des Profondeurs echoes yours and I like everything about it. I like the idea of the teal tinge in Tavy as described by Ruth above but would check it out for dryness, which is not desirable to me, before any purchase.